Does cauliflower rice taste like cauliflower.....

Options
I know this may seem like a stupid question...

But I'm a vegetable-phobe. But I hear such good reviews about this stuff that it may be a good way of me getting some vegetable into my diet.

any help or guidance much appreciated

<3

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does - just like steamed cauliflower.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It IS cauliflower, just riced so it's in little rice-like pieces.

Cauliflower doesn't have a strong taste, IMO. (But then I like it, although wouldn't waste time ricing it.)
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    I couple of sneaky tricks to get more vegatables into your diet:
    • When cooking any ground/minced beef meal finely grate a carrot into the mix when frying. This works especially well with bolognaise.
    • Roasted vegatables take on whole new flavours - especially swede/turnip, parsnips, carrots, red onion, so bang them in the oven with some garlic and olive oil.
    • Spinach or kale is great blended into protein shakes or smoothies. It looks weird but is virtually tasteless.
  • NatalieThomas90
    NatalieThomas90 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!

maybe I will try it along with some stronger flavours and see if I can get away with it!

• aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I like to make cauli fried rice, something like this: http://pinchofyum.com/15-minute-cauliflower-fried-rice You could add shrimp or chicken or beef for more protein. It will never taste like rice-rice, but adding veggies and a little soy sauce and spices makes it really delicious!
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I had it for the first time last week. It tastes no different than regular steamed cauliflower just in littler pieces. I happen to like cauliflower though. I'd actually prefer to just have the larger pieces but I can see how ricing it is preferable for some people. I can't imagine actually replacing rice with it though - eating my curry over cauliflower and not basmati rice sounds like no fun at all.
  • NatalieThomas90
    Options
    anything to bulk a meal and cut calories :)

thanks for the link
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I like to sauté mine after it's riced in some butter with whatever herbs/spices I have on hand. The cauliflower flavor is so mild that it is easily masked by other stronger flavors.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Of course it does...it's cauliflower...what else would it taste like?
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    My favourite way to cook cauliflower is cut into florets, coat with a little olive oil (about 20mls does a whole head) ad a couple of tsp of turmeric powder and roast in the oven for about 30 mins.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, yes
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Meh, you put enough other stuff in it and you can't taste it I don't think. Good for being a bed for protein I think. I make it often. Or ground up lentils...
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    It's good in a lentil stew, in fact, and I often add it (and zucchini) when I made a meat sauce for pasta.

I never get the point of ricing it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's good in a lentil stew, in fact, and I often add it (and zucchini) when I made a meat sauce for pasta.

For me, it was to trick my 16 year old. And I like the volume I can get with it in place of rice.

Also, I just like using my food processor.
  • NatalieThomas90
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind advice, and the gentle judgement ;)

I will definitely give it a shot.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options

I generally follow a low carb diet, but I like having meals that traditionally are served with/over rice like stir fries, etc., so riced cauliflower is a great alternative without the added calories and carbs.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

For me, it was to trick my 16 year old. And I like the volume I can get with it in place of rice.

Ah, that's the difference. I don't like using my food processor. I am lazy and minimize prep and clean-up.
  • lemurcat12
    edited April 2016
    Options

I generally follow a low carb diet, but I like having meals that traditionally are served with/over rice like stir fries, etc., so riced cauliflower is a great alternative without the added calories and carbs.

Oh, I don't eat much rice (I don't low carb, but rice just isn't of interest to me--I like pretty much all non starchy veg more than rice) but don't see a need to create mock rice. I'd do a stir fry with extra veg (including chopped up cauliflower, usually) and not rice it. Similarly, while I love spaghetti squash, I also used to roast butternut and put pasta sauce on it, and enjoy it as much, and never saw any reason to make mock pasta if it didn't naturally happen as with the spaghetti squash (I also like zucchini in my sauces, so it would be weird to add it as pretend noodles). So for me it's not subbing the cauliflower that I don't get but bothering to rice it.

Obviously people's preferences vary, though. I'm not saying it's wrong, just that I don't understand why it's worth the trouble. (Like I said above, I'm lazy.)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Ah, that's the difference. I don't like using my food processor. I am lazy and minimize prep and clean-up.

I rice a head at once and freeze it in single servings.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    No it didn't taste like cauliflower and I didnt even realize. I just thought it was white rice amazingly when it was a bed under a curry. On its own I would probably twig to it being different I sue.