How do you eat your veggies?

Options
i am having a really hard time getting my veggies in...I don't really enjoy eating them but it's probably because i don't know of any ways to make them yummier and I always eat them straight from a bag/can/plain. How do you eat your veggies? Just looking for some new ideas :)

Replies

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Stir fry. There are a gazillion different sauces.

pic34NrC6.jpg

Bake them with mushroom cream, chicken cream, whatever creams, along with your favorite carbs, protiens, topped with different cheese.

exps38333_TH1191752D8.jpg

Fry
    23JPFLEX1-articleLarge.jpg
  • nostressma
    nostressma Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In a smoothie
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Go to skinnytaste and filter to vegetarian. There are lots of ways to cook veggies.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I masticate them.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Another stir fry lover here-I eat 99% of my veggies in them (I buy bags of frozen ones, usually the California blend or Stirfry mix ones). My go to one (that I eat 3-4 times a week), is a serving of instant white rice, 2 servings of the veggies, a can of chicken and then Sweet Baby Ray's sweet n' sour sauce. Love this combination!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Roasted is good, sauteed is good, in a soup, in a stirfry, in a homemade sauce for pasta.

I really recommend getting a good cookbook for vegetables -- I like Barbara Kafka's Vegetable Love and an old classic Greene on Greens (not just about greens). A website with lots of delicious recipes involving vegetables is 101cookbooks. Seasonal cookbooks or wandering around a farmers market (when they are open where you are) can also be inspiring.
  • ivylaurenolsen
    ivylaurenolsen Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys are awesome, thank you so much! ❤️
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Start with fresh veggies, not frozen. Put a small amount of oil (I like avocado) in a wok or pan and begin with sliced onions or leeks on a medium heat, stir for a few minutes then add carrots and let those get a little cooked. Add as many veggies as you want adding the ones that take the shortest cooking time last. Keep stirring and when it looks like everything is getting done add a little light tamari or soy sauce and a tiny bit of sesame oil.......=heaven.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    Options
    I eat my veggies steamed or raw. And plain because I don't like sauces and things.
  • Jelenajelenajelenajelena
    Options
    Try them in the oven cut up like fries and throw just a little olive oil and tons of seasoning on there. I especially like Brussel sprouts in the oven with sweet potatoes, onions, broccoli, I mean any and all veggies really
  • hallsm1
    hallsm1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My favs...

Roasted asparagus sprayed with cooking spray and sprinkled with garlic salt
    Roasted sweet potatoes, onions, zucchini and mushrooms coated lightly in oil and seasoned with salt and pepper
    Spiraled zucchini instead of pasta for spaghetti
    Breakfast hash - zucchini, potatoes, peppers, onions, mushrooms, broccoli and smoked turkey sausage with over easy eggs on top
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Had steamed brussels sprouts with lemon pepper grinder and salt a few nights in a row.

My new favorite meal is potatoes sliced and fried in some oil until brown, then add onion and Italian sausage link cut into chunks. Amazing. I've been eating it in the office and everyone drools when they walk by.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I get real small, like tiny then I chase the raw ones around first, they're fresh, raw and seldom anything on them. Then sneak over to the grilled ones, asparagus is great on the grill! Little olive oil and tiny amount of salt. Then on to leisurely feast on all the roasted ones; roots are great roasted pick a bunch carrots, beets, purple onion just mix them up. Of course anything is great roasted; wife thought she didn't like Brussels sprouts until I melted some parmesan cheese on it. Start by getting real small.☺
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Raw fresh vegetables. Plain. In salads. With dip. With cottage cheese. On sandwiches or in wraps.
    Cooked vegetables. Roasted is good. Grilled is good. Stir fry is good. In soups, pasta sauce, casseroles. Zoodles. Mashed. On pizza.
    I really don't like canned vegetables except canned tomato so I buy fresh or frozen.
    Pinterest is good for finding food ideas.
    http://www.ohsheglows.com
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/1116/fruits-and-vegetables/
  • RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I throw veggies into just about everything. For my meatloaf, I do one pound ground turkey and about one pound of a variety of veggies. It's colorful, filling, and low calorie. Made beef stew tonight and threw in cut up russet potatoes, matchstick carrots, a cup of diced radishes and a carton of sliced mushrooms. Even my 5 year old eats it!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I use a fork but sometimes I use chopsticks or even just my fingers. I place some in my mouth then chew and swallow. I very rarely drink them and never with a straw.

I prepare them all sorts of ways. In soup, roasted with herbs, in the crock pot with some chicken or beef, in a salad, on a sandwich or wrap, raw.... so many different ways to prepare them.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    stirfry or roasted. instead of coating them in olive oil,i use just one teaspoon and plenty of balsamic vinegar.
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Curried or raw! I also love stir fry veggies. I am Indian so most of my vegetables are cooked in onion and tomato base flavoured with turmeric, salt and chilli powder + 1 glass of water
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes baked
    Roasted veggies- zucchini, aubergine tomatoes onions and garlic
    Roast root veggies with rosemary
    On pizza
    In tomato sauces ( carrot celery zucchini)
    Sautéed spinach with garlic
    Beans ( fine green) and cauliflower in curries
    Cauliflower and broccoli cheese( like mc n cheese with or without the pasta)
    Roast or jacket potatoes
    Salads with sundried tomatoes
    Stuffed vegetables with rice
    Zucchini boats
    Bolognaise marrows/ squash
    Zoodles
    Soups - my fav is watercress or tomato
    Veg fritters or tempura or pakoras or samosas
    Cabbage rolls
    Veggie Lasagna or roll ups
    That's some of the things I eat and there are loads more.
    Veggies don't have to be a side dish they can be the main event and I'm a hardcore meateater
    Pinterest has tons of ideas just try one and build on that into your menu for the week.
    Also for quickness still love plain boiled veggies when having a roast x