LCHF diets

Options
I'm trying the LCHF (loc carb high fat) diet after reading up on it and have discovered that this can reverse type 2 diabetes I decided to give it a try, it's opposite to what we have been told by the health professionals who advocate low fat diets. But it seems to be working for me. Anyone else trying this approach ?

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I follow a LCHF diet and I love the way I feel.

Check out this group, lots of great information: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Consult a doctor first if you have had any heart conditions or are a senior.
    A high fat diet could be extremely high in saturated fat.
    Something your doctor may not want you to do.
    It may also cut down on fiber which is extremely important the older you get.
    Many doctors suggest the Mayo Clinic Heart Healthy Diet (consider looking that one up).
    I also like the Mediterranean diet and the DASH diet.
    Take care of that ticker.

* Any diet works as long as you stick to caloric goals.
    I am on a high "good carbs" diet.
    Lots of beans, lentils, oatmeal, beans, quinoa, barley, ancient grains, even brown rice.
    Full of fruits and veggies. Losing weight. Easy to stick to for life.
    Visit your library for books since on the internet you just get bits and pieces.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I am 55 and started low carb 13 weeks ago. I have lost 46 pounds. "They" will tell you all kinds of stuff. Try it for a while.
  • ErryDayImHustlin
    ErryDayImHustlin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Consult a doctor first if you have had any heart conditions or are a senior.
    A high fat diet could be extremely high in saturated fat.
    Something your doctor may not want you to do.
    It may also cut down on fiber which is extremely important the older you get.
    Many doctors suggest the Mayo Clinic Heart Healthy Diet (consider looking that one up).
    I also like the Mediterranean diet and the DASH diet.
    Take care of that ticker.

* Any diet works as long as you stick to caloric goals.
    I am on a high "good carbs" diet.
    Lots of beans, lentils, oatmeal, beans, quinoa, barley, ancient grains, even brown rice.
    Full of fruits and veggies. Losing weight. Easy to stick to for life.
    Visit your library for books since on the internet you just get bits and pieces.

The number of doctors who still see saturated fats as harmful is rapidly shrinking. Waves of new research have shown it to actually improve blood lipid panels in much higher quantities than were previously recommended (beyond that, like all thing however, may be harmful).

Being that you are seeking to do this specifically to treat your type 2 I would discuss it with a doctor. LCHF diets are not in any way necessary to lose weight (though some prefer them), but the research on them for conditions such as yours are very interesting.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The science demonising sat fat is flawed. In an LCHF diet your fat intake is being oxidised for fuel not stored or building up in circulation.

I knocked 40 - 50 mg/dl off my fasting blood glucose with LCHF
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yes I am doing it also... I had a couple of rough weeks but feel fine now. I do enjoy the food and love how it makes me feel so much fuller than usual eating plans.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    are you doing low carb high fat or keto(which is really low carbs and high fat)? not that it matters Im doing low carb(less than 100g) and medium amounts of fat. I have to watch carbs and fat due to high cholesterol.Im on day 5 and have not went over my calories,havent had any bad cravings either. felt bad the first 3 days but its getting better.havent lost anything since feb,but if I start losing again that will be an added bonus. but Im just trying to eat in a deficit and get my cholesterol under control again
  • kirbyderb71
    kirbyderb71 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ginger7658 wrote: »
    I'm trying the LCHF (loc carb high fat) diet after reading up on it and have discovered that this can reverse type 2 diabetes I decided to give it a try, it's opposite to what we have been told by the health professionals who advocate low fat diets. But it seems to be working for me. Anyone else trying this approach ?

I'm trying keto and like it so far. I'm very resistant to weight loss and this seems to actually be working so far.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    At least talk to your doctor about it. I brought a study to her to get her approval for a trial run to see if it would help my cholesterol, especially triglycerides. The next month when I saw her again, I had lost 7lbs and my blood work was normal, no more high numbers.