Help...my weight Plateaued

Options
I have been on a 900 calorie intake eating regiment, & my weight has plateaued. What's the best way to bust through a plateau? TIA

Replies

• stephchadz
    stephchadz Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating 900 calories? The lowest recommended calorie intake recommended is 1200 for women and 1500 for men. Are you being monitored by a doctor?

As for the plateau, are you weighing and logging everything you eat? If not you are probably eating more than you think.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    A plateau is 6 weeks or more of no weight movement while being CONSISTENT with diet and exercise. If at any time you "cheated" on the program, it's not a plateau. That's why they are rare.
    You may have stalled, but I can see why. If you're eating just 900 calories a day (not recommended unless you're really really petite), your body has just slowed it's metabolic rate down to compensate for the really low calories. It's called homeostasis. It will stay in homeostasis unless you provide a way for it to burn more calories without keeping your RMR low.
    You may not want to hear it, but you need to eat more than that. 1200 minimum and if you exercise too, then half your exercise calories on top of that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    stephchadz wrote: »
    As for the plateau, are you weighing and logging everything you eat? If not you are probably eating more than you think.

This. The biggest problem with people thinking they are eating 900 calories of 1200 calories or whatever when it is really low like that, is they feel so restricted they underestimate and lie to themselves about how much they are really eating.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Excellent explanation, ninerbuff. Not that I'm any expert, but I didn't know a the difference between a stall and plateau. Your reply explains a lot of my situation - now I don't feel so bad
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    @stephchadz - the answer is going to seem counterintuitive, but EAT MORE
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Raptor2763 wrote: »

smh.....if they aren't losing weight eating the amount they are eating how is eating more going to make them lose weight?

CICO
  • TanishaMoore613
    TanishaMoore613 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

smh.....if they aren't losing weight eating the amount they are eating how is eating more going to make them lose weight?

CICO

Not smh, he is right. Because they aren't sustaining or nourishing their body. In simple terms you have to eat to lose weight, biologically your body wants to preserve all fat and when you put it in severe starvation mode( i.e. 900 calories) you are signaling to your brain that your body won't get any nutrients so it will cling on to everything little thing you feed it and slow down your metabolism in order to keep you going. Now I am am not a fitness expert but I am I bio-chemist who minored in nutrition so I know a little bit from the biological side.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

CICO

Not smh, he is right. Because they aren't sustaining or nourishing their body. In simple terms you have to eat to lose weight, biologically your body wants to preserve all fat and when you put it in severe starvation mode( i.e. 900 calories) you are signaling to your brain that your body won't get any nutrients so it will cling on to everything little thing you feed it and slow down your metabolism in order to keep you going. Now I am am not a fitness expert but I am I bio-chemist who minored in nutrition so I know a little bit from the biological side.

Then you should know that starvation mode does not exist in this way.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

CICO

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss/p1
  • TanishaMoore613
    Options

CICO

get a refund for the lack of education then...

our bodies go through adaptive thermogenisis as we lose weight aka need less to maintain our weight but our bodies do not "hold on to fat" if we are eating too little....otherwise starvation wouldn't be a real threat during famine.
    synacious wrote: »

CICO

Damn no need to try to come at my education and both of you notice I said in simple terms to make it easier concept to grasp. My term "starvation mode" I used instead of saying the natural mechanism to protect from your body the metabolic damage weight loss incurs the, body trying to conserve energy by reducing the calories you burn. so I am aware of adaptive thermogenesis responding to reduced caloric intake by reducing expenditure bro maintain energy balance.

I tried using just basic easy to understand language and simplify but I learned my lesson and will keep my comments and my background to myself. Thanks for the lesson

• SezxyStef
    Options

CICO

our bodies go through adaptive thermogenisis as we lose weight aka need less to maintain our weight but our bodies do not "hold on to fat" if we are eating too little....otherwise starvation wouldn't be a real threat during famine.

CICO

Damn no need to try to come at my education and both of you notice I said in simple terms to make it easier concept to grasp. My term "starvation mode" I used instead of saying the natural mechanism to protect from your body the metabolic damage weight loss incurs the, body trying to conserve energy by reducing the calories you burn. so I am aware of adaptive thermogenesis responding to reduced caloric intake by reducing expenditure bro maintain energy balance.

I tried using just basic easy to understand language and simplify but I learned my lesson and will keep my comments and my background to myself. Thanks for the lesson

you agreed with someone who said eat more to lose weight when the OP isn't losing due to over eating...

what did you expect?
  • ChrisRendon1128
    ChrisRendon1128 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    On my 600 lb life, the Doctor recommends his oversized patients to eat 800-1000 calories a day... So maybe eating less than 1200 calories in some instances is not necessarily a bad thing?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    On my 600 lb life, the Doctor recommends his oversized patients to eat 800-1000 calories a day... So maybe eating less than 1200 calories in some instances is not necessarily a bad thing?

these people are under a doctors supervision...that is the only time it is acceptable.

But this OP is not eating 900 calories or they would be losing lots of weight.
  • TanishaMoore613
    edited April 2016
    Options

CICO

CICO

you agreed with someone who said eat more to lose weight when the OP isn't losing due to over eating...

what did you expect?

Well obviously not that lol. In hindsight I should of asked for her stats to better understand why the caloric intake was so low and I was focused more on that in my response drifting off from my initial agreement with the comment but Honestly! I completely missed the parts where it's known that he/she was overeating and that is because it is speculation.although it might be correct or not I'm going off of what it's laid out and unless severely under or overweight and if op is in fact eating 900 calories a day he/she does need to be eating more -you can still eat more calories and be in a deficit. Many have said it should be raised so I'm not completely off my rocker

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

CICO

CICO

LOL....There are sooo many people on MFP with "google knowledge qualifications" - and apparently that tops all real qualifications like yours!
    Agree with you Tanisha!
  • TanishaMoore613
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »

CICO

CICO

LOL....There are sooo many people on MFP with "google knowledge qualifications" - and apparently that tops all real qualifications like yours!
    Agree with you Tanisha!

Ctfu thank you! Now I'm human and it's possible to be wrong and I can admit it (see my previous posts ) but she really told me to get a refund on my education like damn- harsh much? Many people agreed with my general statement meaning to up her calories since we aren't sure if they are correct or not but I guess since I mentioned my schooling she got offended. I don't know what I did to her .

• ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? Open up your diary settings and the cause will probably become clear
  • TanishaMoore613
    edited April 2016
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »

CICO

CICO

Agree with you Tanisha!

I'm not the one who knocked her education, but my knowledge has nothing to do with Google. Adaptive thermogenesis is a thing, but starvation mode is not.

People who post here think starvation mode is when they eat 1200 calories and don't lose weight. Their "proof" is that they lose weight when they increase calories. The reality is that weight loss is not linear and the loss was delayed due to water weight or some other circumstance. Other reasons for the loss include not going through restrict and binge cycles due to a slightly higher calorie allowance and even being more accurate with logging due to the breathing room of increased calories.

On the flip side, most people who eat 1200 and "can't lose" are actually eating a lot more than they think. Starvation mode is referred to time and time again by people who are new to weight loss and I can't blame them because it's one of the most perpetuated weight loss myths out there.

Think about it logically for a minute; people are dying from starvation and they look like nothing but skin and bones. Starving children are not obese. What about people who are anorexic and what their bodies turn into after constant restriction? But no, starvation mode exists for the everyday person. Eat one calorie below what you think your allowance is and your body goes "Oh no, 1200 calories? I must be starving! Let's hold onto fat." 1200 calories is hardly starving. It's an easy myth to believe because people would rather buy into that than "You haven't lost weight in two months because you're eating more calories than you're burning."

Okay I cleared up what I meant when I said "starvation mode" and you really did correct me in a constructive manner I wasn't coming at you at all you are fine. I get your point.

And like I said earlier it's easier to use terms that people can get the gist of rather then throw around confusing nomenclature and concepts that are harder to grasp when new to fitness and health. Yes lesser of two evils and probably lazy but at least the general concept is gotten across you know? No going under 1200 calories by 1 or even 100 daily makes a person who is eating regularly and in proper amounts for their goals starve to death but there will be changes and adaptions made by the body when you consistently underestimate your calories to try to sustain you for as long as possible.

Like I told the other woman yes it is likely she might be overeating but I can't speculate that w/o knowing indefinitely so based off of what was given I responded. But I do agree with your point in general. And you were not rude in the least bit

To hit my point home it's like when someone new says they want to "tone up" anyone who know muscle knows that means building muscle but since that might scare or confuse someone I can say" tone" but have them get the same takeaway message. People jumping down my throat when I'm just tryna keep it simple