Is this a good idea?

Options

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    tenshi614 wrote: »
    I want it off fast, I don't wanna wait a yr 2 get 2 my goal of 125 lol

Please be patient and give yourself some grace. It's a marathon, not a sprint. The weight didn't come on overnight, and it won't leave that way, either. The idea is to develop sustainable habits you can maintain when you're done. You want to be able to preserve as much lean body mass (since you're not doing a lot of activities which may increase it) and at that calorie level, it could be tough to do so.

Just my two cents. :blush:
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    What's your goal weight?
    Are you logging those 3 hours of walking as exercise?
    Why are you doing 10 sit ups a day?

125 or 115, no I 4got 2 log but now that u reminded me lol. Cuz I have the fat flb from having the kids so I'm trying 2 tone my tummy so it goes away.

Sit ups won't get rid of belly fat.
    When you log your 3 hours of walking, only eat back 50-75% of what it says you burned as mfp it's notorious for overestimating calorie burn.
    If you can't stick to 1200 a day and you end up in a binge all the time, make a less aggressive goal like lose 1 pound a week. It will slow down weight loss, but you're less likely too binge.

Ok, what will get rid of the excess fat from the baby?

You can't spot reduce. The weight will just come off when it comes off. For me the belly is the last to go.
  • tenshi614
    tenshi614 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    if you have time to play xbox every day for "a few hours" you have time to exercised

She said she walks for about 3 hours in the morning. She can spend a little time on the Xbox if she wants.

OP If you are going to eat at 1200 calories per day you need to log your 3 hour walks and eat at least half of the exercise calories you burn from that back. I started at 195 on Sept 25th and I am down 43 pounds so about 7 months. I set my goal at 1300 calories plus I usually eat about 75% of my exercise calories so usually around 1400-1550 per day. I think you may be quite a bit more active than me. I'm close to your height but older and have a sedentary job. My main exercise is walking about 1 hour and 15 minutes per day and occasionally I do a yoga dvd. I think that you could easily eat 1400 calories per day and still lose weight. It might take a little longer, but slower weight loss is healthier and more sustainable. But if you are going to stick to 1200 be sure that you get plenty of protien and eat back some of the exercise calories.

See I havnt started the logging on walking till 2day but I just started this Tuesday, this routien, so I was hoping that it will work, but also I actually don't eat anything else in the day after the 1,200 calories without logging the walking, so I should b losing more faster I think, I will see I guess after a week. I didn't even think bout logging the walking so I dot even eat the 1,200 calories after all if I don't ever log the walking lol.
  • tenshi614
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    capaul42 wrote: »
    @tenshi614 I was on 1200 when I started at the same weight (181) though I'm a little taller at 5'6". And the pounds do come off (down 23 since Jan), but I did up it to 1300 last month because I found it was coming off a little too fast. Now I'm averaging about .6-1lb a week which is a little better. I've still got another 15-20 to go but I'll get there eventually.

With four kids, you should have learned some patience. :)

Lol I do have some but I have been working on my weight for over a yr now, but havnt counted calories, just changed my diet and it didn't seem like I was losing alot. Now I'm doing this new routine and I just wanted 2 see if it will work, so I was asking around for advice.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure what you are saying but MFP is designed for you to eat back at least some of your exercise calories.
  • tenshi614
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    @tenshi614 I was on 1200 when I started at the same weight (181) though I'm a little taller at 5'6". And the pounds do come off (down 23 since Jan), but I did up it to 1300 last month because I found it was coming off a little too fast. Now I'm averaging about .6-1lb a week which is a little better. I've still got another 15-20 to go but I'll get there eventually.

With 50 or so pounds to lose, 2 pounds a week is pretty aggressive. Everyone wants to lose weight and be at goal right now, but unfortunately it's going to take time. When you set such an aggressive goal, and start focusing on losing as fast as possible, you are setting yourself up to crash and burn. Take it from someone who has done many a crash diet over the years. When you over restrict and push yourself too hard only focusing on speed loss,there is almost always a rebound.

I didn't think with just walking and only eating 1,200 calories would b enough, but from what ppl on here are saying I didn't realize it was so aggressive, maybe I will lay off walking 2 days out of the week, or when I'm 2 tired from the baby lol. I didn't notice it was such an aggressive routine lol.
  • tenshi614
    Options
    Ok so I'm doing this diet and stuff and every one here is saying it's aggressive, ok so I will work on that. What can I do after the weight is down to get rid of the excess fat with the baby? Is just walking enough?
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The workouts aren't too aggressive but the calorie restriction can be. Keep walking. Log those calories and eat 50-75% of them back.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Replace two meals a day with replacement shakes or smoothies. Add steamed veggies to daily meal.

No. There's no need to not eat actual food.
  • evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ok so I'm doing this diet and stuff and every one here is saying it's aggressive, ok so I will work on that. What can I do after the weight is down to get rid of the excess fat with the baby? Is just walking enough?

Walking is fine, it's good exercise. Weight is lost in the kitchen, so as long as you are accurate with weighing your food and loging correctly you can lose weight doing no exercise at all.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You've been given some great advice here! Keep up the walking, it's heart healthy. Your need for speed is not realistic nor healthy. Have some patience and keep us up on your progress! Good luck!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    It's aggressive because losing more than 2 pounds a week isn't healthy. Eating 1200 calories a day and walking as exercise are good and it will work. But weight loss is not going to be fast. And you should net 1200 calories a day, so if you are eating 1200 calories and doing no exercise you will lose weight, but if you are exercising then you need to eat more or you will be netting lower than 1200 calories a day and that is dangerous to your health. Walking everyday isn't too aggressive. It is really good and I think an enjoyable way to spend time with the baby. But make sure you are eating enough. You didn't gain the weight quickly and you aren't going to be able to lose it quickly. If you want to lose it in a healthy, sustainable way then putting your stats in mfp and following the calorie recommendation they and eating back at least half of your exercise calories is the way to do it.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    There is extensive research that meal replacement shakes do the job. But not a long term solution. When you drop the poundage, you can return to moderation.

What would anyone have learned by doing something like this? If it's not a "long term" solution, why do it?

And what does extensive research mean?
  • tenshi614
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

Please be patient and give yourself some grace. It's a marathon, not a sprint. The weight didn't come on overnight, and it won't leave that way, either. The idea is to develop sustainable habits you can maintain when you're done. You want to be able to preserve as much lean body mass (since you're not doing a lot of activities which may increase it) and at that calorie level, it could be tough to do so.

Just my two cents. :blush:

Ok
  • tenshi614
    Options
    Replace two meals a day with replacement shakes or smoothies. Add steamed veggies to daily meal.

Ok
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids and my youngest is 1 too! I've lost 85 lbs since he was born and I'm currently about 125 lbs so it can be done. And I've been eating way more than 1200 calories a day even though I'm shorter than you. I'm eating 1700 a day now and still lose slowly if I stick to that.

Like others said, set your goal to lose 1 pound a week, 1.5 lbs a week max if you have to. Log your calories accurately and use a food scale so you know you're eating the correct amount. Log your exercise and eat back 50% of those calories. I love walking but I personally prefer more of a calorie burn in a shorter amount of time! Having 4 kids I just don't have time. So I do fitness blender videos in my basement during nap time. They're free on YouTube and an awesome workout!! You could check those out if you can't go to the gym.
  • tenshi614
    Options
    The workouts aren't too aggressive but the calorie restriction can be. Keep walking. Log those calories and eat 50-75% of them back.

Ok I will
  • tenshi614
    Options

No. There's no need to not eat actual food.

I like.smoothies lol
  • tenshi614
    Options

Walking is fine, it's good exercise. Weight is lost in the kitchen, so as long as you are accurate with weighing your food and loging correctly you can lose weight doing no exercise at all.

Ok I like the walking
  • tenshi614
    Options
    You've been given some great advice here! Keep up the walking, it's heart healthy. Your need for speed is not realistic nor healthy. Have some patience and keep us up on your progress! Good luck!

Lol ok I will b try 2 wait.