birthday cake help

Options
hi there! My daughter is having a birthday this weekend and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to keep from eating cake. I LOVE birthday cake but I don't want to blow the whole week. I know I should just say "no" but cake is the drug of my choice and if I could say no I would not be the fatty I am today! Any ideas would be well received.

Teri

120408.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

Replies

• teridene
    teridene Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    hi there! My daughter is having a birthday this weekend and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to keep from eating cake. I LOVE birthday cake but I don't want to blow the whole week. I know I should just say "no" but cake is the drug of my choice and if I could say no I would not be the fatty I am today! Any ideas would be well received.

Teri

120408.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    May not be the healthiest thing, but dangit it's birthday cake.... :tongue:

I say cut a small smidge and enjoy...slooowly. Then, chug water...that's what I do to help with my oversized, gigantic sweet tooth.
  • Periphria
    Periphria Posts: 358
    Options
    I too love birthday cake. Last August for my sons birthday I got him a two slab cake with custard in the middle. DROOL and then over half the people that were suppose to come didn't come. So I couldn't throw out this wonderful cake, so I portioned it all out and froze it. I had a piece of cake every day or so, finally my trainer said " Eat all the cake you can eat in one day and throw out the rest." I didn't listen to her, but I did eventually throw it out. The personal guilt was awful and the cake wasn't so great after while, but I just couldn't waste birthday cake.
    SOOOO........

If you do decide to have some, just commit and then throw the rest away, and workout extra that day. Don't try and work around the system because it just doesn't work. Learn from my mistake and extra pounds.

Good Luck
  • raramacher
    Options
    I agree! Have a small piece and don't feel guilty! Having a small piece of cake will NOT ruin your whole week of hard work!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    do an extra workout so you can have a slice. not a tiny slice. not a smidge. but a full on slice. just one. It's ok if it's not an everyday thing and it fits into your day. :flowerforyou:
  • tmbish82
    Options
    i agree! don't deny yourself some birthday cake... just give yourself a small piece and enjoy the piece you get to eat! when you start trying to cut stuff out of your diet cold turkey (like birthday cake) it is easier to blow it big time if you do cave and have some! so just make sure you keep it in moderation!

oh and i agree... chug a bunch of water before you eat it... it will help to give you a full feeling before you even start eating!
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I agree... if you love birthday cake, then you should have some. Just make sure that it's a small serving size, and plan ahead in your other calorie consumption. If you can find it in the food database, it might also give you a good idea how big of a piece you want to have, and how much it will put a dent in your daily calories.
  • abullock
    abullock Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My daughter is also having a birthday on Saturday and I plan on eating a piece of cake but also getting in a harder workout to make up for it. But what do with all of the extra cake . . . maybe I will give it to my sister!
  • abetterme
    abetterme Posts: 393
    Options
    We have a lot of birthdays coming up soon in our family and my plan is to eat a 100 calorie yellow cake with butter creme icing. I found them at the store the other day and I bought a box of yellow and a box of chocolate ones that way when they have birthday cake I will have one of those with low cal. ice cream so I don't blow my day completely. Hope this helps some.:flowerforyou:
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you can make the cake even better!, make her a beautiful angel food cake with strawberries and strawberry glaze, next to nothing in calories and almost fat free, or my kids really chocolate cake, so I buy duncan hines chocolate cake, I omit the oil all together and replace it with a jar of baby prune puree, or you can use apple sauce, I only use one whole egg, and three egg whites, this reduces the fat and calories tremendously and you can afford to have a little more than just a smidgeon =D, I make a raspberry glaze for the cake and only put a very thin layer of chocolate ganache to seal the cake..yummy!!!
  • jamiek_76
    Options
    I feel the same way about cakes, but I think that maybe if you get some fruit and eat it, it would be better for you and it still is sweet. Way to go on the 3 pounds. I'm so ready to lose some weight.
    Jamie
  • CarrieCowan
    Options
    I love cake too! I was at the grocery store last night and noticed that Little Debbie's products were on sale. I was surprised to find new 100 calorie options. One (which I bought for myself) was 100 calorie yellow cake with white icing. I haven't tried them yet but I have always liked Little Debbie's products and I bet they will be good. You might try them so you have your own cake option at your daughter's party! Let me know how it goes! :bigsmile:
  • abetterme
    abetterme Posts: 393
    Options
    I love cake too! I was at the grocery store last night and noticed that Little Debbie's products were on sale. I was surprised to find new 100 calorie options. One (which I bought for myself) was 100 calorie yellow cake with white icing. I haven't tried them yet but I have always liked Little Debbie's products and I bet they will be good. You might try them so you have your own cake option at your daughter's party! Let me know how it goes! :bigsmile:

They are really good, a little smaller than I was expecting but they are good.:happy: You don't feel like you are being deprived of cake.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    If you can make the cake even better!, make her a beautiful angel food cake with strawberries and strawberry glaze, next to nothing in calories and almost fat free, or my kids really chocolate cake, so I buy duncan hines chocolate cake, I omit the oil all together and replace it with a jar of baby prune puree, or you can use apple sauce, I only use one whole egg, and three egg whites, this reduces the fat and calories tremendously and you can afford to have a little more than just a smidgeon =D, I make a raspberry glaze for the cake and only put a very thin layer of chocolate ganache to seal the cake..yummy!!!

Hi fitchick, have you ever made the chocolate angel food. It is so good. Angel food and chocolate together, it doesn't get much better than that!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Teri, I would eat a piece of the birthday cake. You aren't going to cut it out of your life forever so you might as well start learning how to eat a normal portion and be able to move on from there. There will always be birthdays, celebrations that will include food. You will need to be able to handle these situations forever not just while trying to lose weight. You want to be able to maintain you loss later and part of doing that will include being able to be around the foods you love and not go overboard on them.
    Think of every special occasion as practice.
  • teridene
    teridene Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies and ideas! I think that hearing that other people like cake too makes me feel a lot better, and normal. I think I am going to have a regular piece and then let it go. Have no more. Have a wonderful weekend!!