so you count calories like money?

Options
my girlfriend and i lost weight together a few years ago and we realized that we talked about calories and food like they were money. As in "I love cheesecake but I just can't afford it" or That burger was so good but it was NOT worth 600 calories" Or " I can't go out to eat I am out of calories". You soon learn to assign worth to foods based on how much they "cost" in calories and how much "value" you get out of them. Just wondered if anyone else thought of it that way?

Replies

• corimac
    corimac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good point- oh and i find myseld "budgeting" them all day!
  • verlouria
    verlouria Posts: 21
    Options
    YES!! Exactly or trying to exercise so you can "earn" more calories to spend. Ha Ha!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Sometimes.
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I wish I was as careful with my money as I am with my calories...
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    :laugh:

so true!
  • Mveler
    Mveler Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Yep 100% agree.
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Good point- oh and i find myseld "budgeting" them all day!

same here
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    Yep I do -and whenever I have an overdraft - I have to totally make a deposit to make up for it! LOL :)
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Im going to start doing that great idea!
  • OliveLucas
    OliveLucas Posts: 84
    Options
    sounds like me... LOL :laugh:

wish i had more money, and wish i had more calories allowance :noway:
  • Aggiegirl92
    Options
    I find myself speaking to my husband about my calories/food exactly like it is my 'budget' for the day...I guess I think this way because I am frugal with money so I am equally careful with my calories (now that I am keeping track of them that is). This way of thinking has really helped me out with this process! Good luck to you!
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I do!! When friends want to know how I'm losing weight I explain it like this:

Each morning I wake up to find that some one has left 1400 calories at my door to spend however I would like during the day. If I want a bit more, I can exercise and earn more calories to spend. Once I run out, I can't afford to eat anything else.

I use the same lingo you guys use. Sometimes it cracks me up how much I feel calories are like dollars...
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    LOL good point and now that you mention it, I find myself doing the same. :P
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm always doing this!! One of my frequent thoughts is "oh blimey, that's waaaay to expensive for me!". I'm talking calories too, of course!!!
  • meka325
    meka325 Posts: 47
    Options
    I kind of think of it that way. Like each day, I have so much in an account and I'm allowed to spend that much and then a little more gets put in when I exercise, etc. It's kind of easy and fun to relate it to something well...relatable...like keeping your checkbook balanced.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I 'save' some for a rainy day....the evenings!
  • gtbalm
    gtbalm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've never thought of it like that before.....but I will from now on! LOL, thanks for pointing that out :)
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Yep. I am an accountant so I treat it like my money budget and it works perfect for me.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I sure do!!!
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I find myself talking like that to my boyfriend often lately.