New here, but not looking to lose weight - need advice on veggie protein! (UK)

Options
call3na
call3na Posts: 33 Member
edited April 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Hey all,

New here, recently signed up as my winter training was having no effect whatsoever on my strength or body shape - cardio is improving but strength not so much! After researching a bit I realised that my diet is generally lacking in protein, on an average day I was consuming less than the recommended amount for a sedentary person, so far less than needed to have any effect on muscles. My daughter went vegan a year ago so I've been eating far less eggs / cheese than normal (I'm veggie so no meat), so I've been adding that back into my diet in an attempt to increase protein!

Does anyone have any advice or can share their tips on getting more protein into a veggie diet? I don't know if you can see my diary to see what I've been trying over the last week since I signed up here. I have hemp protein powder that I've been putting in smoothies (to disguise the taste) to try and boost it more too.

I've always been slim so don't need to lose any weight - gaining some healthily wouldn't go amiss as I'm 5'5 (and a half!) and weigh about 115lb. This is probably the heaviest I've been other than being pregnant and its taken a while to get to this point thanks to exercising more.

I swim 2-3 times a week, aiming to run twice a week and do circuit training once/twice a week (have to fit it around my kids activities). And when the waves are good I'll be in the surf.

The reason for the current focus is that I'm training for a 12k Tuff Enuff race so need a mix of strength and cardio improvement.

Cheers all :)
Callena

Replies

• lovebirb
    lovebirb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just started a new veggie based diet too :)

Here are the protein sources that have worked for me so far:

Eziekiel Bread (found in the frozen food section, about 3.50$ ea) protein n fiber power!
    Chia seeds ( you can put a spoonful or so in your smoothies, doesn't really have any flavor)
    Look up a quinoa + bean recipe to cook in crock pot or stove, most easy recipes are Mexican style n you can freeze leftovers
    Muscle milk 100% whey chocolate flavor is delicious for shakes but made from milk source so idk if you'd drink it but it's good tasting!
    TVP (texturized vegetable protein) found in bags at grocery stores! Looks like tiny dried crunchy bits, but combined with water and bbq sauce, = vegan barbecue filling for sandwhiches, so good !! And protein filled. I eat this a lot
    Peanut butterrrrr

I too am always on the look out for more recipes and protein sources. sounds like you are very active and could use the extra protein for all that you do! Best wishes!

• mgookin1
    mgookin1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Beans, nuts, soy products are all great for protien. I would also suggest 1 protein shake a day, they have vegan powders.
  • call3na
    call3na Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks both,
    I've been experimenting over the last week with things and have managed to boost my protein intake most days - but it does tend to send my calorie intake over the recommendation, I'm not massively fussed about that though as fat and sugar is generally under the recommendation which I think is probably more important - I've never needed to diet so never really looked at calories before!
    lovebirb wrote: »
    I just started a new veggie based diet too :)
    I too am always on the look out for more recipes and protein sources. sounds like you are very active and could use the extra protein for all that you do! Best wishes!

I've opened up my diary to friends, do you want to swap ideas?

Unfortunately whilst I dont mind peanut butter in cooking (on baked tofu its YUM!) I can't stand the texture on bread / crackers etc. but I do snack on peanuts and cashews etc so hopefully that's similar :)
    mgookin1 wrote: »
    Beans, nuts, soy products are all great for protien. I would also suggest 1 protein shake a day, they have vegan powders.

Thanks :) Those are the things I'm eating at the moment, you seem to need to eat a LOT though to get enough protein in a meal! I had a massive bowl of bean chilli with rice and it was still only 20g of protein! I added cottage cheese to boost it lol. Maybe I just need to increase my appetite to eat more!

I've been taking the hemp protein shake on the days I exercise to boost intake those days, I might try one of the soy ones to see how they compare.

callena