What to do with 99% Lean Ground Turkey

Options
lithezebra
lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
Is there any way to cook lean ground turkey so it's juicy and tastes good?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Turkey Chili and Turkey&Quinoa Meatloaf are the two recipes that I use for ground turkey. You can find recipes on allrecipes.com

In fact, I have turkey chili in the crockpot at this moment for tomorrow. Yum!
  • NatiaGonitellie
    NatiaGonitellie Posts: 355 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    jennieo.com/cooking-with-turkey/18-How-to-Make-a-Juicy-Turkey-Burger

It looks like the number 1 sin is over working the ground meat.
    The link I provided will bring you to a recipe that will replace the animal fat with heart healthy fat.

The recipe looks delicious, Ill be trying it soon myself.
  • Tamijennelle
    Tamijennelle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I make different variations of meatballs. For example, last night i made my own Thai meatballs. I grated onion, fresh ginger and garlic cloves into ground chicken breast, with curry powder, grated lime rind, salt and pepper. I just dropped spoonfuls into a pan with some water and a splash of oil and covered, letting them steam on med low for about 15 mins.
    Then i transferred them to a pan and simmer them in coconut milk and basil.

I use it alot of my egyptian dishes as well. I mix the meat with a mix of uncooked rice, dill, cumin, grated onion and garlic and tomato paste and wrap in grape leaves. I place a plate upside down in a large pot, line the wraps up and then fill half the pot with water. Press another plate on top, cover and steam for 45 mins.

• scrap
    scrap Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of turkey meatballs. Pulverize oats, baby bell mushrooms, parm, egg white, and spices you like. Shape and bake in the oven.
  • michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Turkey Taco Tuesday! However with something that lean, you'll probably need to add a little bit of fat to help with the browning and to prevent sticking to the skillet.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Chinese green beans with ground turkey over rice. So easy to make and ready in less than 30 minutes.

http://wearychef.com/asian-greenbean-turkey-ricebowl/
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I just made stuffed peppers using ground turkey instead of Italian sausage. They were delicious!

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2010/09/recipe-for-stuffed-green-peppers-with.html

I used the leftover ground turkey to make breakfast muffins:

10 eggs, 8 oz. ground turkey sausage, 2/3 cup skim milk, and 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese, and some spices--mix together and separate into a muffin tin. Bake at 350 for 15-16 minutes.
  • eleesJourney
    eleesJourney Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Is it bad to mix the ground turkey with taco seasoning? I love to do that! My favorite is mixing with squash onion bellpeppers mushrooms and jalapeños. And I love spaghetti so I'll usually make a zucchini noodle in replacement for the noodles with all the above ingredients and add a little bit of spaghetti sauce
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    This is good but I accidentally bought hot green chiles and it was a little too spicy.
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2015/10/paleo-turkey-sweet-potato-chili-.html
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't really like 99% turkey so I get 93%, but I make tacos, pasta meat sauce, stuffed peppers, lasagna, meatballs, burgers...
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    google ground chicken pizza. You can use the turkey for that. I bought some ground chicken and am going to add shredded Swiss cheese and diced ham to make a chicken cordon bleu pizza
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the links!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't really like 99% turkey so I get 93%, but I make tacos, pasta meat sauce, stuffed peppers, lasagna, meatballs, burgers...

I can never find turkey any leaner that 93/7, so I usually opt for beef as well. I just prefer the taste and texture of beef. I do burgers and tacos a lot. Little pizzas. Sometimes I just cook up a pound and keep it in the fridge for whatever I'm feeling throughout the week. Broccoli slaw, beef, and chipotle ranch is an easy one. Recently I started making "burrito bowls" - beef, beans, rice, veggies.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I eat a turkey taco for dinner nearly every night. But for meat that lean, I'd mix it with regular ground turkey (or beef), make a whole mess of taco meat, and freeze it in individual containers.

99% is too lean for a good taco, but mixed 50/50 with regular, it should be pretty good.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I can never find turkey any leaner that 93/7, so I usually opt for beef as well. I just prefer the taste and texture of beef. I do burgers and tacos a lot. Little pizzas. Sometimes I just cook up a pound and keep it in the fridge for whatever I'm feeling throughout the week. Broccoli slaw, beef, and chipotle ranch is an easy one. Recently I started making "burrito bowls" - beef, beans, rice, veggies.

I get 93% turkey because it's cheaper than 90% beef, basically, lol. I still get beef sometimes though, but then it's typically 85%.
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use it to make stuft green bell peppers along with salsa instead of tomatoes to improve taste. I also use it to make meatloaf with bbq sauce and it is delicious!
  • ShawndaSallee
    ShawndaSallee Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Turkey chili! Or Taco stuffed peppers!
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I made green chili turkey burgers tonight. If youd like to add me i keep my diary opem and starting yesterday i began posting recipes after i make them to make sure theyre approved by me and my husband and 2 kids.