Am I sedentary or lightly active?

Options
So I do around 6k steps a day. Am I sedentary or lightly active? Trying to figure out so my Fitbit syncs correctly.

I do chores around the house and have a cat. After that I do the rest of my walking.

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I would under state it...call yourself sedentary. That may offset the fact that we all tend to overestimate the calories we burn!
  • MermaidAmanda10
    MermaidAmanda10 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sedentary
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Sedentary.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Sedentary. I average around 15,000-20,000 steps a day and have mfp set to sedentary.
  • hulesjames
    hulesjames Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Depends on how your getting those steps I could get 6k by walking in place for like 1 hour
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Sedentary
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    From the Goals area here ...

How would you describe your normal daily activities?

Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

Options
    For me, the fitbit cutoff between sedentary and lightly active is between 7000 and 8500 steps on non running days (more vigorous stepping can produce higher activity in fewer steps). So yes, I would venture a guess that your level of activity is sedentary. With that said, if your calorie goal is set to no less than 1400 calories and if you have negative calorie adjustment enabled, it won't matter if your account is set to sedentary or lightly active because Fitbit would just adjust your intake into the negative (down until it hits the 1200 net wall). I like to keep the level at sedentary though, regardless of my activity level.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Sedentary. I average around 15,000-20,000 steps a day and have mfp set to sedentary.

you have it set to sedentary but you are not sedentary , so as not to confuse OP, your calories are added as you advance in steps .

but the bottom line with fitbit - if you have negative adjustments available, it doesn't matter what you set it as, it will calculate calories accordingly and then if you "surpass" that particular setting it will start giving you extra cals, if you don't surpass that setting it will deduct them. (it will never deduct to less than 1200)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    if you are using a fitness tracker sync'd here sedentary and enable negative adjustments.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    The problem some people have with the activity levels is that they blur the line between what they do all day, and what they do for exercise, which can lead to eating one's exercise calories back twice. To keep your accounting accurate:

- you can set your activity to sedentary, log all your activity, and eat back your activity and exercise calories (or not)
    - you can set an activity level for what you do all day, and eat back only your exercise calories
    - you can set an activity level that includes everything you do, and not eat back any calories

I prefer the 3rd option. I keep my calorie goal the same every day, and do not eat back any calories.
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this too. I do about 10k steps now a day but I walk to work, work a desk job, but get up to move, and walk at lunch. What should I be set at? Right now I have sedentary because I sit at a desk all day. I don't log any extra exercise for these steps.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    IMO, it comes down to what you do for a living. I remember making this selection a while back and thinking, like you are, "hmm, well I work out pretty hard, I walk a lot, I do chores, etc etc." Then I looked out the window from my DESK at the guy unloading big water cooler bottles and bam... I clicked "sedentary," no questions asked, haha.
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    I would under state it...call yourself sedentary. That may offset the fact that we all tend to overestimate the calories we burn!

I do the same.
  • kyuui13
    kyuui13 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies , it has helped