Replies

• ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Elliptical at a high pace, 180 to 200 spm, or 7 to 8 mph
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Elliptical! I switch out between jogging on trail or treadmill, and my elliptical. I can't do two days in a row with running. Numerous knee surgeries and just getting older. So I go lower impact every other day. I will also use workout videos instead. Killing calories currently with P90X.
  • medelaney13
    medelaney13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have an arch problem - something like plantar fasciitis. Make sure you have correct arch support, stretch your calves frequently, and make sure you don't use your running shoes for anything but running. If you can, get a gait analysis done for your running form. May need to be tweaked. Other indoor exercises include spinning, elliptical, swimming and rowing. All can produce high calorie burn.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Been doing treadmil for years and been tolerating the pain somehow ...as long as shoes are concerned I am almost sure the ones I have really help me with jogging.

But at a point where I want to get rid of torturing the feet lol....but enjoy the cardio.

May be rowing or elliptical is the way to go ...

Honestly.....if you have not been to a quality running store for an analysis, I would strongly recommend it. It's entirely possible you are running in the wrong shoes without even knowing it. Or you could be running with too many miles on your shoes.
    Make sure you are wearing quality socks too. It's amazing what a difference that can make.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside honestly. I have issues with pounding the treadmill and it bothers me feet.
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Love this place...thanks for great ideas/alternate/ suggestions.

Going go take a look at my shoes ...and probably going to try alternate cardio workouts ...a mix of joggin, elliptical, cycling...:)
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Try a stepmill. It will kick your butt. Or if you really want to go there, find a Jacob's Ladder. It is THE most intensive cardio I have ever done, bar none.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Try the elliptical, easy on the knees and feet.

+1. If you train on the elliptical for a while you will achieve the same heart rate as running. Impact stress is minimal. (This fact has both advantages and disadvantages.)