Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Will nano tech really let humans live longer and longer?

GaleHawkins
GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
businessinsider.com/googles-chief-futurist-thinks-we-could-start-living-forever-by-2029-2016-4

"The second is work being done at Joslin Diabetes Center in Connecticut, which has used biotechnology to turn off the fat insulin receptor gene in animals, allowing them to eat large quantities of food without developing diabetes or gaining weight. By hacking the human body we can ditch millennia-old genes that serve no purpose and increase our lifespan significantly."

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    I want some. Who do I send a check to?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    It will help us live longer.

Or end us...as speculated in the Grey Goo Hypothesis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    I think long term safety will be harder to predict than childhood vaccines...
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

Pricing this technology would be interesting because one would want to charge as much as possible but yet avoid the severe public relations disaster and regulatory reaction from going too far. Then, we have the risks of overcrowding and severe economic disparity that would naturally result from allowing the billionaires who would first be able to afford it to live forever. Would society develop into two groups, those wealthy enough to become immortal and who would eventually control all capital, and the remaining mortal serfs?
  • _John_

Pricing this technology would be interesting because one would want to charge as much as possible but yet avoid the severe public relations disaster and regulatory reaction from going too far. Then, we have the risks of overcrowding and severe economic disparity that would naturally result from allowing the billionaires who would first be able to afford it to live forever. Would society develop into two groups, those wealthy enough to become immortal and who would eventually control all capital, and the remaining mortal serfs?

I'd pay 8.75 (matinee) to see that. Is it in 3D?
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited April 2016
    _John_ wrote: »

Pretty sure this was supposed to be the plot of Jupiter Ascending. :lol:
  • _John_
    snikkins wrote: »

I don't discriminate against recycled intellectual property, I just want it to be done well...
  • sunnybeaches105
    snikkins wrote: »

The tomato meter rates that one a 26. I haven't seen it, but if that's the plot they can do better.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member

Wow! The matinee locally is $6 but $7 of 3D.

Criminal now showing shows the brain info transfer technology concept plus I thought it was a good movie. The science writers seem to run 20-40 years of the implementation of new technologies. Nano tech some think is going to be a game changer. Flipping gene expression will be huge for sure.
  • mespreeman
    mespreeman Posts: 70 Member

Wasn't this the plot of a Justin Timberlake movie?
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    If any of you have played Metal Gear Solid you know this can't be good! :scream:
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    tumblr_static_2qjzllx2q4w0c408w08o4wk8o_640_v2.jpg

Personally, I just want to be a full cyborg already
  • sunnybeaches105
    edited April 2016
    mespreeman wrote: »

You all are killing my perfect dystopian vision
  • bpetrosky

Would you settle for an imperfect dystopian vision?
  • sunnybeaches105
    bpetrosky wrote: »

I see imperfect being filmed in color as a musical. It's all wrong.
  • bpetrosky
    edited April 2016

How about "Mad Max - The Fury Road Musical, Starring Russell Crowe and Hugh Jackman"?
  • sunnybeaches105

How about "Mad Max - The Fury Road Musical, Starring Russell Crowe and Hugh Jackman"?

The lack of nanobots, Grey Goo, and a real backstory killed it for me.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Yikes. Imagine someone hacking your nanobots... nope.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    It could deplete the world's food sources faster. So while the amount we have now may be fine (though it would be nice to be able to fully share it with everyone), I could see a lot of over farming happening and eventually might make people/animals die.