How do you keep strength levels up during deficit?

Options
2»

Replies

• kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of aggressive cutting. If you are going for 2lbs/ week then missing PRs is normal (from my experience)

My thinking is that even though you lose strength and muscle on an aggressive cut, taking 2 steps back and 5 steps forward is more efficient than taking baby-steps.

Regardless, you need to be strategic when doing an aggressive cut. As others have mentioned: card back-loading, nutrient timing and being precise on your macros.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    -Reduce volume, keep intensity/weights same or slightly lower.
    -Lose weight at 1lbs per week. Any more and you might find yourself with increasing strength loss. Eat more if you are losing more than 1lb/week.
    -Carb cycling - consume 40% or more of your daily carb intake in your pre and post work out meals. This will fuel your work outs. Consume more fats and less carbs in your other meals.
    -Creatine monohydrate if you are not taking it already (just 5g a day, every day). Tons of studies regarding this, excellent for pushing the extra 1-2 reps out, very safe, etc. Summary and list of studies here.
    -Eat more and add smart conditioning. Things like HIIT (rowing, kettlebell work, etc.) instead of depriving yourself from calories. I imagine since you are already walking a lot, you just need to eat a little more.

Edit: Regarding creatine: Creatine is the reference compound for power improvement, with numbers from one meta-analysis to assess potency being "Able to increase a 12% improvement in strength to 20% and able to increase a 12% increase in power to 26% following a training regiment using creatine monohydrate". The powder is super cheap and lasts forever. Don't load up, just 5g ever day is sufficient (rest gets pissed out).
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    -Reduce volume, keep intensity/weights same or slightly lower.
    -Lose weight at 1lbs per week. Any more and you might find yourself with increasing strength loss. Eat more if you are losing more than 1lb/week.
    -Carb cycling - consume 40% or more of your daily carb intake in your pre and post work out meals. This will fuel your work outs. Consume more fats and less carbs in your other meals.
    -Creatine monohydrate if you are not taking it already (just 5g a day, every day). Tons of studies regarding this, excellent for pushing the extra 1-2 reps out, very safe, etc. Summary and list of studies here.
    -Eat more and add smart conditioning. Things like HIIT (rowing, kettlebell work, etc.) instead of depriving yourself from calories. I imagine since you are already walking a lot, you just need to eat a little more.

Edit: Regarding creatine: Creatine is the reference compound for power improvement, with numbers from one meta-analysis to assess potency being "Able to increase a 12% improvement in strength to 20% and able to increase a 12% increase in power to 26% following a training regiment using creatine monohydrate". The powder is super cheap and lasts forever. Don't load up, just 5g ever day is sufficient (rest gets pissed out).

I don't know what carb cycling is but my last meal is at 6 pm and then I get up 5.30 am workout and then breakfast at around 10 am -so basically working out in fasted state which worked fine first couple of months when I was even able to hit PRs.

I do drink protein shake at around 8 am with Quaker bar at same time. So 120 cals is protein shake and 180 cals is the bar.

I do take creatine 5 days a week-I don't take it on Sat-Sun because I thought what's the point since I'm not working out and I generally go lower than my 2200 cals target on weekend because well because I don't workout.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    viren19890 wrote: »
    viren19890 wrote: »
    IGbnat24 wrote: »
    How big of a deficit are you eating?
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Are you cutting?
    How fast are you losing weight?

2200 cals a day. Losing around 1.5-2lbs a week. Sometimes I lose nothing at all but inches fall off.

1.5 to 2 pounds a week is likely too aggressive. Dial it back to 1 pound a week.

I can stop my walking which burns around 200 cals a day. I don't eat those back -so if I stop my walks that'll do it.

Don't stop your walking. Walking is great for you. Eat more.

I agree, don't stop walking. Eat more. How much do you have to lose? I am going to say again, it really sounds like your deficit it too big.

I'd like to drop another 10-15 lbs- I've lost 25 lbs so far. From 230 lbs down to 205lb and I think at 190lbs I should be fine aesthetically -I'm hoping because I don't know what I would look like.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Holy man...you are all over thinking it.
  • gataman3000
    gataman3000 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Whey protein and boneless skinless chicken are complete proteins and should be your best friend if you want muscle and a thin waist
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Holy man...you are all over thinking it.
    What do you mean?
    Whey protein and boneless skinless chicken are complete proteins and should be your best friend if you want muscle and a thin waist

I'm vegetarian but I do take Whey protein. 165grams a day