Feel like I'm losing weight but the scale won't change

Options
Hi I'm Brisa, I recently started exercising again to get back in shape. I've been jogging about 2-4 miles at least 4 days a week and of course watching what I eat. I feel slimmer but the scale is still saying I weigh the same. (194 pounds) I've been working out for about a month now and when I started I weighed 198 pounds. Should I just keep doing what I'm doing or does anybody suggest anything else? My goal is to flatten my stomach alot more and be 140 pounds again.

Replies

• cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    198 to 194 in a month is a 1lb/week loss aka a normal rate of weight loss. Keep doing what you're doing.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    cavia wrote: »
    198 to 194 in a month is a 1lb/week loss aka a normal rate of weight loss. Keep doing what you're doing.

Yep this.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    you might be building muscle....weighs more than fat
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »

You don't build muscle in a month.

And a pound weighs a pound, whether it's feathers or lead.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Don't focus so much on the scale every day. Your body is changing! Just stay the course. :)
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You're doing it right. Keep on keeping on.
  • evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    Options

You are unlikely to build muscle while in a calorie deficit. To the OP a pound a week is a decent rate, if you keep that up you will lose about 36 pounds by the end of the year. We have been conditioned through diet adds and TV weight-loss shows to think we should be losing 10 pounds a week or more. Look up most of the past contestants of shows like the biggest loser. 90% of them just gained most of their weight back or more after the show. Patience is a virtue that most of us just don't have, we want our sexy pants and we want them right now. Try to live for now, for today, don't think that your life will only start once you are XXX pounds.
  • rebeccaahopkins93
    rebeccaahopkins93 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I felt the same frustration and I decided to only weigh myself once a month. I have found that I can focus more on how different my body looks and feels rather than the number on the scale. I haven't weighed since April 12th but I'm starting to not care as much about the scale
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I need to take my own advice now... the scale jumped up a pound and it is taking its time going back down! Stay the course...

moviecreedlive_1.jpg
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Brisa, I recently started exercising again to get back in shape. I've been jogging about 2-4 miles at least 4 days a week and of course watching what I eat. I feel slimmer but the scale is still saying I weigh the same. (194 pounds) I've been working out for about a month now and when I started I weighed 198 pounds. Should I just keep doing what I'm doing or does anybody suggest anything else? My goal is to flatten my stomach alot more and be 140 pounds again.

Do you measure yourself? That's good to do if you don't see the scale move a lot.

And if you were 198 and are now 194 then you have lost 4 lbs in a month! That's great. Between .5-2 lbs is recommended as far as a slow and steady loss. You are doing good.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    cavia wrote: »

Yep this.

^^ this :smile:
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Actually, newbie gains are a thing. I know first hand because over the last 2 months I have definitely simultaneously gained muscle and lost fat WHILE eating at a deficit. So... there. :)
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options

I really wish people would STOP with the 'building muscle' replies! it takes a long, long, long time to build muscle and NOT when eating at deficit.... sighhhh

This person is trolling you...
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Actually, newbie gains are a thing. I know first hand because over the last 2 months I have definitely simultaneously gained muscle and lost fat WHILE eating at a deficit. So... there. :)

How do you know for certain that you actually did that, though? Also, newbie gains are NOT going to happen when someone is doing an activity like jogging 2 to 4 miles a few times per week.
  • AryaG08
    AryaG08 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was frantically posting about the same thing yesterday! It's been a month of yoga and trying to change food habits followed by another three weeks of yoga, 1200 calorie diet and gym in the evenings. Just 1kg lost and I totally panicked. I swear my leggings have stopped sliding off my belly and this morning I saw the outline of my lower rib cage pop out a bit, like saplings in spring after a long winter lmao ! It just made me so happy! Don't give up, you are doing great !
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

Unless you had a DEXA scan before and after...you don't know. Gaining strength is not the same thing as gaining muscle mass. If you are relying on those bio-impedance things, those things are horribly inaccurate.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I went six months with the same few pounds going up and down on the scale. But during that time I dropped a full size. Grab a measuring tape and start tracking measurments. The scale will mess with your head, and can fluctuate daily based on all kinds of factors that don't mean you're not making progress, but the tape measure does not lie.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Bodies are weird. I lost about 1 pound last week but felt soooo bloated when getting on the scale. I was sure I was going to see either a gain or no change. I try not to stay focused on the number because I can always feel the difference in my clothes before I see the scale change.
  • lowderglenna
    lowderglenna Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    JoeCWV wrote: »
    You're doing it right. Keep on keeping on.

My weight has been lose a lb gain a lb. I've been walking 3-4 times a week, throwing in other exercises as I walk. I can feel a change in my clothes, but the scales aren't changing much. I want a flatter belly.