Is this a good idea?

Options
Ok so I have had 4 kids and I'm 181 lbs I'm 5 feet 4 inches and a 28 yr old female. I wanna lose more weight. I have started a 1,200 calaorie diet and I walk about 3 hours at a time in the morning a day. My youngest is 1 so I can't do many exercises so I try 2 get at least 10 sit ups in. I don't pay attention to sugars or any other intake but the 1,200 calories. Will this help me loose weight? How fast would it?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Plug your stats into MFP and choose a goal based on your current size. 1200 (before exercise) is as low as MFP will go.

This will give you an idea what to expect for weekly loss:
    Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

Eating less & moving more is what you need for weight loss.
  • samjoy
    samjoy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Have you used the MFP calculator to see how much you need in a day? Are you eating back your exercise calories? 1200 seems very low and unsustainable especially if you're walking 3 hrs a day (and please tell me your secret on how you have time to do this with 4 kids?!) Good for you - I have two and I really struggle to get 30 mins in....
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Plus with 4 kids, including a toddler, I'm pretty sure that you're not sedentary.
  • tenshi614
    tenshi614 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well my secret is they go 2 school but my 1 yr old, and I have a limited of time 4 things lol. I choose the 1,200 calorie diet, I do use the map calculator but I am trying 2 stay at 1,200 calories. I walk for 3 hours straight then do house work and clean up after the baby, I also play xbox for.a few hours. I wanna know if I can lose the baby fat I have 4rm the kids if I continue what I'm doing and how fast can I lose it?
  • tenshi614
    edited April 2016
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Plug your stats into MFP and choose a goal based on your current size. 1200 (before exercise) is as low as MFP will go.

This will give you an idea what to expect for weekly loss:
    Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

Eating less & moving more is what you need for weight loss.

I have done this, and set It for 2 lbs a week. I choose to have the 1,200 calorie intake.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    if you have time to play xbox every day for "a few hours" you have time to exercised
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    @tenshi614 I was on 1200 when I started at the same weight (181) though I'm a little taller at 5'6". And the pounds do come off (down 23 since Jan), but I did up it to 1300 last month because I found it was coming off a little too fast. Now I'm averaging about .6-1lb a week which is a little better. I've still got another 15-20 to go but I'll get there eventually.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What's your goal weight?
    Are you logging those 3 hours of walking as exercise?
    Why are you doing 10 sit ups a day?
  • tenshi614
    Options
    if you have time to play xbox every day for "a few hours" you have time to exercised

I ment like at the gym, and when ur 1yr old just jumps all over u when ur on the floor it's hard.
  • tenshi614
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    @tenshi614 I was on 1200 when I started at the same weight (181) though I'm a little taller at 5'6". And the pounds do come off (down 23 since Jan), but I did up it to 1300 last month because I found it was coming off a little too fast. Now I'm averaging about .6-1lb a week which is a little better. I've still got another 15-20 to go but I'll get there eventually.

I want it off fast, I don't wanna wait a yr 2 get 2 my goal of 125 lol
  • tenshi614
    Options
    What's your goal weight?

125 or 115, no I 4got 2 log but now that u reminded me lol. Cuz I have the fat flb from having the kids so I'm trying 2 tone my tummy so it goes away.
  • tenshi614
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Oh and by a few hours on xbox I ment like 2 if that between getting up and dealing with the baby.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    tenshi614 wrote: »
    What's your goal weight?

125 or 115, no I 4got 2 log but now that u reminded me lol. Cuz I have the fat flb from having the kids so I'm trying 2 tone my tummy so it goes away.

Sit ups won't get rid of belly fat.
    When you log your 3 hours of walking, only eat back 50-75% of what it says you burned as mfp it's notorious for overestimating calorie burn.
    If you can't stick to 1200 a day and you end up in a binge all the time, make a less aggressive goal like lose 1 pound a week. It will slow down weight loss, but you're less likely too binge.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Three hours of walking is a lot! Where do you walk? Do you take the baby? Just curious because depending on where you walk and other circumstances maybe other exercises can be added in to make it more intense and less time consuming.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options

She said she walks for about 3 hours in the morning. She can spend a little time on the Xbox if she wants.

OP If you are going to eat at 1200 calories per day you need to log your 3 hour walks and eat at least half of the exercise calories you burn from that back. I started at 195 on Sept 25th and I am down 43 pounds so about 7 months. I set my goal at 1300 calories plus I usually eat about 75% of my exercise calories so usually around 1400-1550 per day. I think you may be quite a bit more active than me. I'm close to your height but older and have a sedentary job. My main exercise is walking about 1 hour and 15 minutes per day and occasionally I do a yoga dvd. I think that you could easily eat 1400 calories per day and still lose weight. It might take a little longer, but slower weight loss is healthier and more sustainable. But if you are going to stick to 1200 be sure that you get plenty of protien and eat back some of the exercise calories.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options

With four kids, you should have learned some patience. :)

• evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

With 50 or so pounds to lose, 2 pounds a week is pretty aggressive. Everyone wants to lose weight and be at goal right now, but unfortunately it's going to take time. When you set such an aggressive goal, and start focusing on losing as fast as possible, you are setting yourself up to crash and burn. Take it from someone who has done many a crash diet over the years. When you over restrict and push yourself too hard only focusing on speed loss,there is almost always a rebound.
  • tenshi614
    Options
    What's your goal weight?

Sit ups won't get rid of belly fat.
    When you log your 3 hours of walking, only eat back 50-75% of what it says you burned as mfp it's notorious for overestimating calorie burn.
    If you can't stick to 1200 a day and you end up in a binge all the time, make a less aggressive goal like lose 1 pound a week. It will slow down weight loss, but you're less likely too binge.

Ok, what will get rid of the excess fat from the baby?
  • tenshi614
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Three hours of walking is a lot! Where do you walk? Do you take the baby? Just curious because depending on where you walk and other circumstances maybe other exercises can be added in to make it more intense and less time consuming.

I walk from my house 45 mins to a park with a lake and that takes an hour of my pace of walking, then 45 mins home. So about 3 hours. Yes I take the baby in the stroller.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit. Go with the number MFP gives you.