Raw Broccoli Burns My Tongue -Normal or Am I Allergic?

Options
Hi! I'm just curious if anyone else has this issue. I really want to eat raw broccoli, but every time I do I get this burning sensation on my tongue. Is this normal, or am I possibly allergic? If it's normal, I'll suck it up and keep eating it. However, if it's abnormal, I don't want to make the allergy worse. Thanks for your input! For the record, I don't recall having this reaction when it's cooked.

Replies

• missjessiecakes
    missjessiecakes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would say better safe than sorry. If raw broccoli that hasn't been dipped in anything makes your mouth burn I would avoid. That is how I figured out I was allergic to strawberries. The burning itchy sensation.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    That's not a normal response so I would avoid it. Find another tasty treat.
  • KOLIEW
    KOLIEW Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am having this issue too and am trying to figure it out.
  • Miss_Mabee
    Miss_Mabee Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would say an allergy! My mom gets that with strawberries, my fiance with apples and I get it with pineapple! We can all eat those foods cooked and processed just not raw. Everyone has different sensitivities :)
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an allergy. Possibly oral allergy syndrome (http://acaai.org/allergies/types/food-allergies/types-food-allergy/oral-allergy-syndrome)?

If you're concerned you could always go to an allergist for testing.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    PESTICIDES
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't know how true this is but that happens to one of my coworkers when she eats raw conventionally grown celery but she is able to eat raw organically grown celery without any issues.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Probably allergic.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    get?url=http%3A%2F%2Freactiongif.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2FGIF%2F2014%2F08%2FGIF-Christian-Bale-confused-dafuq-disturbed-incredulous-perplexed-wait-what-confused-wrong-WTF-GIF.gif&key=Ia9bM9yCXmhcFqEmXf54bA
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    necro thread
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    That's really odd-I eat broccoli almost every (literally eating it right now lol), and I've never had this happen. Does your insurance cover the allergy 'scratch' test? If so I'd go in and get it done (it's a pretty quick, painless procedure and you'll find out right then what allergies you have).
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I get that way when I eat raw spinach or cucumbers that aren't peeled. I am fine when I peel the cukes or cook the spinach. I would suggest cooking your broccoli and just pay attention to whether the sensation starts to develop when you eat the cooked veggie.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have Oral Allergy Syndrome that was mentioned. Sounds like it could be that.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Try organic broccoli, if it happens it's the broccoli and you may as well avoid it. It could be that you didn't wash all pesticides off. I have this problem with convention apples and now buy them organic.
  • SassJess81
    SassJess81 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I agree with oral allergy syndrome. I get it with raw pineapple although I can eat cooked as it changes the proteins. I'm allergic to sagebrush pollen which is why.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an allergy. Switch to another treat.