Coffee...

Options
So is plain black coffee good for you or not. So many dang articles saying different things. So what's the scoop? At least I know for sure that sex is good for you. If they ever say its bad I am checking out!

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    All in moderation (even sex). 4 (8oz.) cups is generally considered fine unless you have other medical issues.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    If you drink it until your heart explodes from caffeine, it's bad. A few cups a day: fine.
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Coffee is safe and healthy / good for you providing you're an adult in relatively decent health.
    up to 400mg caffeine / day has been proven time and time again to have no bad or adverse health effects over a life time.
    For children / teenagers, caffeine isn't really recommended or at least a lower dose and used less frequently, as some ways it acts can be detrimental to brain development. (The same goes for pregnant women), but again - in lower doses or less frequently, its still not a big deal.
    1) increases energy availability,
    2) increases daily energy expenditure,
    3) decreases fatigue,
    4) decreases the sense of effort associated with physical activity,
    5) enhances physical performance,
    6) enhances motor performance,
    7) enhances cognitive performance,
    8) increases alertness, wakefulness, and feelings of "energy,"
    9) decreases mental fatigue,
    10) quickens reactions,
    11) increases the accuracy of reactions,
    12) increases the ability to concentrate and focus attention,
    13) enhances short-term memory,
    14) increases the ability to solve problems requiring reasoning,
    15) increases the ability to make correct decisions,
    16) enhances cognitive functioning capabilities and neuromuscular coordination, and
    17) in otherwise healthy non-pregnant adults is safe.

But it is also an addiction / an addictive substance. And the majority of adults that drink coffee / use caffeine usually need 1-3 cups after waking up even to feel somewhat "normal", no matter how healthy their general diet is and how much sleep they get , they tend to feel sluggish or tired until they have enough coffee.

It could take 1-2 weeks of complete abstinence from caffeine (coffee, energy drinks, cola drinks, and even some teas), to get over the "withdrawal" like symptoms of it, and to start feeling normal energy levels without the use of it.
    Up to 4-6 weeks of abstinence from it to completely reduce tolerance to caffeine to nil. Which then very little caffeine will have really great effects on energy, mood, alertness, and performance when you start using it again.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yeah i've heard a lot recently about coffee actually being quite good for you, as long as you don't overdo it - but they generally say that for most things don't they!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read says black coffee can be good for you. My doctor agrees. I don't drink black though and freely admit to being an addict lol
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Spyer116 wrote: »
    Coffee is safe and healthy / good for you providing you're an adult in relatively decent health.
    up to 400mg caffeine / day has been proven time and time again to have no bad or adverse health effects over a life time.
    For children / teenagers, caffeine isn't really recommended or at least a lower dose and used less frequently, as some ways it acts can be detrimental to brain development. (The same goes for pregnant women), but again - in lower doses or less frequently, its still not a big deal.
    1) increases energy availability,
    2) increases daily energy expenditure,
    3) decreases fatigue,
    4) decreases the sense of effort associated with physical activity,
    5) enhances physical performance,
    6) enhances motor performance,
    7) enhances cognitive performance,
    8) increases alertness, wakefulness, and feelings of "energy,"
    9) decreases mental fatigue,
    10) quickens reactions,
    11) increases the accuracy of reactions,
    12) increases the ability to concentrate and focus attention,
    13) enhances short-term memory,
    14) increases the ability to solve problems requiring reasoning,
    15) increases the ability to make correct decisions,
    16) enhances cognitive functioning capabilities and neuromuscular coordination, and
    17) in otherwise healthy non-pregnant adults is safe.

But it is also an addiction / an addictive substance. And the majority of adults that drink coffee / use caffeine usually need 1-3 cups after waking up even to feel somewhat "normal", no matter how healthy their general diet is and how much sleep they get , they tend to feel sluggish or tired until they have enough coffee.

It could take 1-2 weeks of complete abstinence from caffeine (coffee, energy drinks, cola drinks, and even some teas), to get over the "withdrawal" like symptoms of it, and to start feeling normal energy levels without the use of it.
    Up to 4-6 weeks of abstinence from it to completely reduce tolerance to caffeine to nil. Which then very little caffeine will have really great effects on energy, mood, alertness, and performance when you start using it again.

I must really be addicted then. Because it takes a minimum of 32oz of Extra Bold coffee to wake me up every morning even if I've had 7 hours of sleep. :#