Replies

• TerriK14
    TerriK14 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Track everything.

• kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Some veggies are fine to guesstimate in my opinion (lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, they have so few calories, being 100 g off makes no difference to me), fruit I always count or at least try to guess closer to the real weight (still have never gotten around to weighing a kiwi so no idea if those entries are remotely close).
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I track them because they add to the macro counts.
  • milmil89
    milmil89 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I count everything!
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    My body counts the calories in fruits and vegetables, so I count them too.

This. I've eaten 50 calories worth of veggies today and I'm having more tonight. I count everything that has calories.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    they have calories, so yes, of course
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    yes, count the calories, but don't pay too much attention to their sugar content as it's natural sugars, and you can kinda consume as much natural sugar as you want, it's the added sugar that'll do the damage
  • helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    yes, count the calories, but don't pay too much attention to their sugar content as it's natural sugars, and you can kinda consume as much natural sugar as you want, it's the added sugar that'll do the damage

It's not just added sugar that does damage. You can't eat as much natural sugar as you want, sugar is still sugar. Excessive amounts of sugar could lead to tooth decay, weight gain, and increased triglyceride levels (which may contribute to heart disease and high cholesterol) even from fruits.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options

It's not just added sugar that does damage. You can't eat as much natural sugar as you want, sugar is still sugar. Excessive amounts of sugar could lead to tooth decay, weight gain, and increased triglyceride levels (which may contribute to heart disease and high cholesterol) even from fruits.

Sugar also messes with your testosterone levels. A lot of young healthy guys get TRT drugs by eating a ton of sugar and staying up all night before going to get their test levels taken at the doctor. The lack of sleep and the sugar decreases the 20-something year old guys levels on the test to the levels of a 90 year old man. Doctor says omg and gives him steroids.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

What are you considering 'excessive'? Weight gain is caused by eating over your maintenance level calories, not because you eat a certain type of food. Unless you mean eating a high amount of calories in the form of sugary foods, which is pushing you over your calorie goals? But, the same would happen if you ate over in calories from broccoli, eggs, chicken, whole grains etc etc.

I've never tracked sugar intake, but I do eat it every day (mostly in 'added' form since I'm not a fan of fruit). As long as I stay within my allotted calories I'm good to go (my cholesterol numbers are excellent, maintaining my weight loss etc).

Could you clarify what you mean by excessive? Thanks!
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It probably doesn't matter when you have a lot of weight to lose. When I was near 300 lbs I didn't count fruit and vegetables, but then I was following weight watchers. When you're very overweight you have a lot of wiggle room but as you get down to a healthy bmi it becomes harder to shed body fat.

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i track everything that goes into my mouth. fruits and veggies have calories.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way.

I want to lose a half pound a week. That's cutting 250 calories a day.

If I didn't count my apple, carrots, salad and asparagus (250ish calories), I would maintain weight, not lose!