Hard Time Losing

Options
I have been on my journey since January and feel like I have been successful. My body is more toned. I have more muscle, etc. But! The number on the scare has been fluctuating very little. Any suggestions? I workout 6 days a week and have been working on my diet (thats the hardest part for me). Is it possible the I am not doing the right exercises? I usually walk in the mornings for at least 30 minutes. Then in the evenings do another hour, either of all swimming or an elliptical and swimming. I feel helpless!

Replies

• alphasigalum
    Options
    I feel the same way. I run, bike, kickbox, do cardio machines, etc. I heard that I should eat my calories back that I burn but I am seeing no results doing that. I have been stuck, maybe losing .6 a week. It's very frustrating. I think I am going to try to eat less of my calories earned. Also, I am sure the foods that I have been eating, haven't been helping. I have been going over on my sodium and also sugars. I am addicted to Frozen Yogurt, my boyfriend doesn't help. This week I am going to stay away from the fro-yo and watch the sodium and see if that helps.. I got to get to my goal. I am so close!
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The biggest part of losing is what you eat. It is hard to give advice without being able to see your food diary. Mine is open, feel free to take a look. I've been pretty successful and still have my fair share of indulgences. Good luck!
  • moremari
    moremari Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    that's all muscle girl. I've been fluctuating the same 2-3 lbs for 2+ months now and my friends on MFP have told me that from the looks of my diary, I'm not eating the right kinds of food. i.e. more fruits and veggies and less empty cals like simple carbs. I love the community support here. For me, it can be hard to log in everything (I have a fiendish sweet tooth), but I force myself to log accurately b/c I know if I don't log in that bowl of ice cream I had before dinner I'm only fooling myself. That's me. My next goal I am going to try eating the same things everyday ( 4-5 different meals to switch it up for variety) but that way I ensure that I'm getting 1200 cals. I'm hoping that will move the scale.

Good luck and keep me posted!
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    gracienkaidens_momma Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing the same thing. I need to cut down on the carbs, sugar and sodium. That's my biggest problem. The poster above me said it best that it's mostly about what you eat. Exercise will help too though. I heard some where that weight loss is determined 80% from what you eat and 20% from exercise. Good luck!
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Hope I didn't give the wrong impression. Exercise is important and I exercise almost everyday. I think it has been super important in my weight loss and overall health. But I think you are right with the 80/20 mix. Exercise alone won't make weight come off nearly as well as exercise and a good lower calorie diet.
  • samanthannepstein
    samanthannepstein Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a question. When I work out.. you know how the net calories thing changes.. and it says I am to eat more calories.. is that true? I understand how important eating is and that when I am active it is important to make sure that I am fueling my body-- but some days I burn ALOT of calories.. and then it calculates that I should be eating way more than the target that I started my day out with. Does that make sense?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    That long with no weight loss tells me that something is really wrong. The most obvious thing is you may be eating more than you think you are. Make sure you measure all your servings. The best way to do this is a good kitchen scale which can usually be found quite inexpensively if you shop around. I got mine on sale for $10 and it is a nice digital kitchen scale. If you have been measuring carefully, then it is less likely this is the problem, but I need to put it out there because in that many months if you had even a small calorie deficit you should have lost something. Also, make sure you log everything you eat, even small things add up very quickly.

The second possibility is you are eating the number of calories you are logging, but the allowance you have here at MFP may be too high. Sometimes people will pick a more active category than they should for their daily activity. If you happened to do that you would have too many calories allowed and that would stop weight loss, although it might be close to a maintenance level so your exercise would shape you up.

The third possibility is that your calories are fine, but there is a physical problem. You could have thyroid problems, PCOS, or something else. I include under this various medications that make weight loss very difficult. You may need to check with your doctor.

The fourth possibility that has been brought up is that you may need to consider what you eat. The proven things through research that help are higher protein and high fiber. They both help with feeling fuller longer.

I suggest you open your food diary so we can give suggestions based on what you are actually logging.
  • samanthannepstein
    Options
    I would like to clarify that I did begin this January at almost 280lbs. I am now down to 259. However, since I started using this program it has been only a 1 lb difference that keeps fluctuating. I think that you are right and I must have the calorie thing set to high? Not sure. I will open it.. I just don't know how to. :)

I really appreciate all of the helpful hints. I will be getting a scale to measure my food today!
  • samanthannepstein
    Options
    I am experiencing the same thing. I need to cut down on the carbs, sugar and sodium. That's my biggest problem. The poster above me said it best that it's mostly about what you eat. Exercise will help too though. I heard some where that weight loss is determined 80% from what you eat and 20% from exercise. Good luck!

My body seems to respond when I do not eat very many carbs. However, I then end up eating more protein.. in turn, more fat.