Help, Anti-Candida Diet, I think I'm making myself sick

Options
Last weekend I began the tell-tale lady symptoms of the yeastie beasties. This is far from my first go-around, I get one once or twice a year. I also happened to have one afternoon with a migraine (also once or twice a year event, but never with the yeasties) and a sudden surge in eczema, patches that had long been dormant popped back up. Darn.
Started the anti-candida diet Tuesday. These above symptoms along with my medical history (which includes multiple hospitalizations with heavy IV antibiotics) leads me to think my candida is way out of check and has been for a while. And if not, hey, dropping tons of gluten and sugar products for any length of time does a person good!
Monday morning I weighed 134.6, that has been a consistent for several weeks now. BTW, my goal is to get back to 118-122 range, and I'm been stalled around 134 for a whole year now.
The first day, Tuesday, I had my morning coffee. I do use a tablespoon sugar and a dash of a natural dairy creamer. This goes against the candida diet guidelines. The rest of the day I followed strict first stage diet guidelines. Wednesday I nixed the morning coffee (oh that wasn't easy), followed strict diet except for one palm-sized biscuit I ate with dinner. I behaved all Thursday. Friday morning I had coffee with half my usual sugar and tried to use almond coconut milk as the "creamer", because at this point I had not had a productive bathroom trip ALL WEEK. The coffee didn't work, and other than that I was as strict as I could be at an all-day conference (I gave in to one whole-wheat roll at lunch because after the salad and one of my protein shakes I thought I was going to pass out.) Friday morning, despite not having a good BM in days, I was down to 130 even. Oh my.
I was strict all day yesterday (Saturday), until 5:15pm when I could no longer stand up without help. I had gone to the store with the kids to find a veggie spiralizer to make this diet easier, we ended up grabbing a box of 12 tacos take-out. I know that is not good diet control, but I honestly didn't think I was safe enough to drive home at this point, I HAD to get some quick food into me. I resisted the supreme tacos at least, just regular ones.

Yes, I have been drinking copious amounts of water, way more than usual. Enough that I need to pee a decent amount every hour. That feels great, I got that covered.
My diet has consisted of many of the recipes I've found online for this diet, I've learned a lot of new tasty combinations this week! I have supplemented with the GNC protein shakes until yesterday, when it dawned on me they are completely dairy based and would be considered a no-no. I dished out more money than I should have to buy some "vegan" protein mix (at GNC). Technically, this mix would also be a no-no because in the first diet stage you're not supposed to have any sort of beans, peas, etc. that this mix is comprised of. I'm backed into a corner though, this stuff to help me eliminate the very bowl irritating dairy mixes, the regular dairy mixes, or none at all and I don't think I can feasibly do that.
I had to use a suppository last night. I've struggled with IBS and leaky gut symptoms for years, DR just told me to be taking stool softeners (80% of the time my stool IS too soft, not helpful) and gave me the suppositories. I swing from constipation for a week to an average of two weeks of smooth but loose sailing. If I take extra fiber supplements it totally messes me up more. I ONLY get a good BM if I have my morning coffee in a calm, peaceful environment. Adjusting my life to meet this morning goal results in 6/7 days a week respectively of a pleasant bathroom trip. SO...not having coffee on the anti-candida diet, I cannot eliminate the candida as effectively. They tell you to make sure you are staying regular, but I can't seem to without coffee.
I am taking some of the other supplements recommended. Such as, probiotics, lots of garlic which I did anyway, using lots of natural coconut products, oil of oregano capsules.
I have NO cravings. In fact, not sure I've had much appetite either since Tuesday. I have to force myself to eat when I begin to feel hungry/ill. I am absolutely feeling STARVING most of the day. I was very much mis-led to believing protein was a filler. Nonsense. Veggies and lean meats burn off in 30 minutes dammit! I'm glad I'm not totally craving carbs, not at all in fact, but I'm beginning to think I really need some healthy carbs mixed with the rest of the diet!

We are a lower income family. Twice this year I've had to stop at a food pantry because most of the month I try VERY hard to feed fresh "safe" meats and fish, fresh produce, etc. I don't buy the foods I ate as a kid in the '90's, my kids are some of the least picky, healthiest eaters ever. This candida diet, I cannot sustain it as they recommend. I live in New England, so fresh produce this time of year costs WAY more than buying lesser ideal alternatives. We eat less animal protein than an average family because buying the "grass fed, free range" stuff is three times the cost of typical grocery store shelf meat, but it is important to me so I do it. The anti-candida diet wants you to survive on good meats and fish and produce, some nuts, I just cannot afford this long-term. Bread is cheap dammit, even the good breads are cheap comparatively. We are a low-dairy household already.

Besides financial sustainability, I feel so hungry and weak, low blood sugar ill. I had to add a piece of whole wheat toast to my eggs this morning in order to drive to church. Losing 5 pounds a week? This can't be good. What do you think?

Replies

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I have nothing constructive for you I'm sorry. I just wanted you to know that as I scanned headers I read 'Anti Canada' diet. And was puzzled.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    I have nothing constructive for you I'm sorry. I just wanted you to know that as I scanned headers I read 'Anti Canada' diet. And was puzzled.

Oh my God...I was coming here to post exactly the same thing!! Cheers!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »

Haha same.
    AMamaLana wrote: »
    Last weekend I began the tell-tale lady symptoms of the yeastie beasties. This is far from my first go-around, I get one once or twice a year. I also happened to have one afternoon with a migraine (also once or twice a year event, but never with the yeasties) and a sudden surge in eczema, patches that had long been dormant popped back up. Darn.
    Started the anti-candida diet Tuesday. These above symptoms along with my medical history (which includes multiple hospitalizations with heavy IV antibiotics) leads me to think my candida is way out of check and has been for a while. And if not, hey, dropping tons of gluten and sugar products for any length of time does a person good!
    Monday morning I weighed 134.6, that has been a consistent for several weeks now. BTW, my goal is to get back to 118-122 range, and I'm been stalled around 134 for a whole year now.
    The first day, Tuesday, I had my morning coffee. I do use a tablespoon sugar and a dash of a natural dairy creamer. This goes against the candida diet guidelines. The rest of the day I followed strict first stage diet guidelines. Wednesday I nixed the morning coffee (oh that wasn't easy), followed strict diet except for one palm-sized biscuit I ate with dinner. I behaved all Thursday. Friday morning I had coffee with half my usual sugar and tried to use almond coconut milk as the "creamer", because at this point I had not had a productive bathroom trip ALL WEEK. The coffee didn't work, and other than that I was as strict as I could be at an all-day conference (I gave in to one whole-wheat roll at lunch because after the salad and one of my protein shakes I thought I was going to pass out.) Friday morning, despite not having a good BM in days, I was down to 130 even. Oh my.
    I was strict all day yesterday (Saturday), until 5:15pm when I could no longer stand up without help. I had gone to the store with the kids to find a veggie spiralizer to make this diet easier, we ended up grabbing a box of 12 tacos take-out. I know that is not good diet control, but I honestly didn't think I was safe enough to drive home at this point, I HAD to get some quick food into me. I resisted the supreme tacos at least, just regular ones.

Yes, I have been drinking copious amounts of water, way more than usual. Enough that I need to pee a decent amount every hour. That feels great, I got that covered.
    My diet has consisted of many of the recipes I've found online for this diet, I've learned a lot of new tasty combinations this week! I have supplemented with the GNC protein shakes until yesterday, when it dawned on me they are completely dairy based and would be considered a no-no. I dished out more money than I should have to buy some "vegan" protein mix (at GNC). Technically, this mix would also be a no-no because in the first diet stage you're not supposed to have any sort of beans, peas, etc. that this mix is comprised of. I'm backed into a corner though, this stuff to help me eliminate the very bowl irritating dairy mixes, the regular dairy mixes, or none at all and I don't think I can feasibly do that.
    I had to use a suppository last night. I've struggled with IBS and leaky gut symptoms for years, DR just told me to be taking stool softeners (80% of the time my stool IS too soft, not helpful) and gave me the suppositories. I swing from constipation for a week to an average of two weeks of smooth but loose sailing. If I take extra fiber supplements it totally messes me up more. I ONLY get a good BM if I have my morning coffee in a calm, peaceful environment. Adjusting my life to meet this morning goal results in 6/7 days a week respectively of a pleasant bathroom trip. SO...not having coffee on the anti-candida diet, I cannot eliminate the candida as effectively. They tell you to make sure you are staying regular, but I can't seem to without coffee.
    I am taking some of the other supplements recommended. Such as, probiotics, lots of garlic which I did anyway, using lots of natural coconut products, oil of oregano capsules.
    I have NO cravings. In fact, not sure I've had much appetite either since Tuesday. I have to force myself to eat when I begin to feel hungry/ill. I am absolutely feeling STARVING most of the day. I was very much mis-led to believing protein was a filler. Nonsense. Veggies and lean meats burn off in 30 minutes dammit! I'm glad I'm not totally craving carbs, not at all in fact, but I'm beginning to think I really need some healthy carbs mixed with the rest of the diet!

We are a lower income family. Twice this year I've had to stop at a food pantry because most of the month I try VERY hard to feed fresh "safe" meats and fish, fresh produce, etc. I don't buy the foods I ate as a kid in the '90's, my kids are some of the least picky, healthiest eaters ever. This candida diet, I cannot sustain it as they recommend. I live in New England, so fresh produce this time of year costs WAY more than buying lesser ideal alternatives. We eat less animal protein than an average family because buying the "grass fed, free range" stuff is three times the cost of typical grocery store shelf meat, but it is important to me so I do it. The anti-candida diet wants you to survive on good meats and fish and produce, some nuts, I just cannot afford this long-term. Bread is cheap dammit, even the good breads are cheap comparatively. We are a low-dairy household already.

Besides financial sustainability, I feel so hungry and weak, low blood sugar ill. I had to add a piece of whole wheat toast to my eggs this morning in order to drive to church. Losing 5 pounds a week? This can't be good. What do you think?

There is just so much here so if I miss something I apologize.

First-dropping sugar and gluten products only does a person good if they have a medical condition that requires it. If they don't-it is just another way to create a calorie deficit. For healthy people with no medical conditions, dropping sugar and gluten doesn't do anything, regardless the amount of time.

There is such thing as too much water. You should be drinking enough that you are hydrated (based on urine color). If you drink too much water you can actually cause your electrolytes to become messed up. Look up hyponatremia.

You don't say, how many calories are you eating?
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

What, exactly, are you eating? Are you not eating enough calories? Did you talk to a doctor about this diet plan, or are you doing it because "they" on the interwebz say "it is supposed to help"?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

... I feel so hungry and weak, low blood sugar ill. I had to add a piece of whole wheat toast to my eggs this morning in order to drive to church. Losing 5 pounds a week? This can't be good. What do you think?

How many calories are you eating? Your weakness and hunger could simply be from not eating enough.

I'm not opposed to the anti-Candida diet. My mother used it successfully to treat candida that was unresponsive to other treatments. However, I don't think it's necessary until you have exhausted all other remedies.

I used to get regular yeast infections until I started taking a probiotic regularly. Now, on the rare occasions (once every few years) that I think one is coming on, I successfully fight back with garlic: https://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/garlic.asp
  • AMamaLana
    AMamaLana Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm likely not getting enough calories, I'm sure that's a big part of it. How one is supposed to do so following the strict guidelines, I just don't know!
    We've been using a lot of quinoa, pretty much a big batch made every dinner and I'll eat the leftovers for lunch the next day. A ton of eggs, and I always "fry" them with olive oil. Chicken, fish such as cod or salmon (I know cod isn't nearly as dense as salmon), ground turkey, and the occasional beef, every dinner, usually have leftovers for the next day's lunch. Many meals have added ingredients or cooked with olive oil, coconut oil, walnuts, avocado, goat cheese. Started cooking all the meal vegetables in olive or coconut oil as well and I've been finding more uses for flax and chia seeds than I knew was possible. I'd say I have an average of two protein shakes a day, the GNC are 200 calories per, haven't checked the new container. Have a few snacks that are "approved", special crackers with salsa or goat cheese, handful of walnuts at a time, had salad but I finished that off, bought a few new things yesterday including almond butter and coconut flakes to eat or make into little coconut "desserts". I have the instinct to eat baby carrots every time I open the fridge, but their is conflicting information on carrot so I've limited it.
    For the past two or three years, eating anything makes me feel bloated, sometimes uncomfortably so. A meal makes me look pregnant. I cannot fathom eating every 2 hours just to sustain calories on this diet, I'd feel so miserable. I experimented with intermittent fasting a while back, that was fantastic for fixing the bloat, but it was another very hard to sustain diet for practicality reasons with three kids around. Between meals one could add in fresh vegetables, which have very little calories but wouldn't make me bloat so much, but the cost is incredible. Bell peppers here cost average $3.59 a pound, or you can buy a 3 pack for $6. Bought a bag of grapes for the kids yesterday, $8. Fresh broccoli is hovering around $3.99 a pound.

Got stuck out for lunch yesterday, was able to find an Asian themed place that is known for their soups. The egg noodles were likely all wheat based (ate them anyway) but that broth felt SO good and nourishing. I need to learn to make broth like that. If anyone knows the secret...
    My water bottles are 16 or 20oz, I have been downing 4 average a day.

Last year I went to see a gastro specialist. At the time I was so heavily bloated I couldn't button my jeans, was struggling with all of the classic IBS symptoms, and my eczema was out of control all over my FACE despite the super heavy duty cream the GP prescribed. After blood work, specialist just tells me to eat FODMAPS and see her in 6 months. Is this just a recorded response these days? Every healthy food in my typical diet is on the no list, FODMAPS is even more restricting than anti-candida is, and the lists I was told to look at were even more conflicting. The specialist never addressed anything to do with my BM because the GP had given me those softeners and suppositories. My real question in all that, am I not getting correct paristaltic movement? I seem to just collect and collect and collect stuff in my gut, and even while taking softeners, never even get an urge to go, it just never drops far enough through my gut. Next thing I know I'm constipated for a week on end in agony, with or without taking the softeners. This goes in phases though, if I clear up the issue, I can go several weeks to months without another problem. Meanwhile, can't lose weight (until last week) and my eczema intensity comes in waves.
    I saw a dermatologist about the eczema prior to all of this. He told me it was impossible that my skin was related to anything in my diet, gave me a cream that made it worse, he was so rude, I never went back.

So yes, I'm trying all these different ways of eating on my own, because my health insurance doesn't cover doctors with better minds than these ones. Every doctor I meet these days is very narrow-focused, treat the worst symptom, refer you to a specialist that'll treat the next symptom. ALL of these mentioned problems began after having several rounds of nasty IV antibiotics. No one else in my family has any of these issues, so I highly suspect it is damage from 1990's antibiotics for everything combined with the IV antibiotic events. My stomach is a very unhappy creature.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with Canadians - If think this is more than a little racist! <walks out in a huff and slams the door>
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt that a few days of changing anything in your diet can have a noticeable positive or negative impact. It was one week. People fast and abstain from all sorts of things for several weeks and nothing really changes in their health. If I had to guess, you were ill last weekend, the illness just progressed like it would have anyway, and on top of it all you panicked.
    As for the candida, go to your dr, confirm the diagnosis (it has happened to me to have recurrent self-diagnosed yeast infections , only to find out it was BV instead) and get treated. A few days and you will be fine.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options

This is too much to read. I stopped half way but I think your problem is electrolytes. If the Anti-Candida diet is very low carb/low sugar, you need to supplement with salt and potassium and magnesium

Put 1/4 tsp of Morton's Lite Salt into your water bottle; drink 4-6x a day. Take some form of chelated magnesium at night. This will help with your bowel movements and get you the magnesium you need. I think you will feel much, much better in the short term.

I cannot advise on the right long-term diet for you. You may want to discuss with your doctor or a nutritionist. Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I would try to add foods in antioxidants and vitamin C.
    I have a feeling you are not eating enough fresh fruits and vegetables.
    Could you afford a multivitamin? Just as cheap insurance?
    Probiotics would help, but they are expensive.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    What's your daily carb intake? You seem to be describing what might be some low carb days mixed in with slightly higher carb days when you're not following the diet as strictly. But, you're certainly eating fewer carbs than what has been your previous norm either way.
    And you mention drinking a lot of water and running to the bathroom more. Also the mention of a sudden drop of weight... I'm wondering about sodium... And electrolyte loss with water weight loss. This definitely makes a person feel weak and hungry too. I would increase sodium and consider a magnesium supplement as well.

These links will give detailed information to help you choose which form is best for you if you're interested.
    http://www.timeforwellness.org/blog-view/which-magnesium-supplement-is-best-and-for-who-336
    http://www.ancient-minerals.com/magnesium-supplements/

Also, lower carb diets are often used to help candida so I think that's what your plan is...??? If so, many people that don't even have any health issues like a low carb diet because they are able to feel satisfied while eating at a calorie deficit more easily. Many people say that it's due to protein, but actually higher fat intake is best paired with lower carbs and should help you feel in control.
    If you would like support and information while on a low carb diet there is a group here that you may find helpful.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What is wrong with Canadians - If think this is more than a little racist! <walks out in a huff and slams the door>
    When I saw the title I read it as Anti-Canadian too.

OP: If you're having actual medical issues, go to a doctor instead of WebMDing it, most of us are not medical professionals.
    Someone asked if you were getting enough calories, your response was "I'm likely not getting enough calories" I think that answers the issues of why you feel so weak.
    I thought this article Yeast Infection Advisor -Candida Diet Warning was interesting, especially this part -
    Because we can only control one out of the five necessary requirements for yeast to grow, it is unrealistic to think that the candida diet alone will resolve any type of yeast over growth. But that doesn't mean you would want to not follow the diet. To do so would give it all it needed to achieve maximum population growth and double its population every hour. The bottom line is, you're going to need to take medically proven supplements to kill it and follow the diet if you want to get it under control.

Ultimately if you want to do the serious Candida diet you have to eliminate grains, you're not as you admitted. You should be able to eat most meats, nuts, real butter, coconut oil, some fruits (some restricted to quantity), non gluten grains (like quinoa, millet) that have some decent calories in them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I'm likely not getting enough calories, I'm sure that's a big part of it. How one is supposed to do so following the strict guidelines, I just don't know!
    We've been using a lot of quinoa, pretty much a big batch made every dinner and I'll eat the leftovers for lunch the next day. A ton of eggs, and I always "fry" them with olive oil. Chicken, fish such as cod or salmon (I know cod isn't nearly as dense as salmon), ground turkey, and the occasional beef, every dinner, usually have leftovers for the next day's lunch. Many meals have added ingredients or cooked with olive oil, coconut oil, walnuts, avocado, goat cheese. Started cooking all the meal vegetables in olive or coconut oil as well and I've been finding more uses for flax and chia seeds than I knew was possible. I'd say I have an average of two protein shakes a day, the GNC are 200 calories per, haven't checked the new container. Have a few snacks that are "approved", special crackers with salsa or goat cheese, handful of walnuts at a time, had salad but I finished that off, bought a few new things yesterday including almond butter and coconut flakes to eat or make into little coconut "desserts". I have the instinct to eat baby carrots every time I open the fridge, but their is conflicting information on carrot so I've limited it.
    For the past two or three years, eating anything makes me feel bloated, sometimes uncomfortably so. A meal makes me look pregnant. I cannot fathom eating every 2 hours just to sustain calories on this diet, I'd feel so miserable. I experimented with intermittent fasting a while back, that was fantastic for fixing the bloat, but it was another very hard to sustain diet for practicality reasons with three kids around. Between meals one could add in fresh vegetables, which have very little calories but wouldn't make me bloat so much, but the cost is incredible. Bell peppers here cost average $3.59 a pound, or you can buy a 3 pack for $6. Bought a bag of grapes for the kids yesterday, $8. Fresh broccoli is hovering around $3.99 a pound.

Got stuck out for lunch yesterday, was able to find an Asian themed place that is known for their soups. The egg noodles were likely all wheat based (ate them anyway) but that broth felt SO good and nourishing. I need to learn to make broth like that. If anyone knows the secret...
    My water bottles are 16 or 20oz, I have been downing 4 average a day.

Last year I went to see a gastro specialist. At the time I was so heavily bloated I couldn't button my jeans, was struggling with all of the classic IBS symptoms, and my eczema was out of control all over my FACE despite the super heavy duty cream the GP prescribed. After blood work, specialist just tells me to eat FODMAPS and see her in 6 months. Is this just a recorded response these days? Every healthy food in my typical diet is on the no list, FODMAPS is even more restricting than anti-candida is, and the lists I was told to look at were even more conflicting. The specialist never addressed anything to do with my BM because the GP had given me those softeners and suppositories. My real question in all that, am I not getting correct paristaltic movement? I seem to just collect and collect and collect stuff in my gut, and even while taking softeners, never even get an urge to go, it just never drops far enough through my gut. Next thing I know I'm constipated for a week on end in agony, with or without taking the softeners. This goes in phases though, if I clear up the issue, I can go several weeks to months without another problem. Meanwhile, can't lose weight (until last week) and my eczema intensity comes in waves.
    I saw a dermatologist about the eczema prior to all of this. He told me it was impossible that my skin was related to anything in my diet, gave me a cream that made it worse, he was so rude, I never went back.

So yes, I'm trying all these different ways of eating on my own, because my health insurance doesn't cover doctors with better minds than these ones. Every doctor I meet these days is very narrow-focused, treat the worst symptom, refer you to a specialist that'll treat the next symptom. ALL of these mentioned problems began after having several rounds of nasty IV antibiotics. No one else in my family has any of these issues, so I highly suspect it is damage from 1990's antibiotics for everything combined with the IV antibiotic events. My stomach is a very unhappy creature.

My Mom also has IBS and also got it under control with an IBS diet. I think FODMAPS might be beneficial to you. Just stick to the affordable basics. Sure, with both financial and dietary constraints you'll be bored, but getting your symptoms under control will be worth it.

If you are getting sufficient calories you will be less likely to sneak prohibited foods.
  • Lroppolo
    Lroppolo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi I am currently on an Anti-Candida diet prescribed by my doctor. A few things after reading your post: First, in order to keep your blood sugar stable, you need to be snacking in between meals. Second, all grains and dairy need to be eliminated from the diet. Lean meats, nuts, veggies and good fats are to be consumed. If you must have fruit, stick to berries and no more than a cup per day. Drinking bone broth can help you with your electrolytes as well as supplementing with minerals, especially magnesium and selenium. This diet is not sustainable for the long term. It is very hard on your body, especially the kidneys. Do not consume any alcohol while on the diet and I would ease back into it slowly after you are done. It is very restrictive and know that you may be feeling under the weather for the first few weeks, which is normal "die off" symptoms. My doctor has me on it for 6 weeks. I'm 5 weeks in and finally feeling better. My skin is clearer and I have lost a few pounds (ultimate goal was just to treat the bacterial overgrowth, weight loss is a nice side effect). Hope this helps!
  • stormyview
    stormyview Posts: 81 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Like everyone else said, I'd really check with a doctor about the suspected candida. As someone above said, system-wide candida is really, really rare in healthy individuals. Even if you have IBS, you'd still qualify as basically healthy in this standpoint. It really is seen almost exclusively in immune-compromised individuals (think AIDS) or those who've been on massive doses of antibiotics. Do you have oral thrush too? If not, I'd guess it's unlikely you have a systemic problem.

That being said, I also worry about your electrolyte balance. Too much water can really throw that off and leave you feeling weak.

I do understand the financial concerns about visiting doctors. Could you use an over-the counter vag yeast treatment? I always found the one-day treatments were most effective, but when I suffered from chronic ones, I'd sometimes do three back to back. I honestly found the prescription fluconazole the most effective and after two doses of that at the recommended interval (one didn't knock it out completely), I've been yeast infection-free for almost two decades!!

For your GI issues, do you eat fermented foods? I personally found drinking kombucha and eating naturally fermented foods makes a huge difference in my GI health. Eating a bunch of fermented veggies, especially cabbage, really helps with constipation for me, and I almost never have heartburn anymore!

But I have to do it regularly, like daily. They're easy to make yourself, and the fermented veggies (kraut, lacto-fermented veggies) keep well over the winter. It might be expensive to make your own now, but if you have a summer garden or can stock up then from cheap food stands, it's easy to make enough to see you through the winter.

I'm also concerned that your chronic constipation of a week or more between goes has chronically distended your intestines. You can read about it online (or ask a gi doc!), but my experience with that was that the only way to heal that is to set up a system to be regular.

So, drink your caffeinated coffee every morning (use stevia maybe if you can't drink it unsweetened? Just choke it down to get things going!), and then sit on the toilet at the same time daily. Drink plenty of water, but don't overdo it (8-12 glasses is plenty). Eat 25 or more grams of fiber a day. (If you don't have enough water, this can plug you up.) Eat lots of probiotic foods--fermented foods and foods with non-digestible fibers of different types to give the healthy bacteria something to live on (just dumping wheat bran or psyllium husk on your food is not enough to promote a healthy balance of gut flora).

For kids with chronic issues, a common recommendation is to take miralax daily for a few or several weeks to keep things moving. A nightly dose of magnesium citrate is often helpful to help soften things too. When starting with a big backup like you may have, I've read that it's often recommended to start with a laxative at the recommended dosage (don't exceed what the package says for dose or frequency unless you're following a doctor's orders!) to help move the backup along.

I'm not a doctor, so please check with one and do your own research. I do hear your desperation and wanted to give you some things to think about and research. But please consult a physician. The weakness and extreme constipation are worrisome!

• eliza2811
    eliza2811 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    These are really interesting comments. I too struggle with having a normal bowel movement. In fact the last normal BM was like 18 months ago. Since then, my GP whom I've visited 3 times about same thing, has given me Laxido, Lactulose and Dulcolax. Says the usual thing, more fibre and exercise. While I do need more exercise, I eat lots of vegetables and drink plenty of water based drinks. Given that I'm 40 years old and eating better now than 2 years ago, I don't know what is going on. The GP's in England hate sending people for further testing and just fob you off with pills. It's not safe to take laxatives all the time. I'm constantly bloated, windy, feel bunged up. If the laxatives do produce a BM, it's so loose, I can't push anything out (tmi sorry!!) At wits end.
  • abetterchelle
    abetterchelle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know this is a year too late but I thought I'd reply, in case anyone else visits the thread in the future. Don't forget your health fats! Olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, flax... you need them, always but especially during die off. They'll increase your calorie intake which should help with energy. They are pricey but the good, economical part is, a little goes a long way. You might also consider checking to see if you have Hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid). This condition, especially combined with a history of antibiotics can provide the perfect breeding ground for candida in addition to creating a slew of other health issues. Additionally, please remember that any grain you consume (even though they are technically allowed on most anti-candida diets) will feed the beast. Christa Orecchio has a ton of good information about general gut health out there.