Dentist told me off :(

Options
Saw my dentist today and he told me off saying I have cavities due to eating too many sweet snacks and drinking fizzy drinks. I drink one diet energy drink a day and usually have a chocolate or cake in the evening after dinner. I think he thought I was munching on dried fruit and guzzling coke all day.

I'm maintaining now so will have to try and think of ways to eat my calories without snacking on chocolate and cake I guess. I'm not going to drink anymore energy drinks because I know they are really bad for teeth, but not sure what tooth friendly snacks there are for my end of day treat.

I don't really have a question, just feeling a bit sad about it.

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to brush in the evening and again when waking. I need to floss more often but always forget. My dentist gets on me about that every single time. I just can't seem to remember to do it. But definitely try not to go to bed without brushing.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Dental health is more important than sweets. Glad you found the issue in time to do something about it.

Best of luck.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    It's probably not all caused by sweets and pop if you're not eating and drinking them super often. I eat sweets all the time and drink 2 pops a day and have never had a cavity in my life. I'm 30.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other comments about just making sure to brush and floss regularly.

Something to keep in mind is that acid is cause of tooth enamel erosion. So even if you don't drink that many carbonated drinks like sodas, acidic foods can cause erosion. It's also possible you have naturally thin tooth enamel which is more susceptible to cavities and obvious erosion. I have this problem.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I brush and floss regularly. Who doesn't brush twice a day??? The problem really kicked in for me when I started doing this health/fitness thing. Grazing is terrible for teeth. It raises your acid levels so your teeth are constantly being eroded. Stick to 3 meals and no snacking. Within those meals, you can eat all the sweets and fizzy drinks you want but rinse your mouth afterwards.

Also, do not brush directly after eating because the enamel is softer and you will wear it out.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    53418379.jpg

Flossing does suck.

Also, +1 to brushing before bed. I've never been in the habit. I wasn't raised with hygiene at the forefront, and I'm still working on it. It's so much easier to remember to do it when you first wake up and you know you have poo breath.

Have you been told you're more prone to cavities for some reason? One fizzy drink and some dessert don't seem like they would do that much damage.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i was never a flosser until i my dental health got pretty bad. i started flossing in the morning and no *kitten*, haven't missed a day (NOT ONE!) in almost 2 years. for some reason, switching it up made all the difference. I also walk around the house while brushing my teeth. i feel i get a two-fer, a few extra steps and a fresh mouth!
  • frankie_xox
    frankie_xox Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I also drink lots of pop and eat candy/sweets (not excessive amounts, but I have never not eaten something when I wanted it) and have no cavities. Perhaps there are other issues there and it would've been nice of the dentist to try to pinpoint the issue rather than make the assumption that these things were the problem.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I will just say that it is amazing how much my dental health improved as an unintended consequence of my weight loss. I went from cavities, root canals, and periodontal disease to no more cavities, root canals, and completely arrested to improved in some places periodontal disease since the weight came off.
  • joolie1234
    joolie1234 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I brush and floss religiously, and I still got have gotten cavities and gum disease. I had to go to a periodontist for scaling, I have to see the dentist 3 times per year instead of two, and they use special special tools when they clean my teeth. Meanwhile, growing up my younger brother ate out of the sugar bowl, and to this day he eats junk and drinks Dew like a fiend, yet he has never had a cavity. Sometimes, it's just that you're more susceptible to problems. Good luck!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    my suggestion to you is to make a dramatic change in your current routine because obviously what you're doing isnt working. It's my idea that unless you force yourself to make a HUGE change for a minimum of 3-4 weeks it's just too easy to fall back into old bad habits. This method makes it easier for them to stick!

I went through this myself after having 3 cavities a root canal and crown at the age of 19 and being told i'm getting interdental cavities and that my gums would need a laser treatment unless i fixed the problem because they were too deep and i was beginning to have periodontal disease.

This is what i did and i haven't had a cavity or problem since:
    I made a 30 day challenge for myself where i...

Purchased 1 Sonicare toothbrush for home use and one manual tooth brush with a travel cap.
    Purchased the easy flossers picks and one pack of normal floss.
    purchased a toothpaste and mouth rinse with flouride.
    Purchased a dental product called "MI Paste Plus" which combines flouride with calcium and minerals to help remineralize teeth

Then i...

Brushed with my sonicare, flossed, and rinsed each morning.
    After lunch at work i'd take my travel tooth brush and floss and do that.
    At night i'd brush with my sonicare, floss, and then apply the MI Paste.

i changed...
    sucking on sugary candy like werthers, mints, etc. where they stay in your mouth a long time
    stopped drinking sodas
    started drinking water before/after my meals
    cut out coffee, tea, and other staining drinks

Do this for 30 days and you'll realize that it's not hard, takes very little time, becomes an enjoyable routine, and more importantly will improve the health and longevity of your teeth.

Remember, we are only born with the teeth we have... once they're gone they're gone. Take care of them!

p.s. i also have dry mouth so i highly recommend the sugar free gums with xylitol, mouth rinses like biotene, scraping your tongue when needed, and staying super hydrated!
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Some people, like me, just have bad teeth.

Yeah, I'm only 31 and have already had to get a crown. I drink pop rarely (maybe once a month) and don't eat many sweets (one piece of dark chocolate every other day). I've always brushed twice a day and flossed/rinsed, but more recently increased the flossing/rinsing to try to help prevent further dental problems (my dentist thinks it's because my teeth are too close together). My mom also has bad teeth and got her first crown on exactly the same tooth as me around the same age.

I also rinse with water throughout the day (swishing it around), especially after coffee or tea. OP, you might want to try that rather than cutting out things.

If my dentist blamed it all on me and told me I was eating/drinking the wrong things without even asking me what I was eating/drinking, I'd find a new dentist.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    lc355 wrote: »
    Saw my dentist today and he told me off saying I have cavities due to eating too many sweet snacks and drinking fizzy drinks. I drink one diet energy drink a day and usually have a chocolate or cake in the evening after dinner. I think he thought I was munching on dried fruit and guzzling coke all day.

I'm maintaining now so will have to try and think of ways to eat my calories without snacking on chocolate and cake I guess. I'm not going to drink anymore energy drinks because I know they are really bad for teeth, but not sure what tooth friendly snacks there are for my end of day treat.

I don't really have a question, just feeling a bit sad about it.

@lc355 while cutting out sugary carbs does reduce the population of microbes growing in one's mouth and may help prevent cavities that pays for new homes and cars for dentists yet sometime cavities can be an internal lack of calcium in bones/teeth. If interested read up on the need of Vitamins D3 and K2 to help prevent cavities.

thedentalessentials.com/The_role_of_vitamin_k2_on_tooth_decay_s/29.htm
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have hereditary weak tooth enamel and damage to the root system due to a long term undiagnosed jaw absess.....I floss brush and swill but still have terrible teeth. Do what you can and try to cut down on acid foods.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My dentist also told me to stop drinking soda, especially diet soda. So I just drink water. It's the best anyway.