Meal Prep

Options
I'm really wanting to start meal prepping but I honestly don't know where to start... I'm really bad about planning out meals for the week, & I do really good the first day but then I want something different the following day & just don't know how many different meals to make, & etc! anybody have any tips or tricks to help me out?

Replies

• tikatiff
    tikatiff Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day meal prepping. I started off slow. I baked in oven like 12 pieces chicken drmsticks. I did half with BBQ sauce and halve with lemon garlic marinade. 2hrs in oven at 375. Perfect. I'm gonna use next few days to snack on and for lunches. Like in a salad or sandwich ect.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I basically plan a different dinner each night with leftovers for lunch. Sometimes my leftovers don't happen (eaten by the family) or get stolen by my husband for his lunch. I always have some staples on hand like eggs, cottage cheese and tuna cans or pouches and I always have a variety of vegetables both fresh and frozen so I can throw together a quick healthy alternative meal. Having healthy staples on hand keeps you from going through the drive-thru/
  • zoe6724
    zoe6724 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I cheat...I roast vegetables every couple days in a big batch. I have a can of Amy's organic lentil soup and a tuna packet every day. And I portion out baby carrots and almonds into bags for the work week. But I don't eat meat, so when I eat salmon I cook it that day.
  • joanne4alan
    joanne4alan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm meal prep in tonight I do chicken with peri peri sause for that bit of taste and lean pork chops and lots of raw veg like carrot sticks and peppers spring onions baby corn sugar snap peas and mix it all up through the week so I have a variety x
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Easy way to start would be to cook a couple different proteins for the week (say, chicken breast and ground turkey).

Then, use those bases to make other things:

Salad toppers, burrito bowl, fajitas, add to soup, stir fry, tacos, lettuce wraps, etc.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Could start to get some basic foods in your store cupboard like pasta (spaghetti and shapes, e.g. penne), rice, cous-cous or quinoa, tinned veg and pulses, some dried mixed herbs, smoked paprika, chilli powder and cumin or garam masala, tomato puree, maybe a jar of sweet-and-sour sauce (usually lower in calories than cream-based sauces), and some in your freezer like frozen veg, potato wedges, mince. These sorts of things can then make a variety of dishes when added to fresh veg and whatever protein you like, spag bols, pasta salads or mac cheese, curry, sweet-and-sour or chilli with rice.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I often make large batches of meals and freeze them, so I don't have to eat them for 3 days running!
    If you have a big enough freezer and do several different meals, you will be able to have a bit of variation without cooking from scratch every single night"
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I don't prepare whole meals, but like to fill the fridge with pre-made elements- especially proteins and washed veggies. I cut up light feta into 1 inch cubes (put in salted water to preserve), grill a pack of temphe, open a can of beans, boil eggs and peas, make salmon patties. I also make a batch of quinoa, baked potatoes, grilled veggies and steel cut oatmeal (for breakfast). Most of my meals end up being chunky salads with a lot of satisfying goodies inside :)
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I pick something for lunch all week and then just separate meats, veggies, etc into bags and freeze. Time to cook, grab the bags you want, defrost, log, cook and eat..Simple. You can make it as easy or as difficult as you want it, really..
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I often make large batches of meals and freeze them, so I don't have to eat them for 3 days running!
    If you have a big enough freezer and do several different meals, you will be able to have a bit of variation without cooking from scratch every single night"

This. I make a few every weekend and then I have months to eat them and plenty of variety.
  • muhhkayylee
    muhhkayylee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    thank you guys so much! I appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions!!