Looking for website with running burns, including net calories

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,558 Member
I tried searching but can't find it. Someone posted a link to an online calculator for running calorie burns which output the net calories as well. Someone remember this website? Thanks a lot.

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    HRM?
  • yirara
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Assuming you mean a heart rate monitor: a HRM is not useful for estimating calorie burns as HR is not related to calorie expenditure. The results get even worse if one doesn't know his or her maxHR. Plus HR gets influenced by so many things such as temperature, general feeling of that day, my asthma medication raises my HR, yet I doubt I burn more calories.

I'm looking for a very specific website someone posted here once.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    weight x miles run x 0.63
  • LazSommer
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Assuming you mean a heart rate monitor: a HRM is not useful for estimating calorie burns as HR is not related to calorie expenditure. The results get even worse if one doesn't know his or her maxHR. Plus HR gets influenced by so many things such as temperature, general feeling of that day, my asthma medication raises my HR, yet I doubt I burn more calories.

And all of those factors are accounted for by a website estimate?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

@LazSommer
    Running efficiency (assuming level ground - not on the beach or hills!!) is pretty similar from runner to runner so it becomes mass moved over distance multiplied by efficiency ratio. Hence the formula.

@yirara Think it's the Runner's World calculator that most people refer too.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/fitness-calculators/calories-burned-calculator
  • jeremydillon80
    jeremydillon80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@LazSommer
    Running efficiency (assuming level ground - not on the beach or hills!!) is pretty similar from runner to runner so it becomes mass moved over distance multiplied by efficiency ratio. Hence the formula.

How do they factor in pace?
  • jeremydillon80
    jeremydillon80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

@LazSommer

And that was a very stupid question... just went and did it myself. Wow
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

@LazSommer

And that was a very stupid question... just went and did it myself. Wow

ooooh, that gives me loads more calories....
  • LazSommer
    Options

@LazSommer

So you always run on flat ground on a beautiful day with no other factors? I didn't realize fitness occurred in a vacuum.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So you always run on flat ground on a beautiful day with no other factors? I didn't realize fitness occurred in a vacuum.

And HR as a reliable indicator breaks down very quickly in non-controlled conditions.

Distance and mass are good enough for most circumstances.

GPS will help account for vertical elevation changes.
  • yirara
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hmm.. it wasn't that one. It was on a very basic website with lots of white, no big headers and no ads if I remember correctly, with the calculator and results cramped into the top of the website. it also gave net calories, while the runnersworld calculator looks more like gross calories for me. Thus if anyone thinks he can eat more calories: please be careful: BMR is most likely included in this number.
  • yirara
    Options

If these are net calories then the estimate looks probably kind of realistic. Is this equation the same for men and women?
  • kristinann308
    kristinann308 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Think it's the Runner's World calculator that most people refer too.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/fitness-calculators/calories-burned-calculator[/quote]

The runners world calculator was only 5 calories off from what my fitbit logged this morning on my run, so this website seems decent to me!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

The newer Garmins are relatively decent for doing so. There isn't a direct relationship between HR and calories but there is an indirect one that allows for estimation.

@LazSommer

From my understand, until you hit a certain degree of hills, it doesn't play a huge role. I can't remember the grade but obviously if you are running big hills, it will make a difference, but just a varied terrain will pretty much average out.
    The other factors would be very minor.

If these are net calories then the estimate looks probably kind of realistic. Is this equation the same for men and women?

It is net. The source is here.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning

It is for male and female, that won't make a significant difference in calories burned.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

@LazSommer

@LazSommer
    You realise that HR is also affected by many different factors and is very individual?
    This is about estimates so unless you are in a lab environment the best or reasonable estimate is all you can shoot for.

As an example I train on an expensive power meter equipped bike trainer, a fairly empirical measure of energy output produced. The other day I was putting out 200 watts at 150 beats per minute and the guy next to me was producing 240 watts at 130bpm. Similar age and weight but an exceptional cyclist.

HRMs can give reasonable (and usable) estimates but no more than that. Ditto for formulas, power meters etc etc....
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

@LazSommer

@LazSommer
    You realise that HR is also affected by many different factors and is very individual?
    This is about estimates so unless you are in a lab environment the best or reasonable estimate is all you can shoot for.

As an example I train on an expensive power meter equipped bike trainer, a fairly empirical measure of energy output produced. The other day I was putting out 200 watts at 150 beats per minute and the guy next to me was producing 240 watts at 130bpm. Similar age and weight but an exceptional cyclist.

HRMs can give reasonable (and usable) estimates but no more than that. Ditto for formulas, power meters etc etc....

Which is something people like Stryd and RPM2 want. Running power meters should be able to normalize runs for wind, grade, surface, etc. like bike power meters. I'd like to get one, but they are probably a decade from wide adoption.
  • LazSommer
    Options

@LazSommer

@LazSommer

The more you know.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    It is net. The source is here.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning

It is for male and female, that won't make a significant difference in calories burned.

This is the one I always link people to.

Net walking: .3 x lbs x miles = calories
    Net running: .63 x lbs x miles = calories

This is lower than what my HRM gives me and lower than what a lot of people on here post, but I would rather err on the conservative side.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

LOL! No kidding. A HRM is plenty accurate, and surely more so that a website.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

LOL! No kidding. A HRM is plenty accurate, and surely more so that a website.

The website is based on a study where they hooked runners up to equipment to as precisely as possible measure their energy expenditure. It's pretty accurate. Not perfect, there are other factors as mentioned up-thread.

Using an HRM, on the other hand doesn't even give you net cals. At least, I've not seen one that does. And it won't account for cardiac drift - your heart rate starts a steady increase about 5min in that continues throughout the run without any increase in pace or incline. Additionally, If you don't fall in the 'norm' for max HR (>30% of people fall one or more standard deviations outside) and you don't or can't calibrate your HRM then it will be off.

For some people, way off. I'm well outside of the norm for max HR. My HRM (that can't be calibrated) reports that I burn 900+ cals for a 6mi run. I weigh 116-118 lbs and run on pretty level trails. Actual burn for that distance as verified through long-term weight management is a bit over 400 cals. As it happens, the equation referenced earlier and the website hit that number pretty much on the nose.