Replies

• 22Brentwoodgirl
    22Brentwoodgirl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Excellent. Thanks for posting!
  • 2strive4fitness
    2strive4fitness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I too am in the same age bracket with the same daily struggles and have been a master at beating myself up and the "all or nothing" philosophy and none of that has worked for me! I just recently started logging again with the attitude of one day at a time for life. I decided to look in the community section for some inspiration and guidance, and I stumbled across your post. Well it hit home, so thank you for sharing and reminding us that it is a life long venture, not a quick fix, and to love and forgive ourselves and to keep on keeping on! Thanks for sharing!
  • caughtredhandd83
    caughtredhandd83 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is amazing and thank you for sharing so much of yourself and your story. I can relate to so much of this. Please feel free to add me if you need another friend on here.
  • Tisa76
    Tisa76 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! I so needed to hear this today!
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    This is amazing and thank you for sharing so much of yourself and your story. I can relate to so much of this. Please feel free to add me if you need another friend on here.

I don't know how to add, but you can add me.
  • Melisandray
    Melisandray Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is the single best post I've read about "forging on." I'll be reading this frequently. Thank you for your wise words.
  • 0505jen
    0505jen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational I have enjoyed your blogs in the last couple of days. Saying it like it is even though it can be hard to hear.
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Great message. Thanks for sharing!
  • martyohio
    martyohio Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like this:
    "And I don’t lose control and “pig out” every day. Do you know why? Because I WANT to lose weight. I WANT to feel better. Most of the time I WANT to feel better and lose weight MORE than I want to eat a pizza and a bag of chips."

What I don't quite get is: isn't that depriving yourself? A friend, trying to be kind, advised me "don't deprive yourself!" and I thought "crap, I deprive myself every day!" But they are deprivations I want to make. Does that make it not count as a deprivation?
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You know it's a bit liberating reading your posts. The first one your words stuck in my head about making choices. That food is my choice, no one else's. I can't tell you how that smacked me in the face, because actually my subconscious believes what I eat isn't my choice. My Mother, my husband, my friends - I feel they all dictate me a bit and that I let them down. Stupid right!? What the hell.

This point about logging everything every day - I watched a seminar yesterday at work presented by a professor from Harvard. It was about bias. There were a few activities in there which pointed out how powerful our subconscious is. How we can be so focused on a task that we miss the ridiculously obvious or weird completely. Honestly it's so eye opening, watch something on you tube called "The Selective Attention Test"! I could not believe how blind 100% of the room was to it.

I believe your point about logging is related to that selective attention, a way to get us out of auto mode of past learnings and show us all the truth - to stop being blind. That's so important, you're so very right!

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    This is by far one of the best posts I've read on here.
  • lynder64
    lynder64 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    juliayadda wrote: »
    I want to pin this to my wall and read it every morning!

Me too!!!
  • martyohio
    martyohio Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Okay! I don't feel deprived, even though I deny myself many foods many times ... because I have a secret treat that I love, and indulge in all the time! Lifeway kefir.

It helps me choose to avoid those other foods since I know I'll be happy with the kefir.
  • bamfgoals
    bamfgoals Posts: 28 Member
    Options
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    natajane wrote: »
    You know it's a bit liberating reading your posts. The first one your words stuck in my head about making choices. That food is my choice, no one else's. I can't tell you how that smacked me in the face, because actually my subconscious believes what I eat isn't my choice. My Mother, my husband, my friends - I feel they all dictate me a bit and that I let them down. Stupid right!? What the hell.

This point about logging everything every day - I watched a seminar yesterday at work presented by a professor from Harvard. It was about bias. There were a few activities in there which pointed out how powerful our subconscious is. How we can be so focused on a task that we miss the ridiculously obvious or weird completely. Honestly it's so eye opening, watch something on you tube called "The Selective Attention Test"! I could not believe how blind 100% of the room was to it.

I believe your point about logging is related to that selective attention, a way to get us out of auto mode of past learnings and show us all the truth - to stop being blind. That's so important, you're so very right!

I will watch this! I do think that autopilot has everything to do with it. Habits are so hard to undo because it feels so good to stay on that well-groomed track in the brain--that little trough. After a while we will fight to stay in that trap while also not even being aware that we are even trapped in there. That's what it feels like when I want to eat the rest of the cookies in the bag, even when I don't really want them. Earlier, I decided to eat the rest of the cookies in the bag in my kitchen. I started out with the intention of eating two servings and I counted them out. But I had brought the whole bag up to my room and I knew the likelihood of eating more. I wanted to fool myself, then, when I knew I was going to eat the rest of the bag, I really wanted to ignore what I was doing. But I didn't. I ate all the cookies and kept myself aware the entire time. It's very odd to watch myself eat a bunch of cookies and not feel scared or guilty. I just feel like I ate a bag of cookies. It's a choice I made. I chose to do it. Part of me would rather I hadn't eaten them, but that old feeling of needing to punish myself isn't there. But good lord, it would be so easy to slip back into that old comfortable awful trap.
  • hannah82nz
    hannah82nz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow. I had to read this twice as my eyes were to watery the first time.
    Possibly the best advice / support / honest, heartfelt writing I've read on weight/food/dieting.
    I was literally halfway through a bowl of sugary cereal I had no intention of logging and I've chucked it.
    I'm saving this post to read every day.
    Thank you xx
  • hannah82nz
    hannah82nz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    qou174zmw0qz.gif

A hug from 10 would be enough motivation to do most things
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!