Doing keto the wrong way, how long until it bites me?

Options
Hello,

Foregoing the personality dump and just getting to the point:

My daily keto as it stands now equals a pack of smokes, maybe half a dozen cups of bad instant coffee with whole milk, a can or two of tuna with chunks of dolphin for variety, six or more eggs, half a pound of luncheon meat, and an additional source of protein: may it be sausages, soy, or ground meat by-products.

I saw some veggies looking at me accusingly in the fridge when I came home, but I'm used to their stare by now. They can rot in there for all I care.

Eggs, cans and packs are easy to count. Macro distribution is good, but since I'm literally scared of the food I eat, totals are quite low for my needs.

I respond to lo carb very well, but doing it right is all consuming. Right now, with two startups taking all my time and money, and a broken heart eating away at my sleep, it is what it is.

Ten years ago I wouldn't have given this another thought, but I'm middle aged now.

The only deficiency I'm not setting up here is sodium.

Anyone past the age of immortality here who's gone the end justifies the means way when it comes to nutrition. And how long did you manage until chronic stuff started to pop up?

It's not all bad though. I vacuum the salad buffet maybe twice a week, and overall I do care about my well-being. I squint my eyes when I use an angle grinder, and just the other day I didn't go up a ladder to use a chain saw.

Replies

• brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    You're asking low long until you malnourish yourself so severally that it impacts your daily life? Hard to say, definitely several weeks.

In the end you decide. If you want a body that does what it's supposed to do for many years to come you'll need to evaluate your choices.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    It's not the keto you need to worry about it's the cigarettes. Ditch the cigarettes first, maintain a healthy weight second, exercise if you're sedentary and once you have those things under control then it's makes sense to worry about the quality of your diet. Processed meats and a lack of vegetables are not your biggest health concerns, in my opinion.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure what it is you're asking...
  • jonthemusse
    jonthemusse Posts: 106 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Cigarettes come and go. They stay for now. I'm about as far from sedentary as the dictionary allows, but the 80 % of the time I'm not making course corrections I count bread in loaves, chocolate in bars, porridge in pots.., you get the picture.

I didn't mean to go this extreme, I have no experience in this kind of diet. Always shunned away from Atkins type stuff, felt too much. More of a paleo type guy, but way too much work ATM.

What you, Alabaster, are saying that extremely low veggie contents and crap protein with near 100% saturated fat isn't necessarily an acute issue?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    What you, Alabaster, are saying that for me, extremely low veggie contents and crap protein with near 100% saturated fat isn't necessarily an acute issue?

Yes. Quitting smoking and a healthy weight are more important -- in my opinion. And your diet isn't completely devoid of nutrition, btw. Eggs, milk, meat and vegetables a couple times a week is better than a lot of people eat. Some nuts and seeds might be a good, painless addition to your keto diet though.
  • jonthemusse
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I agree on both smoking and healthy weight. My weight issue is more vanity rather than a health risk. I cannot weight less than 200 lbs without ribs poking out, now at about 250.

The problem is my intense reaction to dropping out of keto. I have absolutely no patience for dealing with either the following three days of Ben&Jerry nightmares and daydreams, nor the effort involved in walking the fence with higher carb intake.

I think what I'm trying to find out, as much as I appreciate the reminders on dangers of smoking, the minimum amount of things to add for what I eat to at least resemble a healthy human diet. Food is just fuel for me. I can (and prefer) munching on the same stuff day in day out.

Is there some such thread or post somewhere in here perhaps? I didn't find by searching "how to eat keto and stay healthy for people who don't give a toss."
  • Christine_72
    Options
  • jonthemusse
    Options
    aeb, organic chemistry is a science, biochemistry is a bit murkier science, nutrition is... alchemy at best, pure politics at worst. We're going to have to wait another 20 years to get some serious demographic data of ingested cholesterol impact on life expectancy, and even then causality will be fuddled as usual. By then, we'll be eating seaweed and crickets like the rest of the world. This fat is good stuff has hit the media only recently in a big way, even though there are studies decades old that state this.

In the end it boils down to: don't grow too tall, starve a little, and work physically hard for your food to live a long healthy life. Doesn't seem to matter what you eat. Now, that's hard if you're not unlucky enough to be born into it.

I shall now go to the correct forum.
  • Parfumista
    Parfumista Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Keto means high fat and appropriate protein, your diet sounds more like high protein. Skip the milk and try some coconut or MCT oil in your coffee, it's not as bad as it sounds.
    I hope you get better soon, because the overall tone of your post sounds like you don't care about yourself very much right now.
  • jonthemusse
    Options
    Processed meats tend to 2:1 fat/protein. Perfect. Whole milk is almost perfect balance of macros for a growing man, but coconut milk I've been dabbling with as a substitute for cream. Thank you for reminding me of that, actually. And the well wishing. Unwarranted though, just the internet filtering most of me out. I don't know what my internet forum personality is; could be snarky pessimist. Hope not. Very new.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Processed meats tend to 2:1 fat/protein. Perfect. Whole milk is almost perfect balance of macros for a growing man, but coconut milk I've been dabbling with as a substitute for cream. Thank you for reminding me of that, actually. And the well wishing. Unwarranted though, just the internet filtering most of me out. I don't know what my internet forum personality is; could be snarky pessimist. Hope not. Very new.

Not sure, you are are all over the place! Welcome to MFP, where we are all over the place!!
  • jonthemusse
    Options
    It's funny, I got curios and read through my posts, and all I saw was perky old me. Never mind, I'm difficult to read in real life too, I've been told, and shouted at.

I am looking forward to meeting these all over the place people.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Lol I like your sense of humour - I share a few "habits" with you... at first my diet mainly consisted of coffee with cream and cigarettes..oh yes and Pepsi Max..There are a lot of people who are carnivore only and barely ever touch a vegetable. Whilst it's not overly recommended in the mainstream, some of these people are very happy with the way they eat and have done so for years. You should do a little search on it. You may be a bit nutrient deficient in places, but unless you are anal about macros.. usually everyone is a little deficient in something. I would recommend you go on to Cronometer.com.. write in what you eat on a usual day and just have a look at what you're missing out on nutrient wise. Even if you do nothing about it whatsoever - you will at least be more enlightened!
    Alternatively... buy a multi-vitamin?! ;)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with snarky pessimism. If your looking for the cesspool, head over to chit chat. :laugh:

Welcome. Sounds like you are going through a lot right now. A mental tidy is valuable.
  • jonthemusse
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think I prefer a thin film of muck smeared over the front of the house. I just realised that this community is so large this might be more like a chat than a posting media, especially with injected mild trolling (cigarettes, took a while to get past them, wont bring the subject up again).

It's amazing how well established the fear of not eating your greens, not eating the pet grains of your particular regional political economy, and staying away from meat is. I am reasonably well educated, and naturally suspicious of authoritarian statements, but all it took was a few weeks of no lettuce, or Tesco's supermultigrain to post in an anonymous forum to seek peer assurance that I'm not going to drop dead immediately from colon cancer, or vitamin phi deficiency. Could be just me, but I doubt it.

When I was good, I used to drink raw cod liver oil straight from the bottle for calories. I think I can manage the budget for some multivitamins.

This is good. All stuff that I can google, or that I know, but still strangely reassuring to be sternly pointed out by strangers.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Just be sure to pay attention to your health and nutrition now, so it doesn't come back to bite you in the *kitten* in the future..
    So many people don't think about living healthy when they are young...
  • jonthemusse
    Options
    Ma'am, I'm three years younger than you. I promise I'll do my almost that my kitten will be unbitten in 2020.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    LOL just so you know MFP changes all curse words to "kitten"