Help me reach my fast approaching goal??

Options
Info to start with:
1. My goal is approaching on June 17th.
2. I didn't just start my journey. I've been working at this since February 1st. Granted, not forever, but I've been working hard and have truly made a lifestyle change.
3. I'm about 16lbs from goal, which is in approximately 8 weeks.
4. I am counting calories and weighing food. Yes, I'm eating at a deficit, and I'm about to tighten that up as well.
5. I walk 3 miles, six days a week. I also do PiYo 6 days a week (body weight).

I think I would be much closer to my goal of it wasn't for the medication I was on. My doctor determined that it was messing with my body, and now she's taken me off of it.

With that said, can anyone give me tips to give me that extra edge to reach my goal? Should I add in an extra cardio session in the morning? Should I cut out any foods? Any tips would really be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Replies

• mom2wessarah
    mom2wessarah Posts: 72 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Just like previous poster, I'd say, what's happening on June 17? Sounds like you're doing things right, but meds or something external is affecting your weight loss. Don't beat yourself up, just be realistic.

Great job so far!
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think you should reevaluate your goal. Unless you are significantly overweight, losing 2 pounds a week is too much.

What he said. Looking at your profile pics, you are nowhere near obese, so you shouldn't be looking to lose more than one pound per week. While it's disappointing to have to shift goal achievement dates further out, you should probably reconsider how much you can safely lose between now and June 17.
  • drummondk
    drummondk Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My profile pic is from several years ago. I've had another baby since then. The meds did mess with my weight loss, but I'm off of them now. A 16lb loss isn't my final weight loss goal, just the goal I set for June. I actually have at least 27 more to lose.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I think you should reevaluate your goal. Unless you are significantly overweight, losing 2 pounds a week is too much.

What he said. Looking at your profile pics, you are nowhere near obese, so you shouldn't be looking to lose more than one pound per week. While it's disappointing to have to shift goal achievement dates further out, you should probably reconsider how much you can safely lose between now and June 17.

He's a girl. I agree with her, too.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

D'oh! Sorry, @jemhh!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    drummondk wrote: »
    My profile pic is from several years ago. I've had another baby since then. The meds did mess with my weight loss, but I'm off of them now. A 16lb loss isn't my final weight loss goal, just the goal I set for June. I actually have at least 27 more to lose.

The usual recommendations for rate of loss are:

- No more than 1% of your body weight per week
    - 0.5 lbs per week if you have 25 lbs or less to lose
    - 1 lb per week if you have 25 - 50 lbs to lose
    - 1.5 lb per week if you have 50 - 75 lbs to lose
    - 2 lbs per week if you have 75 + lbs to lose
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

D'oh! Sorry, @jemhh!

Ha! No problem. It made me laugh. I seem to be on a streak of being misidentified as a man for some reason. You're not the first.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Since you are doing 6 days a week, I would say don't add more exercise! You don't want to overwork yourself - I assume that PiYo is physically demanding. You could perhaps try making one of those 3 mile walks a 1 mile run/walk or something, just to change it up on your body and keep your muscles from adapting.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I would agree with this, too.
    Please understand, OP, that we aren't trying to be negative; it's just that having a timed goal, and possibly (likely, especially with less than 50 lbs to lose) not meeting that goal, could set you up for major disappointment. One of the major reaaons people fail on their weight loss plan is that they set unrealistic goals.
    Also, if you're set to 2lb/wk and MPF has set you up with 1200 calories, it's not a guarantee that you'll lose 2 lbs a week, given your current weight. 1200 is just the minimum amount that MFP will give a female, no matter if you set your goal to 1 lb or 2lbs per week.
    Honestly, though, is it more important to be xx lbs by XX date, or to be as sustainably healthy, active, and fit as possible? Why not try for those goals instead? If you do not meet that goal by that date, what will happen?
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The lower your bodyweight, the less you can lose. I.e. a 250lb obese person can cut over 1000 calories from their TDEE for a loss of over 2lbs per week. Meanwhile, a short 120lb girl cutting that amount of calories would leave her flat with little energy throughout the day.

A general recommendation is to aim for -10% to -20% of your TDEE (10% for conservative and 20% for ambitious). This way, this is in line with your weight. Much more effective than giving the same number for a super heavy individual vs a short and light individual.
  • TheUwuest
    TheUwuest Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Sheesh, there is nothing wrong with a 2 lb a week goal unless you're sedentary (which you are not), very short/petite (maybe you are) or only eating junk (I hope not). Get your nutrients, eat your exercise calories back,and maybe watch the salty things since they can temporarily retain water and be discouraging during weigh-ins. As for tips, try plenty of plain tea/occasional coffee or any warm, calorie free drink since they can feel very filling and not as sloshy and unpleasant as cold liquid. More exercise would certainly not be a problem, not because you don't do it often enough but because what you mentioned isn't terribly intense. 2 pounds is the maximum to shoot for though.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    TheUwuest wrote: »
    Sheesh, there is nothing wrong with a 2 lb a week goal unless you're sedentary (which you are not), very short/petite (maybe you are) or only eating junk (I hope not). Get your nutrients, eat your exercise calories back,and maybe watch the salty things since they can temporarily retain water and be discouraging during weigh-ins. As for tips, try plenty of plain tea/occasional coffee or any warm, calorie free drink since they can feel very filling and not as sloshy and unpleasant as cold liquid. More exercise would certainly not be a problem, not because you don't do it often enough but because what you mentioned isn't terribly intense. 2 pounds is the maximum to shoot for though.

Two pounds per week for a woman who is less than 100+ pounds overweight is extremely difficult to achieve without eating at very unhealthy levels. The fact that something is mathematically possible doesn't mean that it is healthy or wise.
  • drummondk
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I promise I didn't take anyone's comments as negative! Maybe I should rephrase my original statement. I have TOTALLY made a lifestyle change and I'm the happiest I've been in a long time! Ideally, yes I'd love to lose that weight by June, but all in all, I want to be as in shape, slim, whatever as possible--whatever weight that is.

I was just looking for any tips that might help push me farther. ;)

Keep the tips coming, though. I really do appreciate ALL of the feedback.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    TheUwuest wrote: »

Two pounds per week for a woman who is less than 100+ pounds overweight is extremely difficult to achieve without eating at very unhealthy levels. The fact that something is mathematically possible doesn't mean that it is healthy or wise.

and at too aggressive of a goal the weight loss is muscle and fat which is not good for anyone.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I promise I didn't take anyone's comments as negative! Maybe I should rephrase my original statement. I have TOTALLY made a lifestyle change and I'm the happiest I've been in a long time! Ideally, yes I'd love to lose that weight by June, but all in all, I want to be as in shape, slim, whatever as possible--whatever weight that is.

Have you considered adding in heavy lifting.

I say this because you might want to consider leaving the scale as secondary goal and instead liking what you see in the mirror.

I lift heavy and weight about 150lbs @ 5 ft 7...I wear a size 4 and no one thinks I weigh what I weigh...
  • drummondk
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Have you considered adding in heavy lifting.

I say this because you might want to consider leaving the scale as secondary goal and instead liking what you see in the mirror.

I lift heavy and weight about 150lbs @ 5 ft 7...I wear a size 4 and no one thinks I weigh what I weigh...

Yes, I've definitely thought about this. I'm 5'4 and currently 153lbs. I mean ultimately, yes, I just want to look good.