Three week stall

Options
I've stalled out on losing fat at 210 lbs. Been stuck here for about three weeks now I've cut my calories down to around 2000 a day I lift weights following the starting strength routine 3days a week doing HIIT style cardio on the tread mill 5 days a week and I just can't seem to break this plateau. I've been able to smash past other plateaus in my journey from being 380 lbs at my max but this one just doesn't want to break. Any help or ideas to get past this one would be highly appreciated .

My stats currently are
6'2 210lbs I'd guess 15-20% bf
My macros are
Protein 170-180g
Carbs 100-130g
Fats 80-90
Around 1900-2100 calories a day

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    09xr36z7t8rd.jpg From @lemonlionheart

Congrats on weight loss so far!! As you get closer to your goal, your calorie counting as to get more accurate. Looking at your food diary, I think you do not use a food scale.
  • Bama1818
    Bama1818 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use measuring cups, spoons, and a scale where in my tracking am I going wrong?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Bama1818 wrote: »
    I use measuring cups, spoons, and a scale where in my tracking am I going wrong?

Are you using the scale for all solid food?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

The question is asked because you are logging the same exact amount of the foods every day. Did you weigh the butter, oats, tuna, chicken, sweet potato, and protein powder on the food scale?

Congrats, by the way, you've made awesome progress! Keep in mind 3 weeks "could" just be a random stall too, it's right on the borderline.
  • Bama1818
    Options

Are you using the scale for all solid food?

Yes I'll use a small plastic container on the scale zero the scale out with the container on it then add food sweet potatoes, broccoli, oatmeal I even weigh on the protein powder I use before mixing a shake to make sure its 32grams
  • RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Like @janejellyroll mentioned, a food scale needs to be used for ALL solid food. That includes things that are packaged. The weight of packaged single-serving foods are often way off. So weigh out a serving of your oats in the morning instead of using a cup, weigh your Steamfresh broccoli and sweet potatoes. And like @queenliz99 said, your logging has to be super accurate since you're getting much closer to your goal weight. There's less room for margin of error.
  • Bama1818
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

The question is asked because you are logging the same exact amount of the foods every day. Did you weigh the butter, oats, tuna, chicken, sweet potato, and protein powder on the food scale?

Congrats, by the way, you've made awesome progress! Keep in mind 3 weeks "could" just be a random stall too, it's right on the borderline.

Okay yea I'm very precise kind of OCD I cut every chicken breast to 6oz raw before I cook them on Sunday for example. The butter I go by the marks on the paper the butter is wrapped in that are marked in 1 tbsp segments
  • RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Okay yea I'm very precise kind of OCD I cut every chicken breast to 6oz raw before I cook them on Sunday for example. The butter I go by the marks on the paper the butter is wrapped in that are marked in 1 tbsp segments

The butter needs to be weighed.
  • Bama1818
    edited April 2016
    Options
    RA60172 wrote: »

The butter needs to be weighed.

I apologize I Do weigh the segments that I cut on the marked line to make sure that they're 14 grams. I do understand its odd to see and read a food diary where nothing really changes besides weights and serving sizes over the course of what seems forever at this point.
  • Bama1818
    Options
    So the egg whites, olive oil , and milk can be measured with spoons and cups correctly right?
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You could try reducing your goal intake a little. That'll give you more of a buffer to appease the "you must be mis-measuring" crowd. (And assuage any doubts you might have in that direction.) Plus, three weeks? Meh. I'd give it time. As long as you're neither utterly miserable because you're hungry all the time and you're not gaining weight, what's the harm in just maintaining for a little while? Nice work so far, BTW!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    So the egg whites, olive oil , and milk can be measured with spoons and cups correctly right?

Yes, cups & spoons for liquids, weight for solids.
    If all you're off on is the butter, I'm not really sure what else to suggest. Hang in there! Maybe someone else will have more suggestions...
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Are you stalled completely? Are you losing inches?
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Did you start or add any different exercise recently? How long ago did you cut to 2k calories a day? Do you eat back exercise calories?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Did you start anything new like a new medicine for example? Maybe try to drop another 100cals a day temporarily to see if yoiu start losing again?
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I just went through a 4 week stall - it was frustrating but I just kept on keeping on with my diet and exercise and suddenly, I dropped 2 lbs. Dont give up!
  • Bama1818
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Did you start or add any different exercise recently? How long ago did you cut to 2k calories a day? Do you eat back exercise calories?
    I cut back about a month ago or so I figured my TDEE and went on the conservative side with my intake. I have started running faster in my 30 mins of HIIT on the tread mill 4mph on down side 8mph on up side
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Did you start anything new like a new medicine for example? Maybe try to drop another 100cals a day temporarily to see if yoiu start losing again?

The only thing that I've did new is stopping the use tobacco but I don't see how that can stall me. The only thing I don't track is coffee it's like 4 cups on the 3 days I lift weights I just mix my almond milk with the coffee .
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I cut back about a month ago or so I figured my TDEE and went on the conservative side with my intake. I have started running faster in my 30 mins of HIIT on the tread mill 4mph on down side 8mph on up side
    gebeziseva wrote: »

The only thing that I've did new is stopping the use tobacco but I don't see how that can stall me. The only thing I don't track is coffee it's like 4 cups on the 3 days I lift weights I just mix my almond milk with the coffee .

Well, CONGRATS on cutting out tobacco! Stabilizing while you get nicotine out of your system isn't a bad thing and I agree with those who commented that you should just relax a bit. If you're tobacco-free, working out and eating properly, you're already well on your way to your best health profile. At your height 210 is probably not too far from your goal weight, so you're at the tough spot already. No nicotine and no gaining? CONGRATS AGAIN!
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    How often are you weighing yourself? If I didn't weigh myself every single day, I would feel like I'm spinning in circles. I'm trying to lose very slowly though (4.5 pounds in the last 10 weeks).

The less you have to lose, the more patient you have to be.