Healthy margin when cutting with workout

Options
Hi,

I started logging my meals only a while ago. What I noticed that I end up 300-400 under the recommended amount after subtracting exercises burn.

Should I to up to the recommended amount or 300-400 deficit is not too much of an issue.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Ideally you want to eat the amount MFP gives you net (after exercise). But since calorie burns are often overestimated, many people only eat back 50-75% of those calories.
  • evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The answer to your question is largely dependant on your coals vs. the results you are getting. You say cutting so I assume you want to maximize fat loss while minimizing muscle loss. So a VERY moderate deficit and slow loss is the way to go. Track your weight from week to week, if you are losing more than half a pound to a pound a week then add one or two hundred calories a day. Make sure to keep lifting. And that you are getting enough protein to support your muscles.
  • evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Also if you are 300 or 400 UNDER what mfp gave you that is not a three or four hundred deficit. Unless you set your MFP goal to maintain the deficit is built in. MFP has my goal at 1900, that's with a thousand calorie deficit built in,because I set it to lose 2 pounds a week. if I ate 1600 I would be at a 1300 deficit on the day not a 300. I am already going to lose a lot of muscle at 1900 but because I am so obese that is really unavoidable.