Just an overweight old guy trying to be a triathlete

Options
Can I post this on two forums? It seems to fit in two and I'm looking for some friends. Anyways, about me.

41 / 6'0"
SW 276
CW 247
GW 199
Secondary goal - Complete a sprint triathlon without dying or drowning.

I've always been bigger than my friends but at 6 foot I carried it pretty well. That is, until I got way too fat. Between work, school, family stuff, and everything else I just quit worrying about my weight. But, in the back of my mind I had this little voice. It occasionally told me I could be better. I SHOULD take better care of myself.

Last year on a whim I signed up for a 5k and started training for it with a couch to 5K app. Before I knew it I had completed four 5Ks and lost about 25 pounds. The winter months and holidays resulted in a loss of focus but I'm back on track now.

I'm concentrating on my diet (exercise can undo a poor diet) mainly following CICO but keeping my carbs low. I have done some short KETO runs but not sure if that's a long term solution for me.

Anyways, I have had a dream to do a triathlon for many year, even bought a book about it years ago but never started training. Now, I registered for a triathlon in October and have started training for it. (I'm going to pickup a good used Raleigh road bike tomorrow. Whoop!).

Looking for friends. If you have ANY of the same interest as me. Send a request. We will support each other.

Replies

• guppy1697
    guppy1697 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the progress you've made so far! I also set a goal to complete a sprint triathlon at the end of August. Not too sure about the swim portion. It will definitely be my most difficult part! How is your training going?
  • 75poundgoal
    75poundgoal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a familiar story. I am not trying to run a triathlon but it sounds like we have similar starting, current and weight loss goals. Good luck! I will send a friend request.
  • txcaveman
    txcaveman Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Villae81 - I think you are correct. The run in a sprint tri is only a 5k and I'm running that 2 or 3 times a week now and have not crashed. Right now, fat loss is priority. But, I'm open to opinion if more experienced athletes have advise.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    txcaveman wrote: »
    Villae81 - I think you are correct. The run in a sprint tri is only a 5k and I'm running that 2 or 3 times a week now and have not crashed. Right now, fat loss is priority. But, I'm open to opinion if more experienced athletes have advise.

But that 5km run is after a 750m swim and 20km bike! :o

I'm a crappy swimmer so I've stuck with duathons (longest so far Olympic distance) and I couldn't imagine trying that low carb.

BTW, at 41 you're not an "old guy" you're a young whippersnapper..... as far as training goes make sure to incorporate "brick" workouts (run right after biking) expect the first few to be hilarious as your legs will feel like jello and practice transitions (always lay out your gear the same way) & check out beginnertriathlete,com

• ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My first sprint was fun. I blew myself up on the bike so that run was like the butan death march. Make sure to run some two sport workouts, and really... Work that endurance. I have a buddy who is a flabby 240, and he's finished two ironmans.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if you're trying to do it low carb, you're going to likely have an unpleasant time and mediocre results.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Low carb!! Yikes!! I would tank, good luck!!
  • evorgsumaf
    evorgsumaf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Almost the same age here, and just finished my first indoor triathlon in January (I'm hooked). Before that I was over weight and couldn't swim. I gave myself the goals of 1. learn to swim and 2. do the triathlon. This year I have two planned that will be proper outdoor tris. I am doing the sprint distance now, but wouldn't mind an Olympic if the opportunity showed itself. Keep up the good work, this is a fun sport to be doing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Check out this group to find people with triathlon experience: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/88-triathletes-duathletes

I used to do triathlons (mostly olympic distance), as well as running, back in my early to mid 30s after a prior get really fit kick, and due to life and so on fell out of the habit and got really out of shape by my early 40s. When I started MFP in early 2014 at age 44, one of my main goals, besides losing the weight, was to be able to do triathlons again, and to finally complete a half ironman, which had always been a goal. I spent 2014 mostly losing weight and getting back into shape, although I did some running and biking events, and then added in a couple of triathlons in 2015, including my first half iron one last September (at age 45) -- definitely did not set any records and feel like I could have done better, but that only motivated me to try to commit more fully this year.
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Rock on brother! I'm 46 and training for my 2nd sprint tri. 1st one was 3 years ago and I did minimal training for it. Got the itch again and I'm trying to do more/better training and crush my previous time. We'll see. Bought a proper road bike a couple weeks ago, makes the biking much nicer. I was using an old rusty wal mart bike before. :'(

I'm a HORRIBLE swimmer. Not in danger of drowning or anything but inefficient and slow. Luckily that's only a small portion of a sprint.

I wouldn't go low carb unless you have a specific reason to. CICO will get your weight down, you need those carbs for your training.

Everyone here feel free to add me as a friend!
  • txcaveman
    Options
    guppy1697 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the progress you've made so far! I also set a goal to complete a sprint triathlon at the end of August. Not too sure about the swim portion. It will definitely be my most difficult part! How is your training going?

So far I've been focusing on running. I have been out on my mountain bike a few time and ride the bike at the gym. My neighborhood pool opens in a couple of weeks and I'll start swimming more. Fortunately the sprint I'm registered for has the swim in a pool (not open water). Looking into doing some adult swim lessons by the only place close-by only offers them at 5:30 am!!!
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options

So far I've been focusing on running. I have been out on my mountain bike a few time and ride the bike at the gym. My neighborhood pool opens in a couple of weeks and I'll start swimming more. Fortunately the sprint I'm registered for has the swim in a pool (not open water). Looking into doing some adult swim lessons by the only place close-by only offers them at 5:30 am!!!

Check and see if there's a tri club in your area. You'd probably find someone willing to take a look at your swim and give you some pointers
  • guppy1697
    guppy1697 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

That's really early I can certainly feel your pain. When I go to the gym it's usually before work. If I'm working out by 6am I'm not running late. It takes some time getting used to waking up so early but if you get in a routine it gets better. I've been doing the same thing in terms of training. I've been running and biking on a stationary bike. Waiting for my apartment's pool to open up memorial day weekend to start swim training. I also have a rec center that I can purchase 10 visits for a lessor fee than a full year membership. They have an Olympic pool which will make training for the swim a lot better! Might be worth looking at local rec centers in case they have nice pools you can utilize.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    huh.. my reply to this has disappeared. :/
  • txcaveman
    Options
    huh.. my reply to this has disappeared. :/

I posted almost the exact same thing in "Motivation and Support". Your reply is over there.