I'm pregnant!

Options
Hi everyone.. The following questions are just to have an idea about what to expect, and I will be asking my doctor on my first appointment.

I started my weight loss journey in September 2015 at 287 lbs. I am now at 212. (I lost 75 lbs.) I just found out I am pregnant.

Where does this leave me calorie-wise? Am I supposed to "maintain"? Can I still lose weight while providing the necessary nutrition for my baby or is that just reckless?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You should maintain for your first trimester. Do not actively seek to lose weight without your doctor's permission. Your body is going to basically be working overtime to sustain pregnancy, baby and body and needs the calories an nutrition.
  • ChrisRendon1128
    ChrisRendon1128 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Should I "eat back" my exercise calories? Do I need to adjust my macros? I currently have them at 40% carbs 30% protein 30% fats...

Sorry guys I'm just a little nervous about gaining too much weight. My first 2 pregnancies I was super unhealthy and didn't even care about what I ate and did not exercise. I am much more health-conscious now.

Thanks!!!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about the macros, except to make sure you're eating foods that will keep you feeling full. First trimester is one of the hardest, because of morning sickness (which thankfully I never had with either of my girls) and food aversions/cravings. I had an extreme aversion to meat... so it was hard getting protein. I pretty much survived on pizza and french fries for like 70% of my pregnancy, I just kept it to my calories. And yes, you should eat your exercise calories too. Definitely stay active. I swear, it helps with labor and delivery. I logged for my entire 2nd pregnancy (my girls are 6 years apart, my 1st pregnancy was the same as yours, didn't care what I ate, I only took a prenatal swim class but didn't exercise otherwise). I feel like my 2nd pregnancy was much healthier and I gained less weight (45 lbs with my first, only 24ish with my 2nd). The only other thing I'll say is to not be too hard on yourself with weight gain. Yes, it's an uphill mental battle that will mind-eff you. Just try to cut yourself some slack and relax about it a bit. I stressed out about it all the time and I really wish I hadn't.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on the pregnancy and losing 75 lbs.! That's awesome.

Definitely think "quality over quantity". You want to eat enough nutritious food to fuel your body but you do NOT need to eat for two. Discuss is with your doctor for sure, though.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Congrats on both your pregnancy and also your weight loss so far! Pregnancies can be such a roller coaster, especially if you get hit with morning sickness. With my girls I actually weighed less on my delivery days, than what I weighed at my first prenatal visits, due to non-stop morning sickness throughout the entire pregnancies. I'd just switch to maintenance level calories for now, and then discuss your plan during your next doctor visit.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Maintain + a couple hundred in the 2nd/3rd.
    Have a calorie goal- not necessarily in deficit unless you speak to your OB.
    Eat back some exercise calories too.

Try not to stress about every little calorie though. Remember your end goal is a healthy baby-and a healthy you, not a beach body.
    Congrats and enjoy!!
  • ChrisRendon1128
    Options
    Thanks ladies!! This is definitely gonna be a huge change for me... Switched to maintenance level already :)
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor, but I know mine was fine with me losing weight while pregnant because he said the baby WILL take what it needs from you no matter what. If your doctor is fine with you losing some while pregnant you might just aim for maintenance calories for the weight your at now knowing that you'll probaby lose while baby grows. Congrats! Babies are such a blessing!
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor. I was 200 start weight with my second and my doctor wanted me to try to lose 10 lbs in the first trimester because I was so over weight. But, it can safely be done.
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Your doctor might have some info for you on what your weight gain should be based on your weight.

I had two babies. In my first pregnancy, I was so on top of everything because I had gestational diabetes. Then for my second pregnancy, which I started weighing 30 pounds less than my first, I didn't and I went a little crazy on my food intake and gained everything back. Now, it might just be that my body wants to get pretty big while pregnant, but if I had to do it again, I'd eat like I had gestational diabetes whether or not I had it. But i wouldn't use MFP, only because pregnancy hormones make me a bit crazy anyways and adding in calorie tracking would have turned me into an insane person
  • ChrisRendon1128
    Options
    xtina315 wrote: »
    I would talk to your doctor. I was 200 start weight with my second and my doctor wanted me to try to lose 10 lbs in the first trimester because I was so over weight. But, it can safely be done.

What was your calorie intake during this time?