weighing Quinoa or rice...

Options
how do you weigh these carbs? only because the box scanned is just it not cooked. How do you weigh it cooked?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    you need to weigh it before you cook it.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    i do weigh it but its difficult to make that amount as its very small.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »

sorry, that's the only way.

You have to weigh it before it's cooked just like pasta. Although i can't see how cooking 1 portion is harder than cooking 2 or 3. *shrug*
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I typically measure quinoa and rice by volume (i.e. 1/4 cup), not weight.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    A typical serving is 1/2 a cup. You can easily weigh/cook a half a cup of rice
  • danareinhart
    danareinhart Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you want to make multiple servings at once, weigh out X servings of the dry, uncooked grain. After cooking, take the total weight of the cooked food and divide by X to find the cooked weight of one serving.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If you want to make multiple servings at once, weigh out X servings of the dry, uncooked grain. After cooking, take the total weight of the cooked food and divide by X to find the cooked weight of one serving.

That's what I do, though I'm not sure why it would be difficult just to make one serving. Usually I make 4 servings and divide them for the week for lunch, but if I only want one, I just make one.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

How small a serving are you making??
  • Miss_Mabee
    Miss_Mabee Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    yeah im with you guys, I usually make multiple servings. Especially because im into the whole "resistant starches" thing so I cook my grains/potatoes with some coconut oil and let cool and reheat as I eat it throughout the week. But yeah I usually make 4 servings of rice then divide it evenly between 4 containers.

The reason that you have to measure before is that the weight is inaccurate cooked as some will absorb more water than other batches so 1/4 cup of rice might turn into 3/4 cooked or a full cup but still contain the same number of calories.

For another example some people like their pasta al dante while others like theirs super soft. The super soft will have absorbed more water and will take up more space/ weight more but will still have the same number of cals as the al dante. I hope this makes sense :)
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Weight before. Cook in a rice cooker as it is way easier and much better tasting.

If you're splitting up multiple servings and planning on eating all of it throughout the week. I'd just eye-ball the portions. Maybe one day you'll have a little less, one day you'll have a little more but it will equal out.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of rice since my husband is Chinese. I weighed out the dry rice and weighed a 1 cup serving few times but discovered that they came out to about 190 calories every time. So now I just use my cup measure and give it 205 calories.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    1. Weigh out n-servings of dry food
    2. Prepare as directed
    3. Weigh prepared food
    4. 1 serving prepared = (Prepared weight/n)
    5. Log what you actually serve yourself / prepared weight
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I eat rice almost every day. I use a food scale, set to grams, and weigh out one serving size dry.