I took a WATER CHALLENGE: 3 Liters/28 days. B & A pictures!

Options
I have never, even once in my life, taken the advice to drink the water! I have tried, but for some reason, I hate drinking vast quantities of tasteless water. You could say I have a problem with drinking. ha

Then I saw a Before & After of a woman that took the challenge to drink 3 liters a day, for 28 days and I thought “why not? I’ve met my goal weight and I need a new goal now”. So I did it. Besides, that woman looked 10 years younger. Maybe it was the lighting, I don’t know but it was obvious and worth the challenge!

Below, the pictures before & after. They were taken in the same spot with the same lighting. Same shirt. My weight hasn’t changed in the 28 days. I haven’t been in the sun any more or less. I am 54 and I can’t believe I’m putting my picture on the WWW with no makeup. EEEK. I look like a corpse.

The first two days of drinking, I had diarrhea (sorry, TMI). It was like a detox and my body was in SHOCK.

The biggest difference is my coloring. Random people in my life [who don’t know I took the challenge] have commented how “rested” I look. I look “happy” and “you look great! Have you been on vacation?” My Mom asked me if I got new makeup? ha. Anyway, I sure feel better. The eczema around my eyes is completely cleared up. (Eczema is a hereditary issue all of my siblings and their kids have).

My skin on my entire body feels hydrated for the first time ever. I am more easily able to handle the snacking tendencies I’ve always had. I have no more wrinkles on my neck and chest now. I’ve had bladder issues for the past few years that are completely gone. I used to have to get up once or twice in the night and now it seems like my bladder is bigger or something, I don’t have to get up anymore? I don’t get it! Drink more water; have better bladder control *shrug*. The loose skin from my weight loss (50 lbs) has clearly tightened up. I’ve never had cellulite but my thighs are definitely smoother and less crepe-y. Or crap-y however you want to look at it.

Constipation is a non-issue now, as is bloating and gas. I definitely have better gut function!

And maybe it’s the lubrication in my joints, but it NEVER hurts to get out of bed now. I’ve had to increase my kettlebell weights (now 40!) for a better challenge this past month. I will continue to ud6qfbejxcog.jpg

Replies

• Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful! I've had the same comments about how much better my coloring looks and how my skin looks better.

My eczema is reaping the benefits and I don't need to use as much moisturizing cream. I didn't realize (until you commented about it) that I don't get up in the middle of the night to pee anymore. But I certainly go a lot during the day!!!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I used to scratch my legs in winter until they almost bled they were so dry. I don't have that problem when I'm drinking my quota of water.

I also used to get a sinus infection EVERY February and October from allergies. I don't get these infections when I'm drinking water every day. I still feel the drainage going on, but it keeps flowing and it doesn't get all blocked up in there like concrete. Thus, no sinus infections!
  • Kelleygirl79
    Kelleygirl79 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks Canuck! and Slim, gasp! you are right. Now that you mention it, I realize I haven't had to take my daily Zyrtec for the past 3 weeks...and the spring allergies/pollen are in full swing. Wow. a DEFINITE pro!
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, you look wonderful, really motivating to get back on the water.
    I'm going to start right now!
  • Kelleygirl79
    Options
    efrens: I don't know how! It was so weird... I had a terrible time holding my bladder for, like, EVER. I am certain I've been in constant dehydration for YEARS. I always seemed to have a sense of urgency even though I barely drank 24 oz. a day. But after the first week or so of 3-liters? I was able to hold it for longer (usually starting in the afternoon) for a couple hours or more.

It feels like my bladder got healthier. *shrug* I don't know if that's possible but it sure feels like it!
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    You look great, but the lighting is definitely different- your hair is a different colour!
  • Vanessalookingood
    Vanessalookingood Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Wow your fine lines have filled out. NICE!
  • Kelleygirl79
    Options
    clara - I get why you say that! I had just had my hair colored in the first pic. After a couple of weeks, my hair color starts washing out and turning brassy. At the end of 6 weeks it's almost completely brassy-blond. ugh. It's a problem for my hair-dresser niece, for sure!
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Oh wow - in that case, nice work!
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I drink about 1.5-2.0L a water but think I can so do 3L a day...I mean look at you! You look fab!
  • Kelleygirl79
    Options
    well gosh, soufauxgirl...thank you!!! I fill a 3Liter pitcher of water every morning and it's gone by dinner. 8 out of 10 days, I'm THIRSTY in the evening (wha???) and end up drinking a coupla more glasses. No one is more surprised than I!!
  • braunfam922
    braunfam922 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A book called the bodies many cries for water explains what is happening in the cells - and that many people are walking around dehydrated which does cause the body to hold onto fluid according to the author look it up on YouTube
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    This is interesting and you do look so rested and relaxed! Did your weight change?
  • poppysierra
    poppysierra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Try purple shampoo and conditioner on your hair - it will stop it from becoming brassy.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I’ve had bladder issues for the past few years that are completely gone. I used to have to get up once or twice in the night and now it seems like my bladder is bigger or something, I don’t have to get up anymore? I don’t get it! Drink more water; have better bladder control *shrug*.
    This thread is a bit old now, but I'd just like to say, for the benefit of any lurkers, that the OP's experience is quite normal and it was not a co-incidence.

It is totally counter-intuitive, but overly frequent urination in adults and bedwetting in children is often easily treated by drinking more water, not less.

When someone is dehydrated, their urine will become more concentrated, i.e. less water, more waste product, and so irritates the bladder walls, creating an urge to "go". if this keeps happening, the bladder will become more accustomed to holding smaller volumes of urine and its capacity reduces, which again, increases the frequency of urination.

These aren't the only cause of bladder issues, but they are common. If increasing how much you drink isn't solving the problem, consult a doctor, and tell him or her that you've already tried increasing your fluid intake, and by how much per day and for how long you tried it.

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Took a water challenge at work in February. I normally drink around 100oz of water per day but during that week had doubled my intake. Now I remain in the middle, about 150oz per day. It's a great tool for keeping the hunger pangs to a minimum, plus my normally oily skin has not been so oily lately!
  • hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I already drink 68 oz at a minimum (when I behave myself) but I am going to try this for a month now to see what happens. Thank you for the information. Who knew?
  • Suzeq66
    Suzeq66 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Shimmer Lights sold at a beauty supply store will help your hair.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!