Am I a good witch, or a bad witch?

Options
Spent the last couple of nights out of town, and have consistently gone over my calories. Not outrageously, but I've had things I normally wouldn't-like a slice of whole grain nut bread and a few bites of tiramisu tonight, and melted cheese and chicken quesadillas last night. On the one hand, I am enjoying myself while showing SO much more restraint than in the past, but on the other, I am eating more than I should. My blood sugar is great (120 two hours post tonight), but the self-abuse and regret are kicking in. Should I just keep up what i'm doing and not sweat a couple of days? Or get my act together before I eat anything else?

Kris

Replies

• jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I think you should do whatever will make the self-abuse stop!

good luck! :)
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you're aware of what you're eating and making sure to control your portions, a day or two won't hurt. You have to give yourself an indulgence every so often..it's part of life. Just don't overdo it.
  • natashaamee
    natashaamee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I struggle with that too. When I'm good, I'm SO good, but I am affected by getting off track just a little bit, plus being a type 1. Don't beat yourself up, it will only affect you negatively. If you can't shake the feeling, go for a REALLY great work out.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Remember, if you are just going over a bit for a day or two, it can't do any real damage. As long as you aren't more than 500 over, you are still in deficit - so still losing weight. Maybe not quite a pound this week, but still in deficit for the week is still a loss. It's NOT "messing up".
  • loosecannonzs
    Options
    Enjoy your time out of town and keep the portions down and everything will be fine. Just don't binge because you know its back to work (diet / exercise) Monday.
  • davidrt
    davidrt Posts: 162
    Options
    we all eat a little more more than we should once in a while dont kick yourself for that as long as your blood sugar is ok dont sweat it if you want something sometimes its better to give in and eat a little rather than eat a whole lot more of something else, get it back on track you will do fine
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    You may be going over the calories you get to lose 1 lb/wk, but by how much?

Plug in your current weight as your current weight and select maintain. See how many calories you get? If you were under that amount YOU ARE NOT GAINING and there is no reason to beat yourself up.

NOW plug in your goal weight as your current weight and select maintain. See how many calories you get? If you were under that amount YOU ARE STILL LOSING and there is certainly no reason to beat yourself up

Okay now reset your goals to what they were

I had to give myself a range not to drive myself too crazy.

I did the math (by playing with the MFP goals section) 1200 as my rock bottom, lose 1 lb/wk as my target and maintain my goal weight as the top of my range. As long as I keep within in this range I'll lose. I tend to naturally zig zag my calories 3-4 at very close to my target and then a higher calorie day closer to the top of my range.

As long as I stayed under maintain my current weight calories (i recheck this periodically) I won't gain. So no need to throw in the towel, just pick-up where I left off.

Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. I don't want to get so restrictive that it creates more stress. I'm doing this to improve my life. I want to figure out ways to be HAPPIER!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Great advice, all. And I've only gone over by 300-500 a day, and I have taken care to keep the carbs/sugar from getting crazy. I'm going to try to muzzle the squealing voice in my head and keep doing what I'm doing. After all, I'm not likely to have another excursion like this for a year, at least. Thank you!

Kris