How do you combat weed-related hunger (ie, the munchies)?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Do you get the same amount of munchies if you eat it rather than smoke it? I gave some pot fudge to someone with chronic insomnia and she slept great, no munchies.
  • _Fluff
    _Fluff Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Do you get the same amount of munchies if you eat it rather than smoke it? I gave some pot fudge to someone with chronic insomnia and she slept great, no munchies.

Nope, I don't really get munchies from edibles, it just always takes like four hours for edibles to hit me, and I want something a little faster than that.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Can we just make this the 4/20 appreciation thread?

2282421-sno1_1_.jpg
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    _Fluff wrote: »
    (Please don't suggest 'quit weed!', because Ambien and Lunesta made me sleep-walk, and I'd much rather be red-eyed and fat than fall downstairs in my sleep again.)

There are other methods of fighting insomnia that don't include drugs, either of the prescription or the recreational kind. I'm not doubting you suffer from serious insomnia, but understand your use of marijuana has likely created a dependency and addiction for you. I know a lot of smokers don't consider themselves addicted or think it is "as bad" as other things. And while I don't think it's any worse than a glass of wine every night which plenty of people do, just be aware of your possible dependency on it and take care of yourself.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I don't really get the munchies, either. I used to when I was younger, but I think it's because I expected to get them, if that makes any sense.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    About fifteen years ago I lost a lot of weight and I was doing A LOT of weed. Red grapes and watermelon. I had them washed/cut and ready to go.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I discovered that if I just don't start eating, then I'm good. BUT, if I eat even one thing, I'm screwed on calories for the rest of the day. Also, I keep sunflower seeds in the house to snack on, not bad except the sodium.
  • _Fluff
    Options
    _Fluff wrote: »
    (Please don't suggest 'quit weed!', because Ambien and Lunesta made me sleep-walk, and I'd much rather be red-eyed and fat than fall downstairs in my sleep again.)

There are other methods of fighting insomnia that don't include drugs, either of the prescription or the recreational kind. I'm not doubting you suffer from serious insomnia, but understand your use of marijuana has likely created a dependency and addiction for you. I know a lot of smokers don't consider themselves addicted or think it is "as bad" as other things. And while I don't think it's any worse than a glass of wine every night which plenty of people do, just be aware of your possible dependency on it and take care of yourself.

Unfortunately, I'm very aware of numerous other insomnia fighting techniques. I was diagnosed with insomnia as a child, and have tried literally dozens of options. I've seen doctors, therapists, psychiatrists, done sleep studies, and have tried everything from meditation to polyphasic sleep. Weed works for me, so I'm sticking with it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Better weed?
  • _Fluff
    Options
    Better weed?

Like what? I'm currently using an indica called Romulan, THC-21.2% CBD- 0.20%. If you know of something better for sleep, I am totally open to suggestions:)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    mulecanter wrote: »
    If I had insomnia, migraines and a drug habit I'd address those and not worry so much about hunger pangs. Sorry to be harsh.

A drug habit? You mean the marijuana?
  • _Fluff
    Options
    If I had insomnia, migraines and a drug habit I'd address those and not worry so much about hunger pangs. Sorry to be harsh.

Oh, I doubt you're particularly sorry. Why be mealy-mouthed? It's only the internet.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options

I'd call ambien a drug habit. Marijuana, on the other hand, Id call a non-invasive way to deal with the migraines and insomnia.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

Not the person you are replying to...

But yes marijuana is a drug. I can't make a true assessment based on her post whether she is truly dependent on it or not, but if she feels she "has" to have it in order to sleep every night, seems likely. I'm not sure why its becoming legal in several states made people suddenly question whether people use it as a crutch or not, and to what degree they should worry about that. Same as anyone who uses tobacco, caffeine or alcohol to the point of dependency. If someone posted that they have to drink a glass of wine every night or they can't relax and find themselves very anxious and it's the only way they can deal with their anxiety disorder but it was also causing them to overeat...would we not acknowledge that person has a dependence on alcohol? Do you think it would be a bunch of people suggesting they switch to lower calorie hard liquor instead? I'm not advising she cut it cold turkey, just that she acknowledge her dependence on it so it doesn't become a problem in other ways. I had friends in high school who smoked pot and were certain they were not "addicted" but who were smart enough to go to college but never did as a result of their dependency on the drug and how it impacted the rest of their lives. I suppose that's considered pretty mild compared to what other drug users go through, but it's still a consequence.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Sounds like you need a smoke:)
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

But yes marijuana is a drug. I can't make a true assessment based on her post whether she is truly dependent on it or not, but if she feels she "has" to have it in order to sleep every night, seems likely. I'm not sure why its becoming legal in several states made people suddenly question whether people use it as a crutch or not, and to what degree they should worry about that. Same as anyone who uses tobacco, caffeine or alcohol to the point of dependency. If someone posted that they have to drink a glass of wine every night or they can't relax and find themselves very anxious and it's the only way they can deal with their anxiety disorder but it was also causing them to overeat...would we not acknowledge that person has a dependence on alcohol? Do you think it would be a bunch of people suggesting they switch to lower calorie hard liquor instead? I'm not advising she cut it cold turkey, just that she acknowledge her dependence on it so it doesn't become a problem in other ways. I had friends in high school who smoked pot and were certain they were not "addicted" but who were smart enough to go to college but never did as a result of their dependency on the drug and how it impacted the rest of their lives. I suppose that's considered pretty mild compared to what other drug users go through, but it's still a consequence.

Ambien and other insomnia medications are 'drugs' as well, and I've seen some scary *kitten* come out of Ambien...
  • Christina_3192
    Christina_3192 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have found that drinking a lot of water while I smoke helps curb my munchies. I also try to save a lot of my calories for the evening.

Another thing I do is consciously ask "am I reeeeeallly hungry? Or just really high?"
    Usually it's the second.

I have a chopped off finger, and several mental illnesses that I use cannabis for. Definitely has helped me immensely! The munchies though. Ughhhhhhh killed my waist line.

Marijuana to me is always better than a pharmaceutical with a ton of side effects.

Oooh! Also, sometimes I make sure to eat super slowly so I don't scarf more down than my stomach can handle.

Agh hope this helped.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited April 2016
    Options

All that from an internet post. Impressive.

Would daily ambient "better"? Would daily Xanax be "better"?
This discussion has been closed.