Tuna Fish: What do you do with it w/o the mayo?????

Options

Replies

• Skhwee
    Skhwee Posts: 1
    Options
    I mix tuna w/ cucumbers and tomatoes (finely chopped) and a spoon full of plain yogurt to 'hold it together'. Omega 3's and extra veggies and doesn't taste terrible...
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'd say Greek yogurt- or light sour cream are the closest taste to mayo in that situation.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    whats wrong with fat?

fat is friggin tasty.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    avocado, I also add some dill relish for flavor.
  • adriadawn19
    adriadawn19 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If in a sandwich, make a tuna melt with cheese and pickles, a bit of salt and pepper :)

That sounds really good right about now and i have no tuna :(
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Mustard and hot sauce and then put it on a salad. Or Greek yogurt with black pepper and parsley. If you buy the tuna with oil, just some pepper, salt, and very finely diced tomatoes and celery work very well.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    i buy the small tins of flavored tuna, the tomto and onion, lemon dill, tomato basil, lemon pepper, thai chili, peanut satay, lime and jalapeno....theres soooo many flavors. the tomato and onion is the best over all that i can find so far, nutrirtion wise...i buy the no name brand ones, the tuna is chunkier and i like that. i will eat it straight out of the tin, or put it on wisecrakers (like a huuuuge cracker thats onlu 80cals) or ryvita crackers...something like that. theyre also good in wraps or over a salad. depends on what ur tastes are, but they are a good alternative and lets u skip the mayo :)
  • tineekanicole
    Options
    There are so many ways to eat tuna! I dislike mayo..so
    1. Eat it plain
    2. Add salsa & hot sauce
    3. Add mustard
    4. Add different seasonings (I like chilli & onion powder)
    5. Add vegetables (I add zuchinni/yellow squash) &
    6. Add Grated or shredded cheese
    7. I make tuna wraps/sandwiches/qesadilla, etc;
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    i subbed greek yogurt for mayo and it was fine
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I'm not even a fan of tuna with mayo. I don't even think it's very popular here. Usually, you get it at American chains like Subway. Otherwise, tuna is eaten plain or added to other dishes like that. Some eat it with tomato sauce, too, but that's not really for me.

My friend makes an awesome tuna salad. Just tuna, a little bit of boiled rice, red and green bell peppers, onions and sweetcorn (you could pretty much mix in any kind of vegetables, though) and then add a little bit of soy sauce. It's so hard to resist!
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    smoked tuna dip....with FF sour cream and ranch dips packet, onions, dill relish, lemon juice or no ranch dips use all mentioned before and use salt, pepper, garlic, celery salt
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Mix it with brown rice and vegetables.

I will definitely have to try the avacodos and greek yogurt idea though.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Yestaerday, I whipped a half can of tuna with 2 eggs, some sliced tomatoes, onion, cheese, and a spoonful of pasta sauce. Made scrambled eggs for one that was over 30g of protein :) I warn you, it looks yucky, but tastes pretty good :)
  • dwyadygwyad
    dwyadygwyad Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Below is my all time favorite tuna salad. It hits all my cravings- I feel sated very quickly since it's so flavorful.

I hope others enjoy as much as I do! I found it on SmittenKitchen.com

(I've learned that spending extra on good balsamic vinegar and good olive oil is always worth it, especially in the case of salads)

Dill-Pepperoncini Tuna Salad
    Recipe from the New York Times Magazine 9/5/04

Yield: About 2 cups.

10 to 12 ounces good-quality solid tuna packed in olive oil, well drained*
    2 scallions washed, trimmed and chopped fine
    6 pepperoncini peppers, destemmed and julienned
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
    1/4 cup roasted or smoked almonds, chopped roughly, or a small handful toasted pine nuts
    1/4 cup good-quality olive oil (or the oil the tuna was packed in)
    1 tablespoon smooth Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
    1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice or more to taste
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.

Mix all the ingredients well with a fork in a medium-size, nonreactive bowl. Taste and adjust the lemon juice and pepper. The salad can be made up to 3 days in advance and refrigerated.

* I’ve done this two ways, with oil-packed and the reserved oil, as well as using drained water-packed and adding in 1/4 cup olive oil, and have to say that I find the latter to be a far less oil-slicked result. You can always add more olive oil, but I found it hard to take away the heaviness the oil-packed came with.
  • asticoral
    Options
    A good buddy shared a recipe and I've added my altered version to the database as: Homemade - Flat Tuna Patty
    I've also used different types of fish
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Mix in an egg and 1/4 cup of fine bread crumbs and then cook it up.

^^^sounds good!
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I started adding a little bit of hummus to mine.

Currently either Spicy Black Bean or Spicy Red Pepper, great.
    Otherwise greek yogurt or sometimes just some mustard. Not a big fan of mayo though.
  • PFunkkkk
    Options
    Lime!! Lots of Lime :)
  • FatDar2012
    Options
    I eat it right out of the can. I love salad dressing but don't need all the calories. Another thing I like is just a little horseradish sauce. You don't need that much and it's just enough to give it some kick.
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    MIx it with Fat Free Ranch instead.