Thai red curry home made

Options
fithunni86
fithunni86 Posts: 14 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Just logged dinner before I make it later and I can't believe my eyes iv never even looked just assumed it was healthy chicken noodles veg and coconut milk! Nope so much fat and calories!
So now wot to do for dinner my other half loves thai red curry but nearly a whole days worth of calories I'm one meal is no good x

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk is high in fat and calories. If you want to cut them, try a light coconut milk instead.
  • fithunni86
    Options
    Yeah think that's the only option and cit back on the amount used wondering if watering a light version down a bit would alter the flavour much trial and error I think x
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Replace the coconut milk with Creme Fraiche. Also if you buy Thai curry paste which has just the spices and no added sugars/fat etc that means the whole dish becomes less calorific - the one I make has 550 cals and thats including the basmati rice (40g)
  • fithunni86
    Options
    Ohh ok amazing looking at it is literally the coconut milk pushing up the fat and calories will try creme fraiche thank u x
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Light coconut milk is the answer. Almost half the calories in it. Train your taste to a more jungle curry taste by watering it out with a little stock and a little extra spice too. Delicious.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    How many cals are we talking OP? I make red curry coconut chicken pretty often and it is about 400 cals/serving, without rice, or 600 with rice. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me for a dinner that has great macros and is delicious!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better wife and I ate it almost every week while we dropped 105 pounds. It's really not too bad.
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    How many cals are we talking OP? I make red curry coconut chicken pretty often and it is about 400 cals/serving, without rice, or 600 with rice. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me for a dinner that has great macros and is delicious!

I agree and so does the scale.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    The creme fraiche I have is just as many calories as coconut milk for the same volume. Personally, I don't like the taste of light coconut milk, so when I eat red curry I just eat the chicken and vegetables and only as much of the curry sauce as sticks to them with a bit of rice. I get plenty of red curry flavor, but keep calories down. Plus, if I want to I can cook more chicken and veg in the leftover curry sauce and make more rice the next day.

Tastes the same as the first time around, and I really, really love red curry so it's a treat for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    For you light coconut milk users - isn't light coconut milk just coconut milk plus water? Rather than paying the same price for less product and more water, couldn't you just use less of full fat coconut milk and add water or stock?

My Tom Ka Gai recipe call for 2 2/3 cups coconut milk; I use one 403 ml (1.7 cups) can and while not as coconutty as from a Thai restaurant, it's fine.

• fithunni86
    Options
    Thanks guys and gals so tonight I had couscous and chicken instead coz I'm running round dropping my daughter places but I'm thinking I will try watering dowm the can I have all just alot less of the sauce still using the normal coconut milk or think I'm so well behaved wen I have treat make that our treat have a good weekend ppl xx
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    How about using coconut milk, just less of it, some water to increase the volume, and then some puréed veg to thicken the sauce?
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I say go ahead & eat it! The fat won't make you fat! It's good for you. I was just in Thailand for 10 days & ate curry everyday! In addition to lo mein, fish balls, sugary chai teas & all sorts of other amazing street foods & still came home having lost 8 lbs! Ever seen an overweight Thai person? Exactly ;)