How do you eat your veggies?

Options
2»

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the vegetable. With broccoli, I like to make broccoli-and-rice. I mix onions, rice, cheddar cheese, and a little milk with the broccoli, and then bake it.
    With spinach, I like to mix sausage, spices, and mozzarella cheese in and bake that. For both of these dishes I use frozen spinach, but with broccoli-and-rice fresh broccoli works better.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    In stir fries, in curries, in soups, in pasta sauces, as noodles, roasted in the oven, steamed, griddled....
    A loaded veggie pizza is always fabulous. You can do a thin base and pile on the veg and garlic!
    In pitta bread with salad and chilli sauce.
    In casseroles. Sausage and bean casserole with peppers, squash, onions and mushrooms seasoned with garlic and smoked paprika is fab.

Any old way you like!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I eat spinach in my omelet pretty much every morning. I eat about 1 cup of steamed broccoli with my lunch most days, unless I have veggies leftover from the previous nights meal. I eat 2 cups of veggies with my evening meal...usually either roasted or sauteed, and usually a variety...like last night I sauteed a red bell pepper with half a red onion, some broccoli, and some spinach in coconut oil. I usually have 2x 5.5 ounce low sodium V8s pretty much every day.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    You could have a look at the Deliciously Ella or the Hemsley & Hemsley websites.

Lots of great recipes on there to the extent that I look forward to the nights where we have vegetarian meals (I never thought I would say that...)
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I like veggies with hummus, although I have never had issue with eating my veg. Leafy greens with garlic, olive oil and some finishing salt - YUM! I could devour an entire plate.

I like making huge spinach smoothies too - like I am talking 3 cups of spinach huge. Banana, almond milk, 1 scoop of protein powder and some PB2 (or peanut butter) and the thing is delicious and I get so many veggies in before I am even normally awake enough to know what happened haha!
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Saute onions, mushrooms, spinach, bell peppers, tomatoes, green onions (or any other veggies you like) then add 2 or 3 eggs, scramble and a splash of cheese, top with hot sauce!-yummy and no oil needed.
  • frankie_xox
    frankie_xox Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a vegetable spiralizer that makes it a bit more fun to add things to salads or to add zucchini to a pasta dish (or replace the pasta all together). Also, you could try looking for some different salad recipes that are more substantial/meal sized with protein and lots of veggies. I also like to roast peppers or sweet potatoes with olive oil and seasoning (a blend like Mrs. Dash is tasty and doesn't require you to buy a bunch of different spices). And like others have said, stirfrys are yummy!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    -steamed broccoli is a fave w/cheese sometimes and just salt at other times
    -baked potato or baked sweet potato
    -baby red potatoes roasted in the oven w/EVOO or avocado oil w/salt & pepper, parsley
    -fresh green beans cooked on stove top with slice of bacon to season them
    -grilled zucchini or roasted is good as well (I marinate in an Italian dressing first)
    -corn on the cob (I heat a cob in the microwave for 3 minutes wrapped in a wet paper towel, comes out perfect)
    -roasted asparagus w/EVOO or avocado oil and salt/pepper
    -sautee red/green bell peppers along with onions in EVOO/avocado oil on stove top
    -radishes are really good cooked in the oven so I throw them in with other foods often, they lose their heat when cooked.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Raw.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    RA60172 wrote: »
    I throw veggies into just about everything. For my meatloaf, I do one pound ground turkey and about one pound of a variety of veggies. It's colorful, filling, and low calorie. Made beef stew tonight and threw in cut up russet potatoes, matchstick carrots, a cup of diced radishes and a carton of sliced mushrooms. Even my 5 year old eats it!

the meatloaf you make sounds really good!
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of raw veggies because they are easy and I hate cooking. :) I make a ranch dip with reduced fat sour cream and a Hidden Valley ranch packet to dip them in - just be sure to measure your portion of the dip! Very good. I also love cucumbers and salsa together. Another favorite is to take a variety of raw veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc) and toss them in a little low fat or fat free Italian dressing.

If I feel like "cooking" - roasted zucchini, squash and mushrooms in the oven are my favorite. Skinnytaste.com is a great resource for recipes and the Skillet Mexican Zucchini recipe is AMAZING. I roasted it in the oven for 25-30 minutes instead of using a skillet. Spaghetti squash is very good, too. All kinds of recipes on Pinterest.

Have fun with your veggies and they are actually very good!
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the vegetable. With broccoli, I like to make broccoli-and-rice. I mix onions, rice, cheddar cheese, and a little milk with the broccoli, and then bake it.
    With spinach, I like to mix sausage, spices, and mozzarella cheese in and bake that. For both of these dishes I use frozen spinach, but with broccoli-and-rice fresh broccoli works better.

Your broccoli rice dish sounds great, I'm going to write it down and try, thanks!
  • crazymama2both
    crazymama2both Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Im a HUGE fan of skinnytaste.com. You'll find an abundance of recipes there; some are more time consuming than others but it's so worth checking the website out. I've printed out numerous recipes from there and haven't been unhappy with any of them!
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Raw. In salads. Mostly. Broccoli I steam slightly.

For company I have a couple of cooked veggie dishes I do. Try carrots sliced evenly and sautéed in butter until tender, then shake some dried basil and one or two tbsp. of real maple syrup.
  • zoe6724
    zoe6724 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm all about easy so I do mine the same way. Asparagus, Brussels sprouts, kale all thrown in the oven with olive oil spray and garlic salt at 400 for 12 mins