Meal Replacement Shakes?

Options
How well do meal replacement shakes work? How many should I drink to avoid being hungry? Any advice helps

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Just eat regular food, calories are calories whether in solid or liquid
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I would like to know the same thing. There are times I can't stop and eat a regular meal. one I can drink as I drive or do something else would be wonderful. I just want them to be filling and not be something that stimulates hunger like carbs do.
  • kgamola
    kgamola Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been having Magnum quattro protein powder everyday with some almond milk. I don't initially take it as a meal replacement but it does fill me up for a good two hours, and the added protein is a huge bonus!
  • evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem I see with shakes used as a short term diet plan, is it teaches you nothing about how to eat at maintenance. If you want to have some on hand for when you are in a hurry and don't have time for a meal once in a while, IMO that's not too terrible. But if you plan on the whole shake for breakfast shake for lunch and a sensible dinner, I don't thing that's the best for long term success. You will lose weight, but 9 out of 10 people gain that right back once they go off the shakes.
  • Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v27/n5/abs/0802258a.html

Weight management using a meal replacement strategy: meta and pooling analysis from six studies

CONCLUSION: This first systematic evaluation of randomized controlled trials utilizing PMR plans for weight management suggests that these types of interventions can safely and effectively produce significant sustainable weight loss and improve weight-related risk factors of disease.

https://nutritionj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1475-2891-9-11

Efficacy of a meal replacement diet plan compared to a food-based diet plan after a period of weight loss and weight maintenance: a randomized controlled trial

Conclusion: Our data suggest that the meal replacement diet plan evaluated was an effective strategy for producing robust initial weight loss and for achieving improvements in a number of health-related parameters during weight maintenance, including inflammation and oxidative stress, two key factors more recently shown to underlie our most common chronic diseases.

My opinion:
    They work, they won't teach you anything, you'll be hungry. Keeping the weight off if you haven't amended your habits will be *really* difficult.
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have some Svelte shakes on standby. I LOVE the cappuccino flavor. I primarily drink them instead of having a morning snack. They really aren't sufficient to replace an entire meal at 180 calories. I've only been able to find the 11 ounce version locally, but you can get the larger ones online.