Low Calorie Alcohol

Options
Hello , I am going out this weekend for my friends birthday so I do plan on drinking. I've been doing well with my diet lately and don't want the beer that id usually drink to destroy my hard work ! Any advice on what alcohol I could consume ? Is there any alcoholic drinks that offer low calorie amounts? Let me know & thanks in advance !

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Basically the lowest calorie choice is going to be hard alcohol straight up without any mixer. The problem with alcohol, is the calories are in the actual alcohol, beer is just a slightly higher calorie count because there are also some carbs in there.
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, my area of expertise! :) I like to mix vodka with diet soda. One of my favorites is a "Moscow Mule" with diet ginger ale, vodka and a splash of lime. One ounce of Grey Goose is 69 calories.

My other go-to is Corona Light for 99 calories. I try to get in a really kick-*kitten* workout on the day I'm going to drink so I can "drink" those extra calories. I also bank calories during the week and save them for the weekend if I plan on drinking. As long as I don't do that every week, it seems to workout fine for me.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Clear liquors with a diet soda mixer is the lowest calories that I can think of. Rum and coke, martini, etc.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Here's the protocol to follow if you desire and this might be frequent.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

If not, don't worry about it - just don't weigh the next morning or the natural water fluctuations will freak you out probably.

Give it 3 days to settle back to normal.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Personally I would go with a lighter beer like a gose, zwickel, or milk stout. My rule of thumb for beer is
    kcal = abv% * 2.5 * fluid ounces
  • AmandaJuneFit
    AmandaJuneFit Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone , based on my research i think i will drink smirnoff vodka with club soda and a lime !
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone , based on my research i think i will drink smirnoff vodka with club soda and a lime !
    My all time favorite way to drink vodka . Doesn't have added sugars . Ever tried grey goose?
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I thought you were 19??
  • AmandaJuneFit
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    I thought you were 19??

Ya I am 19 LOL so what ?? Legal drinking age is 18 ........
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    straight up booze...
    I thought you were 19??

I take it you're not from the U.S. It's 21 in the U.S.
  • AmandaJuneFit
    Options
    LOL im from CANADA !!!! :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I thought you were 19??

21 is legal age in the States...she was probably assuming you lived in the States.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If you do want a beer option, I recently discovered Redd's Strawberry Ale, and it's my new favorite thing :) A 12 ounce bottle is only 166 calories. It takes me a while to drink a whole bottle, so a good one for when you're out socializing.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I thought you were 19??

21 is legal age in the States...she was probably assuming you lived in the States.

Wow - that's a little shocking!
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I thought you were 19??

Here's a fun fact-of the 190 countries, 61% of them have a legal drinking age of 18 or 19. Only 11 countries, including the U.S., have higher legal ages of 21.

eta. there's also countries with no legal age requirements at all, wild lol.
  • cwolfman13
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I thought you were 19??

Here's a fun fact-of the 190 countries, 61% of them have a legal drinking age of 18 or 19. Only 11 countries, including the U.S., have higher legal ages of 21.

Yeah...and it's BS...I went into the military at 18...I was old enough to sign a four year contract with my government...old enough to take a bullet...but beer? No friggin' way bro.
  • ReaderGirl3
    Options
    I thought you were 19??

Yeah...and it's BS...I went into the military at 18...I was old enough to do that...old enough to take a bullet...but beer? No friggin' way bro.

I agree it makes no sense!
  • MLouis1
    MLouis1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    When I know I'm going to drink more than one, I try to space them with a club soda or water. That's if I know I will be at the bar with friends for a few hours!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I thought you were 19??

Yeah...and it's BS...I went into the military at 18...I was old enough to do that...old enough to take a bullet...but beer? No friggin' way bro.

I agree it makes no sense!

My memory was that states were forced to raised it relatively recently (by which I mean in some states not until just before I went to college, so the year above me (they were class of '90) was grandfathered in the neighboring state--we were close to the state border).

Checking, apparently the history is more complicated and it was only lower for a brief period of time. When we got rid of Prohibition it was 21 in most states, as that was the age of majority. In the late 60s/early 70s the voting age/age of majority was decreased to 18 (in part due to the argument that 18 year olds could be drafted into the military), and 30 states decreased their drinking age to 18 also. 12 kept it at 21, the rest were already below 21 (some states had lower ages for beer and wine than for liquor).

Then, in 1984, Congress passed the National Minimum Drinking Age Act which took away highway funds from states that did not raise the drinking age to 21 (this was supposed to address drunk driving risks, I think, and I recall an argument being that 18 meant that it was easy to get alcohol for high school parties). The last state to give in and raise it was Wyoming in '88, although I guess there was some weird loophole in Louisiana until the mid 90s (this does not surprise me).