How do you combat weed-related hunger (ie, the munchies)?

Options

Replies

• Christina_3192
    Christina_3192 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just remembered. It may sound weird but guided meditation to help curb cravings for whatever reason has helped me too. I googled weight loss hypnosis and basically it's just meditating to positive affirmations of you're going to choose healthier *kitten*.

Which as with all meditation/hypnosis only works if you believe it. Lmao I am so desperate for munchie control I am willing to believe guided meditation worked! I listen to it every now and then when I start munching too many nights in a row.
  • _Fluff
    _Fluff Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have found that drinking a lot of water while I smoke helps curb my munchies. I also try to save a lot of my calories for the evening.

Another thing I do is consciously ask "am I reeeeeallly hungry? Or just really high?"
    Usually it's the second.

I have a chopped off finger, and several mental illnesses that I use cannabis for. Definitely has helped me immensely! The munchies though. Ughhhhhhh killed my waist line.

Marijuana to me is always better than a pharmaceutical with a ton of side effects.

Oooh! Also, sometimes I make sure to eat super slowly so I don't scarf more down than my stomach can handle.

Agh hope this helped.

It did help, thanks! I'll try chugging a few glasses of water before bed tonight. Here's hoping I'm not up all night peeing:D
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Smoke a cigarette...

Actually don't. But I think it seriously depends on what you are smoking.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    mulecanter wrote: »
    If I had insomnia, migraines and a drug habit I'd address those and not worry so much about hunger pangs. Sorry to be harsh.

A drug habit? You mean the marijuana?

Not the person you are replying to...

But yes marijuana is a drug. I can't make a true assessment based on her post whether she is truly dependent on it or not, but if she feels she "has" to have it in order to sleep every night, seems likely. I'm not sure why its becoming legal in several states made people suddenly question whether people use it as a crutch or not, and to what degree they should worry about that. Same as anyone who uses tobacco, caffeine or alcohol to the point of dependency. If someone posted that they have to drink a glass of wine every night or they can't relax and find themselves very anxious and it's the only way they can deal with their anxiety disorder but it was also causing them to overeat...would we not acknowledge that person has a dependence on alcohol? Do you think it would be a bunch of people suggesting they switch to lower calorie hard liquor instead? I'm not advising she cut it cold turkey, just that she acknowledge her dependence on it so it doesn't become a problem in other ways. I had friends in high school who smoked pot and were certain they were not "addicted" but who were smart enough to go to college but never did as a result of their dependency on the drug and how it impacted the rest of their lives. I suppose that's considered pretty mild compared to what other drug users go through, but it's still a consequence.
    All that from an internet post. Impressive.

Would daily ambient "better"? Would daily Xanax be "better"?

Exactly. People use all kinds of drugs for all kinds of reasons. Marijuana is becoming legal in places because it has a lot of very valid medical uses. It also has some fun, relaxing recreational uses. My daughter takes medicine daily for asthma. You could say she is dependent on it. She has to have it in order to breath easily. It isn't the same as someone who is addicted to heroin, but it is a drug that she takes daily and she will continue to take it. If the OP is dependent on marijuana to help with her insomnia then I personally don't see any problem with that. She could quit it cold turkey if she wanted and she wouldn't have the same type of physical issues as someone trying to quit heroin, tobacco or even caffeine. But she would still have the problems related to her insomnia and I don't know that she has a better option for that. Ambien and drugs like that are much more dangerous and many are habit forming.
  • pmet
    pmet Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Keep a stockpile of sliced up fresh fruits and veggies in the fridge, and snack away!

I like to make pumpkin mousse by mixing canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling), a little sweetener (sugar, honey, agave, stevia or whatever you like), some nutmeg and cinnamon, and a dash of cream or milk. Sometimes I top it off with homemade fresh whipped cream (put whipping cream in a jar with a splash of vanilla and sugar and shake until it firms up). Super yummy and filling!

Another tactic is to keep yourself busy doing other stuff after you smoke. Coloring books are fun. :smile:
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I have found that drinking a lot of water while I smoke helps curb my munchies. I also try to save a lot of my calories for the evening.

Another thing I do is consciously ask "am I reeeeeallly hungry? Or just really high?"
    Usually it's the second.

I have a chopped off finger, and several mental illnesses that I use cannabis for. Definitely has helped me immensely! The munchies though. Ughhhhhhh killed my waist line.

Marijuana to me is always better than a pharmaceutical with a ton of side effects.

Oooh! Also, sometimes I make sure to eat super slowly so I don't scarf more down than my stomach can handle.

Agh hope this helped.

Chopping off a finger is quite an extreme way to lose a bit of weight.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I never could curb the weed munchies and found that I also got munchies using CBD oil. Sad story.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Id pick weed over Ambien if I couldnt sleep- no question.
    Ambien is a far worse "drug".
  • _Fluff
    Options
    pmet wrote: »
    Keep a stockpile of sliced up fresh fruits and veggies in the fridge, and snack away!

I like to make pumpkin mousse by mixing canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling), a little sweetener (sugar, honey, agave, stevia or whatever you like), some nutmeg and cinnamon, and a dash of cream or milk. Sometimes I top it off with homemade fresh whipped cream (put whipping cream in a jar with a splash of vanilla and sugar and shake until it firms up). Super yummy and filling!

Another tactic is to keep yourself busy doing other stuff after you smoke. Coloring books are fun. :smile:

That mousse sounds perfect! Do you know if it keeps for a few days in the fridge, or does the texture go all weird after a day or so?
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    _Fluff wrote: »
    Better weed?

Like what? I'm currently using an indica called Romulan, THC-21.2% CBD- 0.20%. If you know of something better for sleep, I am totally open to suggestions:)

That right there is your problem doll! You need higher CBD and much much lower THC.
  • _Fluff
    Options
    MandaB9780 wrote: »
    Better weed?

Like what? I'm currently using an indica called Romulan, THC-21.2% CBD- 0.20%. If you know of something better for sleep, I am totally open to suggestions:)

That right there is your problem doll! You need higher CBD and much much lower THC.

I'm headed to the dispensary this evening to see if they have anything with high CBD. Someone else in the comments linked to a CBD extract that looks really promising, too.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I've never tried weed, so this may or may not be helpful. Does it make you feel lazy? If so, try to put higher calorie foods away somewhere where you would be too lazy to reach for it, like way at the back of the fridge or high up in the corner of a cupboard and keep the lower calorie stuff around for easy reach. Water and tea are great. Chamomile (if you like it) would also help relax you for sleep.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    If I had insomnia, migraines and a drug habit I'd address those and not worry so much about hunger pangs. Sorry to be harsh.

I am not a pot smoker but support those who are using it to treat insomnia. I'd recommend it over Ambien any day.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I've found that some strains of weed have less of a 'munchies' effect on me, maybe you can try some different kinds?

I get the munchies pretty bad also. I've found that if I find something else to engage my senses in other ways I can beat it, like listening intently to music, drawing, or even playing video games. I also like to have things like frozen berries, carrots, or sugar-free jelly on hand if I want to munch on something, though I often find that it's easier if I just don't start eating in the first place after smoking because it's easier for me to not start than to stop once I've started!
  • lemonlionheart
    Options

How would you address chronic migraines then? Meditation and deep breathing? Drugs can be helpful to a lot of people with a lot of conditions, and personally I'd rather smoke (or ingest, vape, whatever) weed than pop a bunch of pills.
  • Christina_3192
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

Usually it's the second.

Agh hope this helped.

Chopping off a finger is quite an extreme way to lose a bit of weight.

Lmao!! Right? ;)
    But for reals....don't put your hand in a bread slicer....it isn't a good time. >.<

• Christina_3192
    Options

Usually it's the second.

Agh hope this helped.

It did help, thanks! I'll try chugging a few glasses of water before bed tonight. Here's hoping I'm not up all night peeing:D

Yay! Good luck!!! I find I can't usually make it through the night BUT I am down to one 3 am bathroom trip which coincides with the boyfriend coming to bed so it works out ^_^
  • lemonlionheart
    Options

A drug habit? You mean the marijuana?

Not the person you are replying to...

But yes marijuana is a drug. I can't make a true assessment based on her post whether she is truly dependent on it or not, but if she feels she "has" to have it in order to sleep every night, seems likely. I'm not sure why its becoming legal in several states made people suddenly question whether people use it as a crutch or not, and to what degree they should worry about that. Same as anyone who uses tobacco, caffeine or alcohol to the point of dependency. If someone posted that they have to drink a glass of wine every night or they can't relax and find themselves very anxious and it's the only way they can deal with their anxiety disorder but it was also causing them to overeat...would we not acknowledge that person has a dependence on alcohol? Do you think it would be a bunch of people suggesting they switch to lower calorie hard liquor instead? I'm not advising she cut it cold turkey, just that she acknowledge her dependence on it so it doesn't become a problem in other ways. I had friends in high school who smoked pot and were certain they were not "addicted" but who were smart enough to go to college but never did as a result of their dependency on the drug and how it impacted the rest of their lives. I suppose that's considered pretty mild compared to what other drug users go through, but it's still a consequence.

I was clinically depressed for a year and was prescribed the drug Lexapro. I needed it to function, so you could say I was 'dependent' on it. It was technically a 'crutch' I used to get out of bed every morning, go to therapy, complete my studies. Was that a 'problem', too?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Food environment. If you're going to have snacky high calorie things around, maybe be sure they are portioned out already so that when you go to log, you are being mindful and not just reaching in the box and guessing. Don't keep munchy stuff out on the kitchen table, instead keep a fruit bowl there. Keep your refrigerator loaded with lots of fruit and veg. I pretty much have to do this just to lose, maintain, and even when I'm gaining, just to keep things in control.
This discussion has been closed.