Drinking alcohol & MFP

Options

Replies

• RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I read an article that said that a certain amount of alcohol increases grhelin levels which can causes appetite to spike. The author suggested limiting drinks to no more than two for a woman or three for a man.

I have only read that article and didn't do any research to guage its credibility; so I don't have a strong opinion as to its accuracy. The guideline seems to work for me; but I can't be sure whether that's just a placebo effect.
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I mean I see it as, I am not going to cut alcohol out of my life forever so I might as well fit it into my daily calorie goal now and get a hold of it. I know what you mean about not being able to control your eating but maybe only have a couple drinks. The only way I start to "not care" is when I'm pretty tipsy.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate, but it seems you already know what's going to happen if you start drinking alcohol again. You've been down that road already.
  • JemPuddleduck
    JemPuddleduck Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't go out for a drink that often, but when I do I generally drink too many calories rather than eat them.

I think if drinking makes you want to eat than avoid getting into that state.

However one beer on a sunny afternoon shouldn't harm and can be a great way to relax.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I drink almost daily. It's got to fit in my calories so I have to limit it but 2 ounces of flavored vodka has 138 calories. I can fit that in. If I drink as much as I want to then I have no calories left lol so I have to moderate what I drink and how much.

I would rather drink a little every day than save up those calories and get hammered on the weekend when I'm going to eat a plate of nachos & everything else. :)
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am going to make sure I have room for booze this summer! It's grillin season..cold beers..vodka lemonades..I am just going to have to budget some calories and exercise a bit more..earn myself some extra calories.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead. Eat before going out to avoid overeating/over drinking. I know MFP suggests to avoid alcohol when losing weight but I have drinks on occasion and still find success on the scale. Also be aware of the type of drink you're ordering. A drink no matter how small can be 400 cals easy so just be conscious of what you order.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    drinking is useless empty calories do you wanna be a social butterfly or a lean mean machine its up to you
  • vegasleo79
    vegasleo79 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues. It's hard for me to just have one on a random day. I say while you're losing weight don't drink, but I know that's tough and I also know that's not really learning how to properly navigate this new lifestyle.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    It's probably more of a personal assessment than anything.

I drink a few times a week, but I cut down my beer to one, or I just have a single mixed drink, and I'll make it something with diet soda to avoid the extra calories with regular sodas or juices. BUT I also don't tend to feel like I have to drink, so I don't tend to miss it when I cut back on it, and one drink doesn't put me over the edge into a bunch, and I RARELY eat more while drinking. I've never been a social drinker/eater much, but that's me.

If you want to lose the weight but know you'll have issues keeping to one drink or two, don't do it. Everyone is different with alcohol, and you may be one of those that just needs to avoid it with your goals.
  • CajunCher2005
    CajunCher2005 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Most people who drink do not lose weight, but gain it. Not only does alcohol have a LOT of calories, but it makes one want to eat high calorie foods and definitely discourages one to move less as in falling asleep watching television instead of sprinting around the neighborhood for half an hour.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,987 Member
    Options
    Most people who drink do not lose weight, but gain it. Not only does alcohol have a LOT of calories, but it makes one want to eat high calorie foods and definitely discourages one to move less as in falling asleep watching television instead of sprinting around the neighborhood for half an hour.

This is not true. Some people who drink do not lose but gain, but you can't say that most people who drink don't lose but gain. Lots of people lose weight while still drinking moderate amounts of alcohol. They just fit it in their calorie goal. I drink occasionally and I don't have any problems losing weight. I can have one or two drinks and be fine though and I don't have any problems with overeating while drinking. And if you are drinking and say going out dancing then you will be burning some of those calories. I may not be sprinting around the neighborhood, but I don't fall asleep on the couch watching television after drinking either. If the OP has trouble controlling her eating while drinking or limiting herself to one or two drinks then she may be better off not drinking at all. But if she can fit one or two drinks into her calorie goal and be satisfied and stop there and not go over on what she eats then she can drink occasionally and still lose weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Weird. I got 41,000 steps last week on a long date with my husband where we walked around and had dinner, including drinks. When you say "most people," is that something you just randomly made up? Because where I live, people regularly do beer runs (run a 5K, have some beer) or find other ways to include alcohol in a lifestyle that also includes meeting fitness/weight goals.

People who consume more calories than they burn will gain weight. People who don't move have a harder time burning calories.

But one can certainly drink and maintain a calorie deficit. And one can drink and still move around. We own our choices, alcohol doesn't turn us into a different person.
  • Snipsa
    Snipsa Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I usually log a whisky or brandy in the morning as an "in case" during the week so that I know it'll fit into my day. I remove it at night if I didn't consume it. Weekends I log 3 drinks per day, and again remove as needed.

It's pretty rare that I would go over those limits, but when I do, I log it and go on with my life...
  • MiikeCholas
    MiikeCholas Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    While what happens when you drink alcohol your body identifies it as a toxin so it basically pushes a pause button on all burning of fat and carbs that are burned for energy to burn off the alcohol you are in taking. Plus the added of all the extra empty calories and the binge eating when drinking. Its okay to drink maybe once a week but over doing it is over doing it :( Good luck!
  • jmarschik
    jmarschik Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I LOVE red wine. It's one of my most favorite things in the world. Its been my experience that, if I tell myself "I can't have that," I feel like I'm depriving myself (even if I'm not). So, I've decided not to deprive myself of anything. Instead of giving it up completely (which, in my opinion, is unsustainable long-term), I have red wine once a week (Saturdays) and now I look forward to it. I always try to create a healthy snack to pair with it like a fruit & cheese plate so that I'm not tempted to over eat. Drinking can be a slippery slope if you're not careful, but keep yourself honest while tracking and stick to your plan.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i still partake on some weekends and vacay. No biggie.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    By running I can drink and lose weight so it works for me. I have scotch before dinner, wine during dinner and beer after diner daily. Its a stress reliever for me.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have a drink at least 3-4 times a week. Nothing light either. I like a nice craft beer.

I try not to drink before eating though. Once I'm feeling it, I lose control if I'm hungry and eat whatever. I find it's best to have a drink with my dinner or after when I'm mostly full anyway. A decent DIPA always makes me feel very full so I likely wouldn't be able to have more anyway.

I do struggle with wine, though. I'm the only wine drinker in the house and if I open a bottle it's like a feel compelled to finish it. Due to this, I only drink one in single serving situations or when I have other wine drinkers over.