stretch marks and saggy skin

Options
Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask those that have been dieting for some time now, how did they prevent getting stretch marks and saggy skin, I can see stretch marks appearing on my stomach, I really dont want have saggy skin.

Replies

• godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, there's nothing you can do short of surgery. Saggy skin is part of extreme weight loss. As for stretch marks, you get them when the skin is stretched, so from gain not loss. You may see them now, but they are there from when you gained.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've been reading that to prevent saggy skin (as much as possible ) is to lift weights as you lose .. Best way to tighten up
  • Georgiagiant82
    Georgiagiant82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have several friends that have had Gastric Bypass and they each take Fish Oil capsules to help with loose skin. You can google it also. They've all told me it helped them.

Like the hzl22 said though.. Lifting weights to build muscle is the best way to go. It takes time but one thing we all have learned in our journey is patience lol.

Best of luck to you!
  • jayrow473
    jayrow473 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well I am working on the patience lol. I tell myself it's gonna be a journey but my mind tells me different you know those little games your mind tells you but I am just gonna stay with it I know it's the only way no matter how long it takes.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Are we allowed to put links here? Sorry if not. I started using this lotion by Reviva labs the first time I had lost weight 3 years ago, and in my mind it really seemed to tighten up my skin. Gained some weight back, but started re-losing 4 months ago. Anyway, I wasn't using the lotion the second time around, and noticed the surface of my skin on my stomach, thighs, butt, etc. was looking kind of sad (a little rippled, not soft and smooth) so I started using this lotion again. Honestly, I can tell the difference in skintone. I'm not sure if it's supposed to help with stretchmarks, but mine do seem to be shrinking back with the rest of my skin. What I mean by that is, they are still there, but they blend into my skin, and they lay flush, not protruding or otherwise overly noticeable. I'm also doing my best to lose at a reasonable rate (between 1.5-2 lbs a week), and I run a lot, starting doing some strength training videos, and take lots of supplements. I know that this lotion will only do so much...I had abdominal surgery when I was young, so instead of having one tummy like everyone else, mine is split up the middle and I unfortunately have two, which trust me, looks worse than one. Anyway, here is the product I use. I also use it on my face sometimes, my skin just sucks it up. Love it. REALLY love that it's not expensive either. http://www.vitacost.com/reviva-labs-elastin-and-collagen-body-firming-lotion?q=reviva+body&ta=reviva+body
  • ehsan_1986
    ehsan_1986 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your informative posts, I hope that I can avoid the saggy skin :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I gained 60 pounds in both my pregnancies, my waist got up to 45inches around both times. Right now my waist is 27 inches and the only time I ever notice my extra skin is when I bend over or when I do planks.
    I got awful stretch marks from the first pregnancy and got even more after the second. I'm in between co2 resurfacing sessions right now. I noticed a small difference after the first session, I get my next session in a week.
  • dazzle660
    dazzle660 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    MSM lotion should help. Also, fish oil and oral msm. If you do not have a sulfur allergy. MSM also has some other awesome benefits!!!!
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I lost 130 pounds over the course of a year and a half and have been trying just about every trick in the book to try to stop the saggy skin when I first noticed that it started popping up. I'm also doing body recomp, and as I've lost the fat, the saggy skin has gotten worse, not better. No matter what I do to treat it.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm either going to have to accept the saggy skin or try to figure out how to spend a fortune I don't have for surgery.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Lifting weights, creams, losing slowly can help, but...

and there's a big but....

it is a question of how much weight you lost, how wide your stretch marks were, how long you carried the extra weight, where you carry it, age and the quality of your skin (genetics) etc etc.

After losing 35% of my body weight (life long overweighter, most of my weight gain during puberty and quickly) my skin did not 'bounce' back. My weight was mainly on my front torso (stomach, abs, bust). After achieving my goal at the age of 44 I had my breasts 'rehung' and my belly and ab flaps removed in two separat operations. They took off over 1kg of skin. So glad I could afford to do it (insurance only paid for 20%). I feel much more comfortable in my body, jumping and running are a breeze and I can actually find bras and clothes that hold everything else into place. My inner thighs and inner upper arms are not pretty. I have learned to accept that, but I am very glad I had the skin removal on my front side.

There are people that have lost 100lb+ and do not have alot of extra skin....lucky them. I was not one of them. If you opt to 'just' accept your body with the saggy skin, good for you!! If you don't have alot, wait....it can take 2yrs for the skin to find it's final form. Having my skin removed was a personal decision and a promise to myself to never return to my former self. My new birthday suit tells me very clearly, when the weight is creeping up and I have to be more careful. My old one was too loose for that ;-)
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I do some dry skin brushing, LOTS of water drinking and fish oil does help keep my skin soft and conditioned. I'm also going to work at lifting(heavy) to help in the journey. I will probably have some but the main worry spot of mine is arms. I don't care if I ever wear a bikini in public. I've gone 36 years without one and I really don't have a desire for that. I don't even mind wearing board shorts over my one piece now. I already have hangy arms after pregnancy induced hypertension and fluid retention in my arms caused some once that edema went away after.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Palmers cocoa butter oil is really good for stretch marks.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Exercise and slow gradual weightloss. Losing too fast wont let your skin go back if its really stretched out. But sometimes you cant stop it. But im sure you can look ways up to prevent it.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    What does dry skin brushing do to tighten skin?
    I do some dry skin brushing, LOTS of water drinking and fish oil does help keep my skin soft and conditioned. I'm also going to work at lifting(heavy) to help in the journey. I will probably have some but the main worry spot of mine is arms. I don't care if I ever wear a bikini in public. I've gone 36 years without one and I really don't have a desire for that. I don't even mind wearing board shorts over my one piece now. I already have hangy arms after pregnancy induced hypertension and fluid retention in my arms caused some once that edema went away after.

• Mrsgervase
    Mrsgervase Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Lose slowly while building muscle. Lift heavy weights doing core exercises (the tummy area is usually the trickiest) obviously do this safely don't overdo it
  • BlessedMoon
    BlessedMoon Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Dry brushing benefits actually does include tightening skin: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/21/dry-skin-brushing-benefits-cellulite_n_1811708.html
  • ehsan_1986
    ehsan_1986 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for advice, feels great to hear other people are on the same journey and are working hard to achieve their goals, good on you all!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!