Is this a good idea?

Options

Replies

• tenshi614
    tenshi614 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    It's aggressive because losing more than 2 pounds a week isn't healthy. Eating 1200 calories a day and walking as exercise are good and it will work. But weight loss is not going to be fast. And you should net 1200 calories a day, so if you are eating 1200 calories and doing no exercise you will lose weight, but if you are exercising then you need to eat more or you will be netting lower than 1200 calories a day and that is dangerous to your health. Walking everyday isn't too aggressive. It is really good and I think an enjoyable way to spend time with the baby. But make sure you are eating enough. You didn't gain the weight quickly and you aren't going to be able to lose it quickly. If you want to lose it in a healthy, sustainable way then putting your stats in mfp and following the calorie recommendation they and eating back at least half of your exercise calories is the way to do it.

I am not hungry after I eat the lunch but I guess I will try 2 fit something in 2 do some calories
  • tenshi614
    Options
    There is extensive research that meal replacement shakes do the job. But not a long term solution. When you drop the poundage, you can return to moderation.
    There is extensive research that meal replacement shakes do the job. But not a long term solution. When you drop the poundage, you can return to moderation.

I know that but I do like smoothies
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    tenshi614 wrote: »
    if you have time to play xbox every day for "a few hours" you have time to exercised

She said she walks for about 3 hours in the morning. She can spend a little time on the Xbox if she wants.

OP If you are going to eat at 1200 calories per day you need to log your 3 hour walks and eat at least half of the exercise calories you burn from that back. I started at 195 on Sept 25th and I am down 43 pounds so about 7 months. I set my goal at 1300 calories plus I usually eat about 75% of my exercise calories so usually around 1400-1550 per day. I think you may be quite a bit more active than me. I'm close to your height but older and have a sedentary job. My main exercise is walking about 1 hour and 15 minutes per day and occasionally I do a yoga dvd. I think that you could easily eat 1400 calories per day and still lose weight. It might take a little longer, but slower weight loss is healthier and more sustainable. But if you are going to stick to 1200 be sure that you get plenty of protien and eat back some of the exercise calories.

See I havnt started the logging on walking till 2day but I just started this Tuesday, this routien, so I was hoping that it will work, but also I actually don't eat anything else in the day after the 1,200 calories without logging the walking, so I should b losing more faster I think, I will see I guess after a week. I didn't even think bout logging the walking so I dot even eat the 1,200 calories after all if I don't ever log the walking lol.

Fast weight loss makes it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. For a "toned" look you will want to keep the muscle mass you already have.

1200 before exercise is MFP's default minimum (1 size fits all)......so 1200 + 50% of your exercise calories would be healthier.
  • tenshi614
    Options
    I have 4 kids and my youngest is 1 too! I've lost 85 lbs since he was born and I'm currently about 125 lbs so it can be done. And I've been eating way more than 1200 calories a day even though I'm shorter than you. I'm eating 1700 a day now and still lose slowly if I stick to that.

Like others said, set your goal to lose 1 pound a week, 1.5 lbs a week max if you have to. Log your calories accurately and use a food scale so you know you're eating the correct amount. Log your exercise and eat back 50% of those calories. I love walking but I personally prefer more of a calorie burn in a shorter amount of time! Having 4 kids I just don't have time. So I do fitness blender videos in my basement during nap time. They're free on YouTube and an awesome workout!! You could check those out if you can't go to the gym.

Ok I walk the 45 mins to the lake cuz I like walking the lake, that takes an hr around the lake and the 45 mins back home walking.
  • tenshi614
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    if you have time to play xbox every day for "a few hours" you have time to exercised

She said she walks for about 3 hours in the morning. She can spend a little time on the Xbox if she wants.

OP If you are going to eat at 1200 calories per day you need to log your 3 hour walks and eat at least half of the exercise calories you burn from that back. I started at 195 on Sept 25th and I am down 43 pounds so about 7 months. I set my goal at 1300 calories plus I usually eat about 75% of my exercise calories so usually around 1400-1550 per day. I think you may be quite a bit more active than me. I'm close to your height but older and have a sedentary job. My main exercise is walking about 1 hour and 15 minutes per day and occasionally I do a yoga dvd. I think that you could easily eat 1400 calories per day and still lose weight. It might take a little longer, but slower weight loss is healthier and more sustainable. But if you are going to stick to 1200 be sure that you get plenty of protien and eat back some of the exercise calories.

See I havnt started the logging on walking till 2day but I just started this Tuesday, this routien, so I was hoping that it will work, but also I actually don't eat anything else in the day after the 1,200 calories without logging the walking, so I should b losing more faster I think, I will see I guess after a week. I didn't even think bout logging the walking so I dot even eat the 1,200 calories after all if I don't ever log the walking lol.

Fast weight loss makes it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. For a "toned" look you will want to keep the muscle mass you already have.

1200 before exercise is MFP's default minimum (1 size fits all)......so 1200 + 50% of your exercise calories would be healthier.

Ok I see.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Please cite this extensive research. Proof please, because I don't believe it. CICO is what works--not the shakes.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

"Return to moderation" makes no sense.

If we ate in moderation to begin with...........we wouldn't be here. There is no returning to moderation. It's learning moderation. Shakes have nothing to do with portion control. Instead shakes are about not having the hassle of measuring portions.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Just remember to log your food accurately! Food scale is a must. You wouldn't believe how much I was going over in the first month just guessing at sizes or servings. it doesn't matter much at first if you have a lot to lose, but unless you're weighing everything, I guarantee you're eating more than 1200 right now.
  • tenshi614
    edited April 2016
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Just remember to log your food accurately! Food scale is a must. You wouldn't believe how much I was going over in the first month just guessing at sizes or servings. it doesn't matter much at first if you have a lot to lose, but unless you're weighing everything, I guarantee you're eating more than 1200 right now.

I use the Barcode scanner and have measured most of the food with measuring cups
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options

I use the Barcode scanner and have measured most of the food with measuring cups

Measuring cups aren't accurate.
  • tenshi614
    Options

Oh, that's all I have.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Don't do sit-ups
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Replace two meals a day with replacement shakes or smoothies. Add steamed veggies to daily meal.

No. There's no need to not eat actual food.

I like.smoothies lol

There's no reason not to include smoothies within your calorie goals if you like them, but I wouldn't suggest replacing two meals per day with them. I've done that in the past and yes I did lose weight, but as soon as I stopped using them (because they were expensive!) I started to put weight back on. That's because the program didn't teach me anything about portion control, and my "eating normally" was just too much food.

What the previous poster said about "just return to moderation" after losing weight might be easier said than done, if you haven't learned moderation during the course of your loss. And using meal replacements really isn't going to teach you that.

I do understand your impatience and desire for fast weight loss, but it really would be better for you to learn portion control (via weighing your food) and good eating habits that you can sustain for a lifetime, rather than risk yoyo-ing.

Sadly, as others have said, we don't really have any control over where the weight comes off! But this thread might be helpful to you: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Good luck! :smile:

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

Oh, that's all I have.

Get yourself a food scale as soon as you can - they're not hugely expensive, I got a stylish little one from Wal-Mart for less than $20. Measuring cups and spoons are fine for liquids but not for solids (and even cups vary - my metal set holds a different amount to my plastic set).

If you're scanning barcodes, double-check the MFP entry against the packaging since they are entered by users and may not be accurate. Also, weigh the food anyway because very often even a single-serving pack contains more than it says - sometimes 50% over! Another very good reason for getting a food scale. It really is worth the money.
  • tenshi614
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Replace two meals a day with replacement shakes or smoothies. Add steamed veggies to daily meal.

No. There's no need to not eat actual food.

I like.smoothies lol

There's no reason not to include smoothies within your calorie goals if you like them, but I wouldn't suggest replacing two meals per day with them. I've done that in the past and yes I did lose weight, but as soon as I stopped using them (because they were expensive!) I started to put weight back on. That's because the program didn't teach me anything about portion control, and my "eating normally" was just too much food.

What the previous poster said about "just return to moderation" after losing weight might be easier said than done, if you haven't learned moderation during the course of your loss. And using meal replacements really isn't going to teach you that.

I do understand your impatience and desire for fast weight loss, but it really would be better for you to learn portion control (via weighing your food) and good eating habits that you can sustain for a lifetime, rather than risk yoyo-ing.

Sadly, as others have said, we don't really have any control over where the weight comes off! But this thread might be helpful to you: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Good luck! :smile:

Ok ty I will look into it
  • tenshi614
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Don't do sit-ups

What's wrong with them?
  • tenshi614
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

Oh, that's all I have.

Get yourself a food scale as soon as you can - they're not hugely expensive, I got a stylish little one from Wal-Mart for less than $20. Measuring cups and spoons are fine for liquids but not for solids (and even cups vary - my metal set holds a different amount to my plastic set).

If you're scanning barcodes, double-check the MFP entry against the packaging since they are entered by users and may not be accurate. Also, weigh the food anyway because very often even a single-serving pack contains more than it says - sometimes 50% over! Another very good reason for getting a food scale. It really is worth the money.

Ok I will try when we get paid.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have some backup/alternative exercises. What are you going to do if you have a sick kid? With four kids they could pass an illness around for a couple weeks. What if it is raining or there is a chance of rain? Its one thing to go out and exercise in bad weather when it is just you, it is another when you are dragging a child along with you. Also there will be times when you can't dedicate three hours to exercising and it might be better to get in a short workout instead of your usual long one.

Since you are new here, don't worry about replying to everyone's posts. Sometimes just leave the computer and let the debate spin for a while. Usually the bad ideas are squashed and a consensus emerges. It is better to say "OK" to what eventually emerges than to everything that is thrown against the wall.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,189 Member
    Options
    I'm around your size (5'5", SW 183) but much older (60) and ate at 1200 net for a while. (When I say "net", I mean I was eating back all my exercise calories in addition to the 1200.) I lost weight, but for me it was too big a deficit. I got fatigued.

I lost most of my weight at 1400-1500 net (more like 1600-1800 calories eaten most days), and felt a lot better. I started last April (2015). I hit 155 in mid-July, 140 in mid-September, and 125 in late December.

I was intentionally slowing my weight loss by increasing my calorie goal as I got closer to weight goal, as one post above correctly recommends; and I indulged somewhat over the holidays, besides. In general, though, I was very consistent about hitting my calorie goal, with only a few days during the whole period when I went significantly over.

Lowest weight, 116.8, was early this month. That's a little too low for my body configuration; I'm currently closer to 120, which is better. I'm working on maintaining, and have been working since January on finding the right calorie level to do that.

Your details may differ, but at 1200 (if you stick to it meticulously), you would lose. You may be able to lose consistently at a higher calorie level, as I did, but experience will tell you whether your calorie goal is working, and whether you can sustain it happily (I couldn't sustain 1200).

That said, I endorse others' advice about losing slowly and healthily. I tried to do that throughout, but actually had some (surprising) difficulty in slowing down my loss as much as I was trying to do. The food scale will be extremely helpful, and it's also less fussy/easier than measuring everything in cups.

Hope that helps.