Fitbit question

Options
perkymommy
perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I know very little about the Fitbit. Can someone clue me in? How does it work? Do I wear it on me or keep it in my pocket? Does it sync up to anything? Tell me what would work best for me. I've heard there are different kinds? I work at a desk Monday-Friday, try to walk on the treadmill 3x per week for about an hour and then work on weekends on 8 hour shifts standing, lifting, moving around a lot during those 16 hours on weekends.

Replies

• kosmosEP
    kosmosEP Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit charge HR, it's pretty much just a watch. It tracks your heart rate, steps, stairs climbed, distance, and calories burned. I really love it, I've owned fitbit devices for 3 years now, I love their website and their app and the fact that you can do step challenges with friends.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Where you wear it depends on which one you get. The Zip and the One are clip-on, so they can go on your pocket/belt/bra. All others are worn on the wrist. Look through the features available to see which ones interest you the most (sleep tracking, stairs, heart rate, GPS, etc.).
  • laurenwilson60629
    laurenwilson60629 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the flex simply because it was 100 bucks and i wear ot on my wrist. I researched all of them on fitbit.com before I made my decision and what I wanted to spend. It tracks all your activity and lets you set goals. You just download the app once you buy the fitbit and you can use it on any device. It connects with MFP so thats how it logs your food.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It depends on which one - some worn on wrist (Flex/Charge etc), some worn in pocket/bra strap (Fitbit One/Zip). Its a great gadget if you need motivated to move more. :smile:
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have the flex simply because it was 100 bucks and i wear ot on my wrist. I researched all of them on fitbit.com before I made my decision and what I wanted to spend. It tracks all your activity and lets you set goals. You just download the app once you buy the fitbit and you can use it on any device. It connects with MFP so thats how it logs your food.

This is what you need to do OP. Think about what you want from a tracker and go from there. I chose the One because I wasn't fussed about an HR monitor, and thanks to allergies, I have problems wearing things on my wrist. Also, I got a sweet deal on Amazon by buying the purple-coloured One - it was $79 compared with $100 for the black one.

And boy was I horrified at how little I moved during the day.
  • Haleycz496
    Haleycz496 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have the new Fitbit Alta. It tracks steps, minutes of exercise, type of exercise. It also reminds you to get up every hour and move 250 steps. It's great for a desk job because it reminds you to move when you've been sitting for too long. It also tracks hours and quality of sleep at night.
  • perkymommy
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I will go check them out. I need a watch on my weekend job so hopefully the ones you wear on your wrist include a clock? Either way, I will check them at.
  • perkymommy
    Options
    Haleycz496 wrote: »
    I have the new Fitbit Alta. It tracks steps, minutes of exercise, type of exercise. It also reminds you to get up every hour and move 250 steps. It's great for a desk job because it reminds you to move when you've been sitting for too long. It also tracks hours and quality of sleep at night.

this one sounds great! I'd love to know that about my sleep especially.
  • samamaof2
    samamaof2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just got the Alta yesterday at Sam's. It's 129, but you get a bonus extra band. Still trying to figure it out & get it connected to mfp properly. I had a misfit before so got used to that. (20$ flash, kept falling apart).
  • kepoor
    kepoor Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have a Garmin vivo-fit. I got the "older" first edition for $50 on Amazon a few months ago. It has everything you need. I had the basic fitbit before, but I've found that I like the Garmin version more. Here is what I like-
    1) It has a clock - I know most of the other fitbits have that, but then it also goes up in price
    2) I like how I can click on the actual device to see my numbers- my steps, my goal, my calories burned, miles walked
    3) I like how it tracks my sleep. When I had the fitbit, I had to hit it a few times to activate the "sleep mode" - half the time I forgot to do it, other times it was being too finicky and wouldn't activate.
    4) It has an app and you can sync it with MFP just like you can with a fitbit.
    5) You don't have to charge it weekly like the basic fitbit model. The battery will last a year before I have to replace it