TOO much energy?

Options
Lo__
Lo__ Posts: 42 Member
Crazy question: does anyone find themselves feeling TOO energetic when they're eating really clean? I find on days when I'm eating my best I often feel way too keyed up, flushed feeling and sweaty, talking way too fast, flitting from task to task, and I find it particularly difficult to relax in the late afternoon/evening. Sometimes it's hard to fall asleep, too.

I've tried Googling it a few times but the terms "energy" and "diet" bring up a lot of people complaining about the exact opposite. I'm cool with a little extra energy but honestly this is uncomfortable. Especially when I'm at work talking my head off at like 9000 mph like an idiot! And I should note that it seems to get worse the more I do so being more active hasn't helped.

Am i just adjusting? Is it that I'm eating too few carbs? So confusing/annoying because the way I've been eating has actually, finally, given me some results.

Replies

• Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Do you drink caffeine?
  • laurelh8
    laurelh8 Posts: 38 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Your description reminds me of how my boyfriend behaves when taking Adderall. Have you started any medication?

Edit: Or when he is in a manic state (he's also bipolar).
  • Lo__
    Options
    Do you drink caffeine?

Just one cup of coffee first thing in the morning but that's not new.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Fit some Cheetohs into your day.
  • Lo__
    Options
    laurelh8 wrote: »
    Your description reminds me of how my boyfriend behaves when taking Adderall. Have you started any medication?

No, I haven't. And I should add that this happened to me in the past when I've tried to eat clean. It's like my body goes haywire.
  • Lo__
    Options
    Fit some Cheetohs into your day.

?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I have been feeling similar to this, but after routine bloodwork we found that the thyroid medication I am taking was WAY too much for me, and according to my numbers I am currently "hyperthyroid". (Aka it's working too fast.)
    Aside from that, I do notice a bit more energy when I am eating well and exercising, but nothing crazy. Just a "good" feeling.
    You could consider bloodwork to see where your thyroid is. Sounds like there's a chance you could be hyper.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How many calories a day are you averaging? I find that I can have some of those symptoms when I am not eating enough.

Also, do you add anything to your diet when you're eating "really clean" that you aren't eating otherwise?
  • evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    How long has this been happening? What you are describing doesn't sound like more energy it sounds like you are in a manic state, do you have anxiety issues? If you just started then it may just be the initial boost and excitement from getting proper nutrition and losing weight. I am bipolar, and when in a manic phase nothing calms me down, I know it's not fun at all. If you have no diagnosed disorders, and are brand new to this, give it a couple weeks. If you have been like this more than a few weeks I would suggest talking to a doctor. More energy is good, feeling like someone hooked you up to a 1000 volt wire where your whole body is humming is not.
  • Lo__
    Options
    I have been feeling similar to this, but after routine bloodwork we found that the thyroid medication I am taking was WAY too much for me, and according to my numbers I am currently "hyperthyroid". (Aka it's working too fast.)
    Aside from that, I do notice a bit more energy when I am eating well and exercising, but nothing crazy. Just a "good" feeling.
    You could consider bloodwork to see where your thyroid is. Sounds like there's a chance you could be hyper.

Thanks for this info! I'll definitely ask my gp to test for it.
  • laurelh8
    laurelh8 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    How long has this been happening? What you are describing doesn't sound like more energy it sounds like you are in a manic state, do you have anxiety issues? If you just started then it may just be the initial boost and excitement from getting proper nutrition and losing weight. I am bipolar, and when in a manic phase nothing calms me down, I know it's not fun at all. If you have no diagnosed disorders, and are brand new to this, give it a couple weeks. If you have been like this more than a few weeks I would suggest talking to a doctor. More energy is good, feeling like someone hooked you up to a 1000 volt wire where your whole body is humming is not.

This totally sounds like it could be a manic episode.
  • Lo__
    Options
    How many calories a day are you averaging? I find that I can have some of those symptoms when I am not eating enough.

Also, do you add anything to your diet when you're eating "really clean" that you aren't eating otherwise?

I'm averaging about 1200 - 1400 calories a day and my sedentary BMR is about 1800. It's definitely less than I'm used to eating so my hope's been that my body's just adjusting. I'm eating a lot more vegetables than usual, but nothing I don't usually eat. I tend to eat a lot of the same things all the time because I'm lazy like that :)
  • SoftballRiRi
    SoftballRiRi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I get this feeling when I don't get enough calories. If the app sets up a limit that's drastically different from before, you may be cutting your intake too much too quickly.
  • Lo__
    Options

Ha, that last sentence is exactly how I feel!! I did have some anxiety issues on a medication I took a few years ago but that's all, and I have a family member who's diagnosed as bipolar. Is eating less or eating less carbs something that can trigger issues with bipolar disorder? Thanks for this.
  • evildeadedd
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I hadn't personally noticed anything with my eating effecting my states to a huge degree, but I am making slow changes. Any huge abrupt change can trigger an episode in me. Not suggesting that you have anything wrong with you at all, anecdotal evidence of myself and my experience is all I can give. If I were you I would try to give it time, like I said has this been going in for more than a week or two? Do you consume caffeine at all? How are you sleeping? I find a nice cup of sleepy time tea in the evening helps, placebo effect or not I rest better. Also as silly as it sounds adult coloring books help. Allows me to focus on something without having to over think and be over stimulated.
  • Lo__
    Options
    I hadn't personally noticed anything with my eating effecting my states to a huge degree, but I am making slow changes. Any huge abrupt change can trigger an episode in me. Not suggesting that you have anything wrong with you at all, anecdotal evidence of myself and my experience is all I can give. If I were you I would try to give it time, like I said has this been going in for more than a week or two? Do you consume caffeine at all? How are you sleeping? I find a nice cup of sleepy time tea in the evening helps, placebo effect or not I rest better. Also as silly as it sounds adult coloring books help. Allows me to focus on something without having to over think and be over stimulated.

No, don't worry! I'm grateful for both the advice and the insight. This has been pretty disruptive to my day-to-day life :/ My usual go-to before bed is reading but I find it's hard to focus when I'm experiencing this. I'd say it's been going on for about the past week or so? The thing is it's not like I feel this way when I wake up in the morning. I'm usually pretty fine until mid afternoon.
  • evildeadedd
    Options
    A week isn't too worrisome. Examine what changes you have made. Did you go from eating 1500 calories of Twinkies to 1500 of nutrient dense fruits and veggies? Obviously I am being facetious, but the bigger the changes you make and the more abrupt they are is going to shock you r system. Did you start taking any new vitamins/supplements? Some of them sneak caffeine in there for an extra boost. Did you change your caffeine intake in another way? Try to ride it out, hopefully it just a temporary thing stemming from dietary changes. Try to analyze what is happening and what you are doing around the time you start to feel this way. Maybe there is a trigger you are not seeing. Try to ride it out and if in a couple weeks this is still disrupting your life, talk to your doctor. Best of luck, and remember to breathe.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    To elaborate on the thyroid issue- This is what I have experienced while in the "hyperthyroid" state (typically I am hypo - slow- even on medication, so this was the first time I have ever felt this way. We have started bringing my meds down and I have definitely noticed less effects, but there are cases where people are hyper to begin with.) I think the lifestyle change and weightloss is what caused the change in me.
    I am usually very tired in the morning, I don't start to "wake up" until afternoon. Randomly throughout the day my heart will race, I will feel clammy, and I also cannot concentrate.
    I typically workout at 5 pm, and I usually take a preworkout for a bit more energy. Since being hyper I have had to stop taking the preworkout, it made my heart pound, my face get red, if I didn't move I wanted to rip my face off. I would be in the gym until I wanted to drop, and then when I went home after I still took forever to settle down. And I also found I talked a lot haha.
    Without the preworkout, I still noticed that caffeine makes me "speed up" too much. Very similar to what I would experience without supplementing with caffeine or preworkout, but much worse. Those just seemed to really put me over the edge. (I still felt this way even days I had no caffeine or supplements.)
    So I would definitely look into it! I let it go for quite a while because I didn't know why I was feeling that way. After bloodwork it was obvious what was going on.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Lo__ wrote: »
    Crazy question: does anyone find themselves feeling TOO energetic when they're eating really clean? I find on days when I'm eating my best I often feel way too keyed up, flushed feeling and sweaty, talking way too fast, flitting from task to task, and I find it particularly difficult to relax in the late afternoon/evening. Sometimes it's hard to fall asleep, too.

I've tried Googling it a few times but the terms "energy" and "diet" bring up a lot of people complaining about the exact opposite. I'm cool with a little extra energy but honestly this is uncomfortable. Especially when I'm at work talking my head off at like 9000 mph like an idiot! And I should note that it seems to get worse the more I do so being more active hasn't helped.

Am i just adjusting? Is it that I'm eating too few carbs? So confusing/annoying because the way I've been eating has actually, finally, given me some results.

I kinda felt like this, only less extreme, a year ago when I ramped up exercise and cut calories (not drastically.) It faded after a month or two.