Help! Tips on how to stick to calories when on vacation and eating out all the time!

Options
Hello, I don't post much but was looking to see if anyone had any helpful suggestions regarding how/what to eat when on vacation and only real access to food is eating out. I am going to Disney with my 3 little kids for 9 days. I am excited and lucky to be going but I am terrified of gaining back the weight I have lost. I know I can try and exercise a bit while there, but given our crazy schedule it will be minimal and also how to stick to my 1500 calorie a day goal. Uggh.. I know what needs to be done, but just looking on some tips from anyone that has went through this.. Thanks!

Replies

• CarpStylist
    CarpStylist Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Disney land has terrible fattening food and super expensive. I would suggest that you bring some snack options and maybe treat yourself to one junk item with the kids. You will also be walking a lot so don't forget to track your steps! Have fun and set a healthy realistic example for your kiddos!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I went in October and I enjoyed myself. I probably ate 3000 a day while there.
    You could always go for lower carb options to keep you fuller longer and set your diary to maintenance so you can eat a little more. This vacation is to spend time with your family, don't worry too much about calories.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. You're going to walk a ton at Disney and as long as you make smart food choices, you'll be fine. The portions at quick service restaurants were pretty big for me, so I ordered a kids meal or you can split an adult entree between you and a one of your kids. Feel free to have a few treats too.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Even the kid portions at Disney are huge, so definitely share meals!!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You will likely be walking more than usual which will help offset some of the calories. Many people find it helpful to set their goal at maintenance during a vacation to try and allow some room for splurges without feeling like they've blown their deficit out of the water. When I'm on vacation or eating any meal out I try to prioritize what I really want, and skip things that are less important. That may mean passing on bread in favor of wine. Ordering just an appetizer so I can have dessert, things like that.

It's one week. Even if you go crazy it's unlikely you would put on more than 1-2 lbs of actual weight, you may see more than that from water retention when you first return though.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Just really watch your carbs...bread, sweets, etc...
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I have a family that wants to meet and eat out all the time. I have had great success sticking with grilled fish and veggies..so much so that I still wind up under each day. Fish tacos, as long as they include grilled fish and slaw are always a favorite find on mine. I get stuffed and I'm still all good.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfast. It's not usually very good anyway, in my experience. Or you could eat a late, big lunch and skip dinner instead. All of the walking will definitely help offset some calories. Just try to make good choices and enjoy yourself...because it's Disney!!
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    You will likely be walking more than usual which will help offset some of the calories. Many people find it helpful to set their goal at maintenance during a vacation to try and allow some room for splurges without feeling like they've blown their deficit out of the water. When I'm on vacation or eating any meal out I try to prioritize what I really want, and skip things that are less important. That may mean passing on bread in favor of wine. Ordering just an appetizer so I can have dessert, things like that.

It's one week. Even if you go crazy it's unlikely you would put on more than 1-2 lbs of actual weight, you may see more than that from water retention when you first return though.

This is what I was going to suggest-during my weight loss phase when we went of vacation I went into maintenance mode. This gives you some extra wiggle room. Plus with the walking you're going to be doing you'll be fine :) Just remember it may take a few days after you get back to get the scale stabilized, due to water retention etc from the higher sodium intake of the restaurant food. Personally, I wouldn't weigh yourself until you've been back, and back to your routine for a week.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

Hello, I don't post much but was looking to see if anyone had any helpful suggestions regarding how/what to eat when on vacation and only real access to food is eating out. I am going to Disney with my 3 little kids for 9 days. I am excited and lucky to be going but I am terrified of gaining back the weight I have lost. I know I can try and exercise a bit while there, but given our crazy schedule it will be minimal and also how to stick to my 1500 calorie a day goal. Uggh.. I know what needs to be done, but just looking on some tips from anyone that has went through this.. Thanks!

If you are going to Disney World, you will find that there are, along with the usual park fare, quite a few healthy and less calorie dense options. The last time I went, for example, I had grilled salmon with redskin potatoes and fresh asparagus at one of their counter service restaurants.

My suggestion is that you research the food options wherever you are going to be. You may be surprised at the choices.

Will you be staying on property? If so their options for breakfast include quite a few healthier alternatives.
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    On vacations I pretty much only eat Brunch and Dinner. Easiest way to keep from going too crazy. That said, near the Star Wars Jedi training thing at Disneyland there is a food service counter that has grilled chicken sandwiches with avocado. Not too bad for calories, etc.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    If your destination has internet (vs a cruise, where data rates are outrageous) - I'd suggest using the MFP mobile app and look up the foods that are on the menu that may get your attention. That way, you can make informed choices vs a blind guess
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't. I just came back from a 4-day trip to San Francisco and I ate all kinds of wonderfully delicious food! I gained 6 pounds. In the 2 days I've been back I've already lost 2.3 of those pounds.
    As far as I am concerned, vacations are to be enjoyed. If I come back heavier than when I started... no worries... I KNOW how to take it right back off!
    28 pounds lost, and maintaining that loss, for 6 months now (with the occasional gain due to vacations ;) )!
  • alysonseelick
    alysonseelick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! Really good suggestions and thoughts!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Which Disney?

I went to Disneyworld and there was a restaurant with healthier option in every part of the park, pretty much. Just do a quick google search about 'healthy eating at Disney' and you'll find articles and forums with advice on where to eat in each part of each park.

I went there for 6 days and managed to maintain my weight just fine (I was 25 pounds overweight at the time) and I was eating just whatever I felt like for breakfast. Theme park food is just NOT worth the calories, so don't waste precious calories on high calorie things that won't even be worth the splurge (only exceptions - the expensive restaurants and Epcott world showcase - then feel free to splurge for one meal!). Some places have salmon with couscous and veggies (and definitely not a huge portion, IMO), a lot of places have salads (ask for dressing on the side and skip the croutons). Breakfast was the toughest for me because it's hard to resist their chocolate chip pancakes but they had omelets too.

Whatever you do, don't order from that pizza place that delivers there though. Nastiest pizza I've ever had (but hubby wanted it and I was STARVING).

And yeah you'll be walking a lot and I strongly suggest bringing comfortable shoes. I ruined my sandals AND my feet there.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Unless the policies have changed in the last two years, WDW allows you to bring your own food & drink into the park. That's what we did, though our goal was really to save money for the 4 of us plus my parents.

We ate breakfast every morning in our off-site condo, brought our lunch into the parks, and purchased dinner there (if needed, one day we didn't even need to since we brought extra!) You only have to figure out how to carry the food around. We just brought a big insulated tote and someone (usually my mother who hates rides!) was always carrying it. They do have lockers available.

It was a great way to keep tabs on what I was eating, and that combined with the 30k+ steps a day (crazy!) I only gained 1-2 lbs over 6 days. Even that was gone (and then some) within a week. I believe they post calorie counts on some of their foods as well (at least on a website guide somewhere), but I'm not sure of that.

I would try not to worry about it too much if possible. You won't gain 30lbs in 9 days (I promise!) but even if you do gain a couple of pounds or even more, just come back ready to go! And you'll have a great time!