Veggies kill my stomach.

Options
mandamoxie
mandamoxie Posts: 27 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I've been trying to add more vegetables to my diet, because I tend not to eat enough of them. However, when I eat more than like a half cup of veggies at a time my stomach cramps up really bad. This applies to both cooked and raw veggies. It's a bummer, because there are certain veggies I do really enjoy, and things like salads are totally out. Any time I eat them, I'm dying a half an hour later.

I'm sure this is just because they're harder to digest than the crap I'm used to, but I was wondering if there are any veggies in particular that are easier on the stomach? Because right now all I can really handle much of are cooked carrots and corn.

Replies

• ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I could handle only cooked zucchini and carrots. So I avoid all else. So sorry you're going through this!!
  • mandamoxie
    mandamoxie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ydyms wrote: »
    I could handle only cooked zucchini and carrots. So I avoid all else. So sorry you're going through this!!

I'll have to give zucchini a shot. It's been a while since I've had that.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hugs and good luck:)
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Do you chew them really thoroughly? I've heard that can help.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I thought corn was hard to digest? Maybe someone else will chime in on that. My mom is on a low fodmap diet for IBS, and there are seeming random vegetables that do that to her. Have you spoken with your doctor? It seems the right/wrong foods for you would depend on what is causing the problem. Best of luck to you!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I suggest alternating every bite with a little carb, protein or fat. See if that helps. (post Bariatric patients may have interesting intolerances. I have not cramped up with vegetables but I know the feeling).
  • happyveganrachel
    happyveganrachel Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you're not used to eating veggies your stomach won't have the right enzymes to break down certain veggies. You need to build it up little by little until your stomach develops proper enzymes to break down veggies. I have a sensitive digestive system and certain combinations also make me hurt really bad! Cauliflower and potatoes are really easy on the stomach if cooked very thoroughly. Try incorporating them more and more little at a time. A probiotic from the health food store may help also. If this doesn't work out and you still hurt, you may have a form of IBS or your body is sensitive to certain food combinations. Hope this helps :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Maybe the vegetables from a low fodmaps diet would work for you. I have similar issues. I think the cramping is probably caused by your particular gut microbes, and what they produce when they break down the complex sugars that are in some veggies. What you eat will affect your gut microbiota, so gradually introducing more vegetables might be possible in the future. Here's a page with veggies to possibly avoid and veggies that might be okay. Carrots and corn are both on the okay list.

http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

P.S. If I haven't completely overdone it, and I'm a little crampy, having ginger tea helps me.
  • LadiJae86
    LadiJae86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    mandamoxie wrote: »
    I've been trying to add more vegetables to my diet, because I tend not to eat enough of them. However, when I eat more than like a half cup of veggies at a time my stomach cramps up really bad. This applies to both cooked and raw veggies. It's a bummer, because there are certain veggies I do really enjoy, and things like salads are totally out. Any time I eat them, I'm dying a half an hour later.

I'm sure this is just because they're harder to digest than the crap I'm used to, but I was wondering if there are any veggies in particular that are easier on the stomach? Because right now all I can really handle much of are cooked carrots and corn.

Try blending them into a smoothie. I have IBS. So me eatting veggies, especially raw, turns my colons into a frog horn lol. I can clear a room. But i have found, drinking them helps my stomach digest them more. Throw in a banana or some pineapple for a little sweetness. :)
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    mandamoxie wrote: »
    ydyms wrote: »

I'll have to give zucchini a shot. It's been a while since I've had that.
    Zucchini noodles! Cut the zucchini up like pasta and cook with your favorite sauce. yum!
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I eat only seafood and vegetables (going on 23 years now). When I first converted, even though I wasn't a big meat eater before, I did have some intestinal difficulties. For me, that went away over time. Friends who get gas from broccoli or beans are like, "How can you eat those!??!" but I found that my body got used to it over a few months. I can say that some folks who have issues with diverticulitis have shared that seeded vegetables (like cucumbers) seem to cause added discomfort, so I'd avoid those at least at first. I have heard this - and I don't know that it's true - that some people seem to have trouble eating lettuce, blaming it on "roughage" when really the issue is that there is a high concentration of water in lettuce, which once in the intestines, give the whooshing effect. If this is true, is it possible that you're a little dehydrated?
  • NatiaGonitellie
    NatiaGonitellie Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I had this problem the first time I was increasing my veg intake.
    Have you considered blending up a handful of spinach in a smoothie.

1 fruit 2 veg.. for example 2 serving smoothie.

2 cup almond milk (any 60 calorie)
    5 oz raw baby spinach
    1/2 of a baked sweet potato (nothing added, just baked)
    1 banana
    1/2 - 3/4 cup yogurt
    1 raw egg
    1 tbl sunflower seed (no salt)

Blend until it is completely liquefied.

This worked for me, decreasing the digestive issues I was experiencing.

If downing the drink all at one sitting still causes problems, just sip on it as a snack during the day.

• Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    ekat120 wrote: »
    Do you chew them really thoroughly? I've heard that can help.

This. Sounds obvious, but veggies sometimes need a bit more chewing.

Avoid sweetcorn and sweet red bell peppers. I find they go out pretty much exactly as they went in (TMI...!)

Or try making a veggie soup and really really cook them down. Any nutrients that go out the veggies, they go right into the broth so win win. I like making minestrone, with leeks, celery, cabbage, butter beans, carrots, tomatoes and basil. Nom.
  • Jelenajelenajelenajelena
    Options
    Do you have the same problem with fruit/veggie smoothies/juices/soups? If you haven't tried having them this way, it might be worth a try.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Or try making a veggie soup and really really cook them down. Any nutrients that go out the veggies, they go right into the broth so win win. I like making minestrone, with leeks, celery, cabbage, butter beans, carrots, tomatoes and basil. Nom.

I agree, a really mushy soup might make it easier for you to digest veggies at first. I would also leave out all members of the cabbage family such as broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, they can be much harder to digest for a lot of people. Zucchini and all other kinds of squash should be easier, also green beans, maybe tomatoes (but some people also have trouble with them). Cook everything well in the beginning, I wouldn't start with raw veggies and then start with small amounts and increase slowly.

• eisenj97
    eisenj97 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have crohn's disease and veggies also give me a hard time. When it comes to lettuce, the hard white part really makes my guts roll, so I stick with spinach and a little baby Romain sometimes. Boston "butter" lettuce is generally even better, I just have a hard time finding it. Basically anything that doesn't have a huge crunch when you bite. I've also had luck with
    -avocado
    -raw green beans (I know a lot of people that this varies with)
    -raw pea pods (I know a lot of people that this varies with)
    -squash
    *mashed butternut with some brown sugar and nutmeg (prep like mashed potatoes)