scales going the wrong way

Options
can anyone help me?? i am trying my hardest to loose weight and it is not working instead ive put on 3kg in a week?? im walking running calorie intake restricted to 1200 a day. have cut out coffee because i cant drink it without sugar im drinking 3lt of water every day. anyone any suggestion??

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Did you add in exercise?
    Are you using a food scale?
    Are you using accurate database entries when logging food? (There are a lot of inaccurate entries in the database since mose are made by users. Here recently when people who have asked for opinions opened their diary Ive seen chicken entries being used at only have 1/3-1/2 the calories they should.)
    How long has it been?
    Are you around your shark week?
  • TanishaMoore613
    TanishaMoore613 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If it's only been a week you need to give it some time, your body has to adjust to all the new changes.

I would like to add that it is great you are increasing your exercise and water intake but your calories are extremely low to be starting out. Granted I do not know your height, weight, or BMR you might want to increase them to at least 1300-1600 depending on those factors. If you put your body into extreme circumstances early in can have adverse effects- you don't want to go into starvation mode then your body will try to tests in as much fat as possible and it's hard enough to lose weight in general. You also have given yourself no wiggle room for when you hit plateaus to drop calories.

• TaraWatters43
    TaraWatters43 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    im 11stone 6lb i am 5ft 3ins my ideal weight is back to 8st. should i increase my calorie intake then?
  • shadow2soul
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What does MFP give you if you set it to lose 1 lb per week?

1200 calories is what MFP bottoms out at which makes me think you picked 2 lbs per week loss. That's pretty aggressive for someone who is looking to lose 48 lbs (usually recommended for 75+ lbs to lose).

And what about the questions I asked above?

I'll just leave these videos here for you to watch (both are pretty short):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI9ZSGeBkqc
    Being off by 12 grams adds 45 calories that would have gone unlogged. Errors like that multiple times a day can add up quickly and have you eating maintenance. I had protein bars a couple weeks ago and wish I would have made a video then, because every bar in the box was in the 50-60 gram range when they were supposed to weigh 45 grams. That was taking my 170 calorie bars to over 200 calories. If I hadn't been weighing them, I wouldn't have known which would have added a lot of unlogged calories to my day.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    If it's only been a week you need to give it some time, your body has to adjust to all the new changes.

I would like to add that it is great you are increasing your exercise and water intake but your calories are extremely low to be starting out. Granted I do not know your height, weight, or BMR you might want to increase them to at least 1300-1600 depending on those factors. If you put your body into extreme circumstances early in can have adverse effects- you don't want to go into starvation mode then your body will try to tests in as much fat as possible and it's hard enough to lose weight in general. You also have given yourself no wiggle room for when you hit plateaus to drop calories.

While I agree with most of this. I have to point out that this is a myth. Doesn't happen. If you are truly in " Starvation Mode " it doesn't result in lack of weight loss, but rapid weight loss since your body is resorting to using its muscles and organs as well as fat for fuel.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

While I agree with most of this. I have to point out that this is a myth. Doesn't happen. If you are truly in " Starvation Mode " it doesn't result in lack of weight loss, but rapid weight loss since your body is resorting to using its muscles and organs as well as fat for fuel.

And to make it simpler: if starvation mode as people know it actually existed, no one would be starving to death.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Did you add in exercise?
    Are you using a food scale?
    Are you using accurate database entries when logging food? (There are a lot of inaccurate entries in the database since mose are made by users. Here recently when people who have asked for opinions opened their diary Ive seen chicken entries being used at only have 1/3-1/2 the calories they should.)
    How long has it been?
    Are you around your shark week?

This!

+Are you weighing yourself at the same time of day in the same clothes? Is it possible you were really dehydrated at your first weigh-in and might be retaining water at your 2nd? I think much as we can have "high" scale weigh-ins that don't reflect our true weight because we are retaining water, we can also have abnormally low ones that will show up for a day and then disappear for a month. I think if you assume one day is your "real" weight you can think you gained, when really our weight varies a lot over time.