I am done looking at the effen scale!

angelicdisgrace
angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
edited September 29 in Health and Weight Loss
I swear the scale is the worse psychological torture device made. I get on it and says I gained two pounds yet my clothes fit me loose. My jeans which I would have to lie on my bed just go right up and zip up without problems. My shirt which used to show my muffin tops cause it was so tight fits me big. Eiter my scale needs replacing or I'm going insane. Arghgg I hate this.

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    GOOD! The scale is evil..and basically useless. Some people use it for motivation but I see it as a hinderance for those that need a lot of motivation.

Read this thread. Its very imformative.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/221081-read-this-am-i-fat-why-body-fat-percentage-is-more-impor
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Scales do have a point but don't depend on them go with how you look and look also
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    Tell me about it, it's driving me nuts. I just know i look leaner and more toned yet i'm gaining weight, again, seems to go up and down, today it's gone up even more though eeekkk!!!
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    The scale is a dirty rotten liar.

I weigh everyday but I'm not consumed by the numbers nor do I let it control my life. I think it's because I realize it is a long road and my goal is a good ways off so I pace myself.
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    I say that you should avoid the scale as much as possible....go by how you feel in your clothes, which, from the sound of things is pretty good! You can always weigh in once a month of every two weeks.

If you have a digital scale it might not hurt to check the batteries, ours went completely crazy when the batteries started to die...apparently my husband lost 28 pounds in a little more than a week but gained 60 some pounds the next week.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Many people worry too much about the scale. If your clothes are fitting better/looser and you are looking better in the mirror than you are making progress. Only weigh yourself once a week, in the morning, naked, after you have peed. This is how you will get the most accurate, most consistent reading.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    yeah its TOM for me and im not going to even attempt to step on the scale until atleast a few days after im done with it.
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Don't forget that fat turns into muscle if you're working out more, and of course muscle weighs more than fat. Try not to be too discouraged, if you feel like your clothes are looser, I'm sure you're doing great! =)
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,301 Member
    You need to pay closer attention to that awesome progress in the way your clothes fit. !!! We (especially women) have been hung up on scale numbers for far too long. Over the long term, it really is our "fitness" that matters- it will serve us in an aesthetic sense as well as help us to sustain our health. Keep trying to lose the fat and bad habits, and the scale will take care of itself. It needs to be a secondary indicator of success. Keep working for a healthier body!!!!
  • jjsleeper
    jjsleeper Posts: 10
    Don't get discouraged!! There are always points in a weight loss journey where you don't lose pounds BUT you begin to lose inches and clothes begin to fit looser. Is your scale on an level, hard surface?? Sometimes this can cause fluctuations in readings. I have Pergo flooring in my bathroom, so I got a free scrap piece of marble from a local retailer and put my scale on it for consistency. Just some things to think about...keep up the good fight!! :-)
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    I have had some very bad experiences with the scale. Have adopted unhealthy eating habits after the scale didn't reflect the effort. For some people the scale is a valuable tool. For many, it's ups and downs can be very destructive to your efforts. You know what you're doing is working because your clothes are looser. So, why not use your clothes and maybe a tape measure as your main tool and weigh in only occasionally? (ie. once a month?) Whatever you decide, remember there's no one size fits all solution. Do whatever is going to get you best results AND be healthiest for you.
  • bmoore4u
    bmoore4u Posts: 7
    Would you rather look and feel good, or see numbers? Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so the scale may not go down because during your workouts you're building muscle. Congrats on losing the inches! It's always nice to fit in to an old pair of jeans that you think you'll never get back in to! During your workouts concentrate on staying in your happy fat burning zone (60-70%) of your maximum heart rate (220-age divided by 60/70%). This will burn fat instead of just working your heart and other muscles. You will see the numbers start to drop in a short time. Also make sure you're eating right. Don't look at the scale right after working out or in the middle of the day too because at that point you're retaining water and will appear heavier on the scale.
    Hope that helps!

Beth:wink:
  • Enp1
    Enp1 Posts: 10 Member
    it drives me insane i have weighed the same for the last 2-3 weeks and yet everyone around me is noticing the difference in how i look. I have started to too. My clothes are getting looser my fiance has even commented on how i look. the scale frustrates me because i feel better look better but the numbers arent changing ugh ive even thought about lowering my calorie goal
  • shelld70
    shelld70 Posts: 106
    I know what you mean. I am a scale addict, myself. But keep going. Don't let the numbers discourage you. You can do this!:happy:
  • angelicdisgrace
    I'm glad I'm not alone in the way I feel. Thanks for the encouraging words. I will check the batteries on my scale though and see if maybe that's what might be the problem.
  • posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    I don't think the scale captures all your hard work, doesn't say if you have more muscle than fat on your body; doesn't capture if you have lost inches... i leave the scale alone unless i go to the doctor's office.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Don't forget that fat turns into muscle if you're working out more, and of course muscle weighs more than fat.

Fat does not and can not turn into muscle. Never has, never will. You lose fat by burning it through exercise and daily activities. You gain muscle by building it through exercise and daily activities.

Muscle and fat weigh the same, one pound of fat and one pound of muscle both weigh one pound. Muscle is denser than fat so one pound of muscle is a smaller volume than one pound of fat. That is why you can have your weight stay the same yet your clothes are looser. Because the same weight in muscle is more compact.
  • angelicdisgrace
    I think my new approach is to measure myself every Sunday. Maybe then I would not fixate on the numbers. I am also going to buy myself a pant size smaller. That can be my gauge also.
This discussion has been closed.