FIBER

Options
Im always low on fiber. What food can has LOW calories but lots of fiber! Also i always stay below my 1260 intake...im talking like 300 to 400 left over just on case the calories i take in is wrong or something...... any opinions?

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Green beans and broccoli are both excellent. You can eat LOTS of those to stop the hunger pangs, too.
  • kalynpethel
    kalynpethel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Will look into!! Thankyou!
  • texasleahgirl
    texasleahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Jicama, potatoes and oatmeal are how I meet or even exceed my fiber intake without maxing calories.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    chia seeds,berries,flax seeds,hemp seeds,apples.just to name a few
  • galaxyeyes3720
    galaxyeyes3720 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Beans! They aren't low calorie but they are VERY filling. I eat a bean burrito almost every day for lunch and a pound of roasted veggies (usually broccoli or Brussels sprouts) with dinner.
  • kalynpethel
    kalynpethel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    youre going 300 below 1260? =/ are you 4 foot 7?

No i am 5'7
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    chia seeds,berries,flax seeds,hemp seeds,apples.just to name a few

This, and psyllium husk powder, low calorie and high fibre.

• opalquartz
    opalquartz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you use a food scale and log accurately there's absolutely no need to go so far below your calories... it's dangerous to eat below 1200, and impossible to get the nutrients you need at such a low calorie level.
    Pretty much all fruits and veggies are high in fiber, and beans and lentils as well.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    fiber gummies are your friends, also psyllium husk. im usually around getting 50g fiber per day, if you eat veggies with every meal its really easy to ramp up fiber
  • 1992fx3
    1992fx3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Kellogg's All Bran Buds cereal, 1/3 cup is 51% of the RDA for fiber, 80 calories.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    ^cereal is a great source of fiber. Kinda hard for the low carb folk, though. I'm low on fiber as well and after how much Harvard Health raves about getting fiber, I need to get my butt in gear and work it into my diet
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Im always low on fiber. What food can has LOW calories but lots of fiber! Also i always stay below my 1260 intake...im talking like 300 to 400 left over just on case the calories i take in is wrong or something...... any opinions?

Uh, 1260 - 300 = 960 cals a day. :neutral: No bueno. I would be less concerned about the fiber and more concerned about getting the proper number of cals into your body first. With a goal of only 1260, you've got quite a bit of wiggle room for calorie errors anyway, so I wound't worry about coming in so low "just in case". You're setting yourself up for far more harm than good with that.

Remember that your daily calorie goal is just that, a GOAL - something to aim for, achieve, accomplish, not something to fall well short of.

Great fiber sources - oatmeal, whole grain breads, beans (pinto, black, etc), sweet potatoes, and Trader Joe's has these awesome granola bars that have 9g of fiber in each bar, and they are very tasty!

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Raspberries are like 8g of fiber for about 65 calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you try to stay 300-400 below 1,260, you're going to be missing a lot more of your nutritional needs besides fiber. Get a food scale, learn to log accurately, and don't worry about leaving that much of a buffer. That way you will be able to get your fiber and everything else that you need.
  • ashleyadeline
    ashleyadeline Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I add legumes, or beans, to absolutely everything. Hashbrowns? Add black beans, corn, and some salsa. Salads? Add any type of bean. Soups or stews? Put some beans in there. Beans are so high in protein, fiber, and an array of micronutrients. They are amazing.
  • SherifWahab
    SherifWahab Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    first I need to know how to calculate my fiber intake, can any one help.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    first I need to know how to calculate my fiber intake, can any one help.

If you log your food in MFP, you should be able to see how much fiber you are eating each day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's a simple way to do it. Everything you eat except your dairy and your protein should have fiber in it. Like whole grains, fruit, and vegetables. Easy peasy.

Hit your minimum calorie target daily to avoid unintended side effects like hair loss and a weakened heart.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you have hit your calorie target for the day, simply add metamucil to your water and chug it down. Lowest possible calories. But I suspect you've got room to add fiber to your day now.